Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

This is a discussion on Boycotting businesses that ban firearms within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jumpwing These people don't give a crap about your rights, American history, the Constitution, or anything else outside of your wallet. They ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post

These people don't give a crap about your rights, American history, the Constitution, or anything else outside of your wallet. They want to bring in money, that's what businesses do. When you start injecting rants or insults it only makes you look like what they believe all of us already are: wackos.
    This is so true. Say your peace, but do it with a little educated common sense.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I appreciate the replies! Yes, there will always be variables in a situation where your firearm is not welcomed at a business. I don't think my original post is broad enough to address every possibility, but it could easily be applied to many of them.

It's true that boycotts are weak unless they have significant numbers behind them. Even then they may not have the impact we would like to see. But then how much less of an impact -- or possibly how counterproductive -- is it to present oneself as a stereotypical "gun nut" when expressing your displeasure with a store policy?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    In most cases, boycotts on a local level don't work. Period. They are merely a "feel good" attempt to change policy.

Please note the use of "most" as a qualifier.
    I agree it doesn't work much of the time.

However, it is worth the effort, IMHO -- as I have turned a couple of restaurants around.

FFIIW, I've not experienced any "feel good" in an attempt to change policy. But I sure have "felt good" when I did see a "No Gun" sigh come down.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Jumpwing, good, intelligent, well written letter. I too, copied it to Word for future use as a template. Airborne, All The Way! (Formerly with the 101st back in the day when we jumped, rather than rode in choppers.)
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

+100

Thanks very much for this. I've tried saying this a few different ways in a thread that may or may not exist on this forum but it just doesn't seem to compute for some. This is a far more effective method of approaching anti-defensive carry policies. It very politely explains the reality of the flaw in their policy without getting them agitated over bad press, flawed arguments, and like you said "old cliche's". It's important to remember that most people don't understand WHY we even would want to carry a firearm. Starting an argument with them that they're wrong for having such a policy is only going to hurt your chances.

P.S. This went straight into my Gmail drafts with the subject "RE: Policy against legally carried defensive firearms" Booya!
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

I concur, thank you for posting OP.

I saved the letter for future use. I usually just hand them my bussiness card and don't come back....

Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Oooh, now I like that!

*edit* I tracked down the publisher of that and it happens that he has a generic version of it!
    http://www.macvanpublishing.com/mike...ey_Generic.pdf
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post
    Oooh, now I like that!

*edit* I tracked down the publisher of that and it happens that he has a generic version of it!
    http://www.macvanpublishing.com/mike...ey_Generic.pdf
    I was going to keep that my secret...LOL not really... Glad you found it before somebody asked me for it.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Those cards are awesome!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Those cards are awesome!
    VCDL's cards are nearly identical.

As I've posted before:

Holidays, birthdays, etc I take the extended family out to a meal, which on occasion run into some serious money. I always, staple the receipt to one of those cards and drop it off at or mail it to an anti-RKBA restaurant near the one that got my business.

Last edited by DaveH; June 8th, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice letter. Length is good, no ranting; anything over one page gets tossed.

Unfortunately, unless it's a small business that's hungry for sales, the truth is the number of people who CC and will turn away and go elsewhere is so small as to be insufficient to the profit margin. But it can't hurt; all they can say is no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thank you!

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Thumbs up

The letter and the cards are great, way to go both of you very well said. I am saving both for future use. Thanks

We had a no guns sign go up in walmart. I approached the manager of the store and informed him of the "corporate policy" of walmart. I explained that the sign would only stop the legal guns from coming in. I actually showed him some rough looking guys in the store that were printing. To make a long story short, the gun signs came down within twenty four hours. So did the signs in neighboring walmart. I failed to also advised that an email was sent to the Corporate office at walmart with the same info that I had told the store manager. This manager got a phone call while I was in the store to tell him the signs should come down.

I know that my CC instructor also sent an email to walmart. It does help if you approach the establishment with solid facts, and of course you should act like you are the law abiding citizen you are claiming to be by being calm, polite and not attack the manger.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links