Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

This is a discussion on Boycotting businesses that ban firearms within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I approached my employer policy very professionally and received positive results (posted in another thread). It does work much better than coming off way out ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

I approached my employer policy very professionally and received positive results (posted in another thread). It does work much better than coming off way out there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

most businesses ban CCW or open carry due to liability reasons. sometimes they can't get insurance without doing so.

if a customer were to be accidentally shot by a ccw, the shooter and the business can be sued.

several local gunshops in my area have banned carry for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    most businesses ban CCW or open carry due to liability reasons.
    that's short-sighted because in so doing they open themselves to liability suits from victims when someone is assaulted on their property while being denied the ability to defend themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    that's short-sighted because in so doing they open themselves to liability suits from victims when someone is assaulted on their property while being denied the ability to defend themselves
    case in point?

businesses can be sued regardless of whether the victim is legally armed or not. everyone sues everyone else in this country.

case in point?

businesses can be sued regardless of whether the victim is legally armed or not. everyone sues everyone else in this country.
    I agree that businesses and individuals are sued for pretty much anything these days. Then what would be point of banning legal carry?

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    I agree that businesses and individuals are sued for pretty much anything these days. Then what would be point of banning legal carry?

the reason i outlined in post #32

(business tend to reduce their liability as much as possible)

i'm of course not anti-CCW, but at the same time, i understand the reason why some ban the practice on their premises. this country is too litigious-that's why we are in serious need of tort reform. it's not a 2A assault.

the reason i outlined in post #32

(business tend to reduce their liability as much as possible)

i'm of course not anti-CCW, but at the same time, i understand the reason why some ban the practice on their premises. this country is too litigious-that's why we are in serious need of tort reform.
    That's my point though, how much does it actually decrease their liability when they can be sued either way?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
    Anyone can be sued; can you cite any cases where the plaintiff in such suits won? I don't believe it has yet happened.

It's my understanding that companies cannot be held liable for the actions of third parties on their property, other than their employees.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Anyone can be sued; can you cite any cases where the plaintiff in such suits won? I don't believe it has yet happened.

It's my understanding that companies cannot be held liable for the actions of third parties on their property, other than their employees.
    I think the key word in your first paragraph is "yet". A few years back, the idea of a tobacco company being held responsible for someone choosing to smoke and coming to harm as a result was laughable to most people...until the first jury went along.

As far as the second paragraph, I don't believe that is true if the jury finds that the company, either through action or inaction, created an environment that contributed to the injury.

However...IANAL

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Did anyone notice all the well known celebrities?

VIP Member
    Well written letter. I did go to the list of anti gun places and people and now I guess I will not shop or do business where there is a union, AFL/CIO anti gun, will not watch baseball, I dont anyway but the KC Royals are anti gun, Not go to movies or listen to certain music because the actor or singer is anti gun and the theater if owned by a certain company is anti gun.
    I will no longer go to certain hospitals or be treated or have my family treated because many of the top medical orginazations are anti gun.
    I will no longer have anything to do with certain people until I determine what groups they belong to. The planned trip to Disney world with the kids is off since the CEO of Disney is on the list.
    I truly understand the sending of letters to a business saying you will take your money elsewhere but does it really make any difference? With all the places, businesses, and people listed we support anti gun movements everyday of our lives. No trying to start a war here but they, the anti gunners, do hold a lot of strong cards from the deck and we cannot avoid doing business with them or supporting them with our money in one way shape or form.
    Just my opinion.
    Last edited by HotGuns; July 21st, 2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: amended
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Good letter. When I write I usually add that the Wal-mart where I usually shop for groceries, sundries, clothing, and various household items was recently held up at gunpoint, and any denial of my 2A right to keep and bear arms puts me unnecessarily into harms way should I opt to shop at their store.
    Why is it "shall not be infringed" is among the most misunderstood clauses of our Constitution?

I'm a Virginia Tech Alum, and that tragedy was avoidable! Even after losing more than twenty bright young minds, they still don't get it. I hope others do, and soon.

DOCTRUPTWN......et al,

I stole your card and reprinted a few copies. I gave one to the manager of the "Tuesday Morning" store in Warrenton, Va. as it was posted at the door. I even had the clerk have him come to the door so that I didn't transgress into his space. That was a few weeks ago.

Yesterday, I was passing by and the posting was missing. I went inside and found something I liked. The manager was at the counter ringing up sales. I thanked him for removing the sign and assured that I would be back as a customer again. He said it was a "Corporate Decision" and did not seem much pleased with it. He complained to me that one person came for a job interview carrying a pistol, and didn't get the job.

Oh, well....can't please everybody.
    Last edited by Zsnake; July 1st, 2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

What erks me the most is sporting goods stores, or LGS's that have no firearms, no loaded firearms, or no CC signs on their door.

They want to sell them, but don't want you to carry them in their store. HA!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post

A business can come out ahead in a lawsuit and still lose large sums of money in the form of lawyers fees. They could also stand to lose future profits due to bad publicity.

Michael

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links