Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

This is a discussion on Boycotting businesses that ban firearms within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A bit of an in-house rant here... There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a twist over a store's policy of banning ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar

Cool Boycotting businesses that ban firearms

A bit of an in-house rant here...

There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a twist over a store's policy of banning firearms. It's not personal from their end and it shouldn't be personal from ours. Shouts of outrage and angry letters using tired cliche's don't help. It's really very, very simple: Stop spending your money there and send them a polite letter as to why.

"Dear _______

I have recently discovered that your store policy forbids the legal carrying of firearms on its premises. I notice also that your store has no measures in place to prevent this from happening, and only a small number of security personnel who are not equipped to intervene on behalf of my safety in the event that a person with violent intentions should disregard your policy.

While I respect your right to enact policy on your own property, I believe I cannot safely shop in your stores. I must also recommend to those whom I care about that their safety is similarly jeopardized.

Please notify me if this policy changes as I would like to resume visiting your stores. Several of your competitors have adopted a firearm policy that simply mirrors the laws of the state in which each outlet is respectively located. I hope that you will at least consider affording as much to your own customers.

Sincerely,
    Your Name"

These people don't give a crap about your rights, American history, the Constitution, or anything else outside of your wallet. They want to bring in money, that's what businesses do. When you start injecting rants or insults it only makes you look like what they believe all of us already are: wackos.

And if you back them up against a legal or philosophical wall, you're going to lose because they have a right to make policy for their privately owned property just like you do. Don't open that can of worms, you're only going to look like a hypocrite.

They have the right to make policy, you have the right to spend your money elsewhere. It's that simple. Let them know it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

Nicely Stated.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    A bit of an in-house rant here...

There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a twist over a store's policy of banning firearms. It's not personal from their end and it shouldn't be personal from ours. Shouts of outrage and angry letters using tired cliche's don't help. It's really very, very simple: Stop spending your money there and send them a polite letter as to why.

"Dear _______

I have recently discovered that your store policy forbids the legal carrying of firearms on its premises. I notice also that your store has no measures in place to prevent this from happening, and only a small number of security personnel who are not equipped to intervene on behalf of my safety in the event that a person with violent intentions should disregard your policy.

While I respect your right to enact policy on your own property, I believe I cannot safely shop in your stores. I must also recommend to those whom I care about that their safety is similarly jeopardized.

Please notify me if this policy changes as I would like to resume visiting your stores. Several of your competitors have adopted a firearm policy that simply mirrors the laws of the state in which each outlet is respectively located. I hope that you will at least consider affording as much to your own customers.

Sincerely,
    Your Name"

These people don't give a crap about your rights, American history, the Constitution, or anything else outside of your wallet. They want to bring in money, that's what businesses do. When you start injecting rants or insults it only makes you look like what they believe all of us already are: wackos.

And if you back them up against a legal or philosophical wall, you're going to lose because they have a right to make policy for their privately owned property just like you do. Don't open that can of worms, you're only going to look like a hypocrite.

They have the right to make policy, you have the right to spend your money elsewhere. It's that simple. Let them know it.
    I'm going to copy this into Word for future use...

OK?

Good job, thanks...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Jumpwing - Excellent post, and I agree completely.

Well said! To your point win with intelligence and spend elsewhere.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Great post. I read these threads on here and other places and I've often wanted to reply and state the samething but I usually just keep my mouth shut.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

And some companies are just so ideologically opposed I just don't waste my time worrying about them.

One thing I learned in school. Business letters need to be short and sweet. If they are too long they get file 13'd. Make it short enough, and to the point, that they are done with it before they get tired of it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Names Named

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post

To help with addresses, the National Rifle Association has a list of anti-gun businesses with addresses to help your letter writing campaign.

Hope that helps.
    Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA http://wx5em.us
    http://kc5fm.blogspot.com

In most cases, boycotts on a local level don't work. Period. They are merely a "feel good" attempt to change policy.

Please note the use of "most" as a qualifier.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I have always wondered about the people who say then never engage anti's in discussions because you will never change their mind, but are quick to engage in long back and forth discussions with private business.

Excellent post. Could not agree more

Quote Originally Posted by rightdog View Post
    I have always wondered about the people who say then never engage anti's in discussions because you will never change their mind, but are quick to engage in long back and forth discussions with private business.

Excellent post. Could not agree more
    The difference is that most anti's feel they have nothing to lose. It is only a belief or opinion for them. They see no immediate repercussions to their belief. A small business owner has more at stake. The possible loss of customers and profit must be taken into account.

Michael

Boycott Businesses for OC or CC??

+100 all. Copied to my Word Doc and am building a Mail Trail to send to. There are too many companies out there that do not care for security of their customers. I do and will not shop there.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

In some states a "no guns" sign has no weight of law so it doesn't matter. I'm also betting that sometimes people have no choice but to occasionally shop at a store that has one of those signs even if their state upholds the sign and they must disarm legally. Some places where the only store for hours in each direction might have such a policy. What do you do then? It's unfortunate.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I like the letter. I think it might also help to specifically list some of the competing stores that are firearm-friendly which you will be taking your business to.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I like your letter template. I may unse it the next time I see a sign.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links