OC Sort-of - Page 2

OC Sort-of

This is a discussion on OC Sort-of within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like many others am not insulted but rather worried for his safety, what would happen if God forbid he did get into a situation ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OC Sort-of

I like many others am not insulted but rather worried for his safety, what would happen if God forbid he did get into a situation where someone with a real gun would make the decision to draw and fire on a BG...

I have heard "never bring a knife to a gun fight", I think the "never bring a toy gun to a real gun fight" statement holds even more truth!
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by jabo2818 View Post
    I dont see it as an insult, I see it as being dangerous. Tell your buddy that if he wants to support OCing, then get a real Sig and leave the toys to kids.
    This!

I think the best thing he could do would be to either stop w/the airsoft or start carrying The Real Thing. Conceivably, someone might see his "OCing" as a challenge and pull a real gun on him. Or almost as bad - he brags to some Anti's who then think he's some sort of "gun nut" wannabe.

Here's hoping you can convert him!
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

I too just see this as dangerous. What the heck is he going to do if he turns down the wrong alley carrying a toy gun.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Lets hope your friend doesn't have to stare down the barrel of a real gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Oh dear

I hope he doesn't start carrying a CCW badge too...
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

Phoenix police say a 21-year-old Sean Sexton, an Arizona State University student, went bats--- crazy outside a local check cashing store on October 28. Sexton fired an Airsoft rifle at the store’s windows, causing more than $15,000 worth of damage.

Mug Shot Fail: Arizona State Student in Tears [PIC]
    Last edited by StogieC; June 14th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

First off, AirSoft is fun. If you've never tried it, give it a go. It's exercise that has a bit of "force-on-force" "training" added in. And it's far less expensive than simunition training. And there are dedicated "ranges" where AS enthusiasts "wage war" on each other.

Having said that, only a fool would sport an AirSoft weapon when he/she isn't on the AS field. Never mind that in many locations doing so can be against the law.

Imagine a group of sports in the McDonald's strapped with AS "weapons". What would the scene look like if one of them pulled one out of its holster since "it's just a toy". How would that scenario play out?

That mug shot of the Sexton kid made me wonder what would happen had a LEO or lawfully armed citizen witnessed him brandishing a weapon. I shudder to think that "fearing for one's life" caused a shooting, but most AS guns are model to look like the real deal.

Take a look at VA 18.2.282 (emphasis mine):
    18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

B. Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.

C. For purposes of this section, the word "firearm" means any weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel single or multiple projectiles by the action of an explosion of a combustible material. The word "ammunition," as used herein, shall mean a cartridge, pellet, ball, missile or projectile adapted for use in a firearm.
    I'm sure other jurisdictions have similarly worded law.

I remember once years ago I was playing paintball and we went out to eat afterward....I was still carrying my pistol on my hip (PB pistol modeled to look like a Mk23)... now I that I think back at that...it was very thoughtless of me.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Sounds dangerous. For him. Kind of like carrying rubber knife.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Kid walks up to him, "Is that a real gun?"

"NO, it's airsoft."

Another generation of misinformation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well I had a chance to sit down and talk to him and I have convinced him to discontinue OCing the airsoft. We talked at length about the problems that it could cause and interjected the information from this thread into the conversation. After the discussion, he had a better understanding of the problems that OCing a "toy" gun could cause. After our discussion (and a firearm safety lesson) I took him to my personal range and we let loose with some of his airsoft guns and I showed him some real ones. Many of the airsofts he has could easily be mistaken for the real thing.

He grew up some that day, I could see a difference in him.

I am going to join him in one the Airsoft Events that he participates in. He has two Marines (retired), and former SWAT Officer, and a Rangers (retired) on his team, the rest are civilians like him. The team is a total of 10 Members and they rotate depending on the scenario. They train together in-between "missions". As novasig226r mentioned this might be a way for me to get some good information and training with some of his teammates.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links