OC Sort-of

OC Sort-of

This is a discussion on OC Sort-of within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a bud that, as of the last I'd seen him, wasn't anti-gun, but wasn't really pro-gun either. Last time we talked (been a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Sort-of

OC Sort-of

I have a bud that, as of the last I'd seen him, wasn't anti-gun, but wasn't really pro-gun either. Last time we talked (been a few years) he didn't own any firearms. We had a few talks and he had no problem with me having firearms he just saw no need for them other than hunting, but agreed that the 2nd guarenteed our ownership rights.

Ok. So I ran into him today. I was OC'ing my Glock 19 in a Serpa CQC and on his hip was a Sig Sauer also in a Serpa. I was shocked at first when I saw the Sig. We stood there for a few minutes talking and he asked me about my sidearm. I talked Glocks for a few and the I said "How long have you had your Sig?". He said that he have just gotten in and that it arrived via FedEx only a few weeks ago. I was then confused. I ask him where he got it and he said that he has ordered it off the Internet. I asked him the caliber and he looked puzzled and then grinned at me and said, "This isn't a real gun, it is an airsoft replica." Now I was really confused. I asked why he was carrying an airsoft and not a actual firearm. He told me that he has gotten big into airsoft and has about 30 airsofts. He is OCing the airsoft to support the OC movement, as he doesn't own any real firearms. I've invited him over this weekend to show him a few actual firearms and he is bringing over some airsofts to show me. The one he was carrying is made by Sig Sauer to be just like the real thing except it has the orange tip on the barrel, but you could not see the orange while it was holstered.

I'm going to try getting him to OC the real thing as I think he is asking for trouble OCing the airsoft as it is actually useless other than a showpiece. If he needs a weapon, he is still lacking.

What do you think? If someone wanted to OC sometime to show support of the OC movement would OCing an realistic replica be acceptable or is it more like an insult?

Like I said before, In the holster you cannot tell it is an airsoft, only when removed. Only the tip of the barrel is orange. The gun is metal and the slide operates. Had me fooled, until (in private) he removed it from the holster and handed it to me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

I dont see it as an insult, I see it as being dangerous. Tell your buddy that if he wants to support OCing, then get a real Sig and leave the toys to kids.
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

VIP Member
    Sort of strange.

Sometimes I just don't understand some folks?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

OC Sort-of

I think his heart is in the right place and he shouldn't be discouraged, per se.

I would encourage him to seek training and carry a proper firearm. Also, OCing an Airsoft--a type of 1st Amendment protest--can be dangerous if confronted by a lethal threat.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Games some people play.......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

What do you think? If someone wanted to OC sometime to show support of the OC movement would OCing an realistic replica be acceptable or is it more like an insult?
    I'm not insulted. I'm worried. Worried for his safety.
    I don't carry because of any OC movement.
    I carry a gun for my personal protection and I OC because it is more comfortable when carrying a full sized pistol than if I tried to conceal it. I don't want to recruit people to open carry. I encourage people to carry a gun for their protection.
    I want those people to know, should they decide to carry for their protection, Open Carry is a legal option in this State.
    I want the police to know so that I am not unduly harrassed for doing something which isn't illegal.
    I want the public to knnow so that the sight of someone Open Carrying doesn't result in a MWAG call to 911.
    Steve
    member, La Open Carry Awareness League

Could put a EYE OUT ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm sure it would be great to train with. Not insulted, a bit confused though. If he wants to support OC without a real gun he needs to get a T-shirt or hat. He needs to loose the airsoft until he's comfortable with a real gun. FWIW, I bet NC LEO's would see the airsoft the same as a gun. Just because it ends up not being real does not mean it will not be treated as a real gun, at least until it's found out. Good luck talking him out of it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

He is an accident looking for a place to happen IMHO.

Take your bud to the range and educate him...for his own good.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 12th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another problem is that he might think that since it's not a real gun, he can carry wherever. If he were to carry that somewhere you can't carry a firearm, he may very well get in trouble with LEO as nobody can tell its not real.

I agree with the others. Talk him into getting a real gun and training. He also shouldn't be carrying just to support the OC movement, but for self-defense.

Just a strange situation..
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Administrator
    "I'm going to try getting him to OC the real thing as I think he is asking for trouble OCing the airsoft as it is actually useless other than a showpiece."

No...please don't. He is obviously either severely judgment impaired or radically immature or both.
    When and/or if he ever grows up - he can decide on his own.

IMO your friend is hurting rather than helping the OC advocates. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a poser, but by definition he is one. He is assuming or acting like he is in a position that he should not be in and creating an impression on others, if he thinks so or not.
    Please take this guy to the range and show him what training is "carefully", and get him to put down the toys.

OC Sort-of

Thanks for the sound advice. I'll try to talk some sense into him and see what happens. I'm going to tell him not to carry the airsoft anymore and learn the laws and learn about firearms in general. Like others have said I'll tell him to put the toys away.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Instead of his acting like a wannabe, ask him to write his representatives and asking them to support the cause. It would be much more effective (and safer). I'd hate to hear that some BG decided to "relieve" him of his sidearm and got violently angry when discovering it was a toy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links