You may remember my last LEO encounter, This one was so much better

You may remember my last LEO encounter, This one was so much better

This is a discussion on You may remember my last LEO encounter, This one was so much better within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I encountered the most entertaining range day ever today. I had 300 rounds of 40 and 50 .357 magnum rounds just because i keep some ...

Thread: You may remember my last LEO encounter, This one was so much better

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Talking You may remember my last LEO encounter, This one was so much better

I encountered the most entertaining range day ever today. I had 300 rounds of 40 and 50 .357 magnum rounds just because i keep some in my truck. Today I figured was as good as any to go shoot a couple hundred rounds. I put my holster on, and out the door I went. Once I arrived at the range, i grabbed my range equipment and gave them my DL to hold while I shot. I shot 100 rounds and then realized that for some reason my rounds were going left of center. I was shooting at a blue silhouette target. All of my rounds but 8 were still on target, and most of them were in the 5 ring. (highest ring on these targets, encompasses center of mass, and center of head mass). I took another 16 rounds and fired at the head. Again, left of center. I could not figure out for the life of me what I was doing wrong, so I began dry firing to try and figure out what I was doing, and analyzing each step of the firing process that I use. As I was doing this, two K9 uniformed officers walked into the range with two gentleman in plain clothes, whom I later found out were just their civilian friends. They moved to the lane next to me and began laying out their weapons on the line and ammo on the back counter. We started talking guns, and I mentioned the problem I was having. One of the officers, whose name was John, told me to go ahead and fire another magazine and he would watch and try to help. So I went ahead and fired another magazine, and still, my rounds hit left of center. He suggested I try to mentally focus on just pressing the trigger with the pad of my finger and not put as much of my finger inside the trigger guard, I tried it and voila, rounds went right where I wanted them to go. The 5 of us then began talking guns and gear, I let them shoot my gun, they let me shoot a couple of the guns they brought with them, and we agreed to get together and shoot again in two weeks. And to top things off, the gentleman running the range gave me 50% off of my range fees. What a great day!!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sounds like a GREAT day at the range!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Good for you! Most LEO's are good people if you give them a chance, regardless of what some have to say!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Back when the indoor range was open,I shot with a lot of cops including alphabet guys,ICE,DEA,FBI,Border Patrol.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Back when the indoor range was open,I shot with a lot of cops including alphabet guys,ICE,DEA,FBI,Border Patrol.
    Same here. The range I shoot at always some sort of LEOs on the range everyday. I believe the range has contracts with ICE and Border Patrol.

Glad to here you had such a positive encounter
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    AWESOME! Best LEO encounter I've ever heard.

what type of guns did they let you shoot?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I hope that shows you that the vast majority of LEOs are not bad guys (gals). For sure, there are a few bad apples (my neighbor) that tarnish the image of all. Try to put yourself in their shoes: dealing with irritated, angry, upset people who've been stopped, or just out-and-out criminals. And somehow they still manage to address us civilly (most of the time).

Not too sure about the "holding the DL" thing, especially in this era of ID thief. I'd have to have a serious talk with the range about that. Proof of ID is fine, but my ID stays with me.

Glad the LEO helped out your trigger fionger. I tend to do the same thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Shocking that most officers are just normal men and women who are friendly, polite, and good people. I know enough cops to know that most of them are not jerks, and that if you're polite to them they will return the favor whether on duty or off. You know, just like everyone else. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Now that's probably the 'perfect' LEO encounter...conversation, guns, shooting, and NO TICKET!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    The guns they had, a little Smith and Wesson scandium revolver, not sure of the model in .357/38 special, we were shooting .38's through it, a Glock 22 .40SW,a Glock 17 9mm, and a Glock .380, (so far that one is only availble to LEO's!!) a Beretta M92 9mm, the actual military version. a Smith and Wesson model 29 revolver in .44 magnum, and a sweet little Beretta Neo's .22, and Old Vet, the ID thing is their way of ensuring that you pay, and not leave without it, its a pay after shoot place
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sponsored Links