Local LEO's and open carry

This is a discussion on Local LEO's and open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Minnesota is apermit to carry state,just went to the state web sight says there's no requirement to conceal may be worn open, yet local LEO'S ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local LEO's and open carry

Minnesota is apermit to carry state,just went to the state web sight says there's no requirement to conceal may be worn open, yet local LEO'S have told me they would arrest someone [me] for disturbing the peace if they see someone going open carry. comments and suggestions please
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

Not much I could tell you. But this may be another good resource for you. It's state specific. OCDO for Minnesota.

Minnesota - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Moderator
    Minnesota is a permit to carry state,just went to the state web sight says there's no requirement to conceal may be worn open, yet local LEO'S have told me they would arrest someone [me] for disturbing the peace if they see someone going open carry. comments and suggestions please
    Politley inform them that if they are acting contrary to the law then they would be guilty of false arrest, unless you were actually"disturbing the peace".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Well maybe it's time for a march with a bunch of like minded folks.Just make sure if your fair city or town has permits that requires permits for assembling
    you get them.Where I live our fine city tried to charge a group what amounted to extortion over $1500 for overtime for the police officers .I agree with it
    as I don't think the Capital should foot the bill for every protest.Anyways this went to State Supreme Court and city lost ended up giving money back to several groups.

thanks went there real quick to take alook,interesting
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Politley inform them that if they are acting contrary to the law then they would be guilty of false arrest, unless you were actually"disturbing the peace".
    tried to do that thought i was arguing with them got alittle cranky at me , said cty attorney might not prosicute but gun would be confiscated and have to fight toget it back

I am sorry that you were given such rude treatment. The comment about possibly no prosecution but a hard time getting your gun back is really so unprofessional. You may want to contact the city attorney's office and get an official ruling from him in writing if possible.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jweiss View Post
    tried to do that thought i was arguing with them got alittle cranky at me , said cty attorney might not prosicute but gun would be confiscated and have to fight toget it back
    What he really did was threaten to steal your gun.

Things like that are why it's very important to record all LEO encounters where lawful to do so.

There needs to be a record of such behavior, so that when things really go off the rails for you or somebody else, the offender can't claim it was "the first time", or he was "having a bad day". Such behavior almost NEVER happens as a one time thing. It's usually part of a pattern formed when nobody acts to curtail it.

Create an OFFICIAL track record for the individual(s). It ensures that the department and the city can't say, "We had no idea!"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If open carry is actually legal, then let them arrest you. You can easily find a lawyer that will sue them for violating your civil rights under the 2nd, 4th and 14th amendment.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

you can open carry in minnesota. It would be unlawful to arrest you for open carry in this state.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

and that's why you never ask LEO a legal question.

We aren't really bothered by the open-carry folks, here in Michigan. I'm not worried by the guy wearing it in plain sight, I'm worried about the young gangbanger in VERY baggy clothes that won't show you his hands when you address him...

If Leagal in your state, Tape conversation take to supervisor/News papper ect ; ) He WILL get Tude adjusted.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    If Leagal in your state, Tape conversation take to supervisor/News papper ect ; ) He WILL get Tude adjusted.
    H/D
    HOWEVER, don't bring this to the PD's attention until AFTER you have FOIA requested the officer(s) written reports, and anything else related, including 911 recordings and transcripts, and internal emals, as well as any dashcam video/audio.

That prevents evidence from being "lost" or "adjusted" to conform to the recording.
    Last edited by Deanimator; June 19th, 2010 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If open carry is actually legal, then let them arrest you. You can easily find a lawyer that will sue them for violating your civil rights under the 2nd, 4th and 14th amendment.
    Actually, finding a lawyer may be harder than you think. Here in La we had an OCer arrested a couple years ago. He searched high and low for a lawer to take his case. He finally had to file suit himself and settled for an undisclosed amount. The Open Carry group I belong to, La Open Carry Awareness League, has spent clost to a year searching for a progun lawyer to hear cases just like this. We havn't had any luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links