Forgive Me A Cruel Chuckle...

This is a discussion on Forgive Me A Cruel Chuckle... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was tooling around on the DeSantis holster website today and saw this pic. My mind rolled to thinking what would happen if I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was tooling around on the DeSantis holster website today and saw this pic.

My mind rolled to thinking what would happen if I got a pre-ban MP5K and started open carrying it with one of these.

...of course the MP5K doesn't have a collapsing stock, but you get the picture.

I asked around and that particular sub-machine gun is actually classified as a "pistol" in Michigan and thus would be green lighted to carry with a Concealed Pistol License...or open.

Makes me wonder if you'd place yourself in harms way though. My guess is that as the gun you carry become larger in size the more fear it will instill in the LEOs who are paranoid. Some might just shoot first and ask questions later.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Fortunately, Florida issues a Concealed Weapons permit, so, as long as it is not full auto, you are good. As far as the legalities of full auto, I am digging around and am having a little trouble finding what I am looking for, so, any input would be appreciated.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Keep digging for your state's definition of a pistol. I found Michigan's deffs on the main legislature's website.

Just run a google search similar to this:

PHP Code:
    site:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/  "pistol" 
    ...of course, swap out Florida's legislature url instead of Michigan's.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Again, FL isn't a pistol permit, is a weapons permit. So my question is to full auto weapons in general.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Again, FL isn't a pistol permit, is a weapons permit. So my question is to full auto weapons in general.
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(1)<snip>For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9).</snip>
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Ch0790->Section 06 : Online Sunshine

<snip>(9) "Machine gun" means any firearm, as defined herein, which shoots, or is designed to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manually reloading, by a single function of the trigger.</snip>
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

We had a guy in Tennessee open carry a Draco AK47 pistol at a park. (Disclaimer: he also painted the flash suppressor orange so that the police wouldn't automatically draw down on him or some reason similar to that. I think he was also dressed in a camouflage uniform). It's completely legal in Tennessee, but it took the police several hours to finally realize that it was indeed a pistol and not a SBR lacking a stock.

VIP Member
    1) As that version of the MP5 has a stock, it is not a pistol.
    2) The Florida statute specifies "handgun" which would presumably bar any type of rifle or shotgun, not just "machine guns" (though these are, obviously, specifically forbidden), assuming that FL's definition of handgun matches the BATFE's...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    FL has a CWFL, Concealed Weapons or Firearm License. Firearms are not defined as weapons (State statute definition). Check the FL statutes as to carrying "automatic" firearms under any condition.

"790.221 Possession of short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or machine gun; penalty.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person to own or to have in his or her care, custody, possession, or control any short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or machine gun which is, or may readily be made, operable; but this section shall not apply to antique firearms."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I guess my only comment is, why? I know because you can, but why?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaker View Post
    We had a guy in Tennessee open carry a Draco AK47 pistol at a park. (Disclaimer: he also painted the flash suppressor orange so that the police wouldn't automatically draw down on him or some reason similar to that. I think he was also dressed in a camouflage uniform). It's completely legal in Tennessee, but it took the police several hours to finally realize that it was indeed a pistol and not a SBR lacking a stock.
    I read about this guy. He had many, many problems carrying his "pistol" openly. Technically it is a pistol but you must remember that most people saw it as a mini AK47 on his hip MWAG!!!!

I would never go against your right to carry whatever is legal for you to do so but IMO it sets you up for problems and hurts our efforts to promote open carry as something that the sheep shouldn't be fearful of. Just my .02
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

I have one of those made by a company in Germany. The company was sued by Heckler and Koch for copyright infringement. When I purchased it, it was listed as a handgun. VA has a concealed handgun permit. This weapon would definitely be allowed under my permit.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

VIP Member
    Nino, if it had a stock and was designed (or even capable) of being fired from the shoulder, it wasn't a pistol. Look at the pic in the OP again...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

South Carolina has a 12" limit on handguns so I guess i am out of luck.

Nino, if it had a stock and was designed (or even capable) of being fired from the shoulder, it wasn't a pistol. Look at the pic in the OP again...
    It's a stock photo. I mentioned right below it that I knew about the collapsible stock thing. I think an actual MP5K does not have a stock.

It does have a forward vertical grip though, and I'm thinking that might disqualify it as well.

...but maybe not?

I was looking around at the Hillbilly Flea Market when I was back home in Eastern Kentucky and talking to a local knife trader. He said he was a flea market in Southeastern Ohio and a guy was carrying an RPG that had a live grenade over his shoulder and no one was even batting an eye. It was a small town that hardly had a police force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links