Tailed by an LEO

This is a discussion on Tailed by an LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WC145 If you choose to walk down the street in a speedo and clown makeup it's well within your legal rights but ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 113

Thread: Tailed by an LEO

  1. #16
    Member Array Bkrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GTA Germany
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    If you choose to walk down the street in a speedo and clown makeup it's well within your legal rights but until speedo wearing clowns are such an everyday occurence that they're ignored they'll garner all kinds of attention.
    This made me laugh. Thank you. As far as the rest of it you are correct, it still doesnt make it right and it angers me. Its just like the looks I get for having a prosthetic. Man I get crazy looks when I am wearing shorts and OCing. Its not right, and may I ask the question that has been asked a million times? How many BGs OC? Why are we focused on the guy OCing when the guy that came out behind him had 2 Eastwings and some drill bits in his pants?
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

    When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by parputt View Post
    And this is funny why?

    You are carrying a gun. This is not the old west. It will take a while for people to acclimate, yes even the cops. I was a cop for 10 years and am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment and a persons right to open carry, but I would then and would still today give you a second, third and probably even a 4th look. Just because you know you are a good guy does not mean everyone else does.

    This is another reason I choose to CC. I don't feel like being gawked at and followed around by "The Man".

    Well said sir !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    In theory, if you are obeying the law you will be largely ignored. In practice, even if your behavior is legal but outside the norm it'll get you noticed. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's the way it is. If you choose to walk down the street in a speedo and clown makeup it's well within your legal rights but until speedo wearing clowns are such an everyday occurence that they're ignored they'll garner all kinds of attention. Same thing with OC, the OP wasn't harassed, wasn't jacked up, his legal behavior just got him some extra attention that he, and anybody else that chooses to OC, should be expecting by now.

    As far as the cops not liking the law, keeping an eye on someone armed in public has nothing to do with not liking a particular law. They have an obligation to the public at large, giving some extra scrutiny by watching the OP walk to his car after noticing his weapon is well within the scope of that obligation and not a violation of any of the OP's rights.


    ETA: As I said before, anyone's choice to legally OC is fine by me. My point is that, in this day and age, for anyone to be surprised that the gun gets them noticed in a largely unarmed society is ridiculous.
    ROFLMAO ! Well said.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array Hiram25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wyoming, DE
    Posts
    11,043
    It wasn't the gun, it was the "LEAD PIPE"!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array DaveJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    +1!

    It continues to amaze that people who choose to OC are shocked when the gun on their hip brings attention to them, particularly from the law. Get used to it aready, because until the majority of the public is carrying openly and it becomes common place, that's how it's going to be.In the mean time, if you choose to exercise your right to OC where legal, great, more power to you. However, expect to be noticed, expect increased attention and scrutiny, because your going to get it. And don't complain about it, because you're inviting it.
    Funny you say that, because I was having this same conversation with myself on Sunday in Walmart...

    I went in (CC) to purchase some range ammo for a late afternoon session (a Father's Day gift)...and the thought crossed my mind about a majority of people getting on board with carrying, either CC or OC...I wondered (with my indoor voice) if that would ever happen???

    Because I don't want to go through "the eye" from anyone, that's why I CC (unless I have to OC by law)...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

  7. #21
    Member Array logan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Johnstown, CO
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You should have walked to the wrong truck, played with your keys for a while, then when they parked next to that truck...walk to your own vehicle...I'm just sayin'...

    If they want to play games, you can, too.
    lol that would have been funny.

    Good story. I think most of the cops around here would at least get out and ask questions...just weird they would follow you like that.
    Logan - NRA Member

    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

    Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

  8. #22
    Member Array ming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by POGOTHECLOWN View Post
    conduit, emt, or rigid, only comes in 10' lengths.
    That's it, they knew something wasn't quite right.

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array deafdave3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Maybe they thought you had the donuts!
    OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!! That is so funny!

  10. #24
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeTen View Post
    hahahahahahaha. *clears throat*

    I was walking out of a Home Depot today with a 12' long conduit pipe (that's not the funny part).

    There was a squad car parked on the curb near the door, which I must have walked with in 10 feet of. Well............ I guess they were bored cuz they followed me alllllll the way to my truck.

    I swear, I felt like that 10 year old kid, with the rolling backpack, being followed home by the high-schoolers. They drove just behind me for a good 200 yards and parked in the space next to my truck til I finally pulled out to leave.

    They never said anything... they never did anything. They just stalked me.

    How weird!?

    Don't you open carry?

  11. #25
    Member Array jamierah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    316
    Should have started using the conduit as a "spyglass" and talking in your "pirate" voice.

    or follow the advice the police give, if you think someone is following you, make 4 right turns and if they're still behind you call 911.

    Seriously though cops are people and they are curious and you were the one who stood out in the crowd and added a little variety to their day. The fact is they didn't make contact with you so they know the law and followed it. Although you probably got your tags ran to make sure your truck wasn't stolen.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

  12. #26
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by parputt View Post
    And this is funny why?

    You are carrying a gun. This is not the old west. It will take a while for people to acclimate, yes even the cops. I was a cop for 10 years and am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment and a persons right to open carry, but I would then and would still today give you a second, third and probably even a 4th look. Just because you know you are a good guy does not mean everyone else does.

    This is another reason I choose to CC. I don't feel like being gawked at and followed around by "The Man".
    From the rules posted at the top of the page

    This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

  13. #27
    Member Array NCW Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeTen View Post
    hahahahahahaha. *clears throat*

    I was walking out of a Home Depot today with a 12' long conduit pipe (that's not the funny part).

    There was a squad car parked on the curb near the door, which I must have walked with in 10 feet of. Well............ I guess they were bored cuz they followed me alllllll the way to my truck.

    I swear, I felt like that 10 year old kid, with the rolling backpack, being followed home by the high-schoolers. They drove just behind me for a good 200 yards and parked in the space next to my truck til I finally pulled out to leave.

    They never said anything... they never did anything. They just stalked me.

    How weird!?
    Probably more was done than you think. They more than likely got your vehicle tag number, ran it, then ran the registered owner, checked them for wants, and checked for any 911 calls or calls for service at the address on the registration. Heck, and they probably did all this while they were eating their donut and who knows, they might have even read your Facebook/My Space/Twitter accounts for sh*** & giggles!

  14. #28
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You should have walked to the wrong truck, played with your keys for a while, then when they parked next to that truck...walk to your own vehicle...I'm just sayin'...

    If they want to play games, you can, too.
    That would look pretty suspicious, like you were trying to break into someone else's vehicle...

    I don't think this would be a good time to practice suspicious behaviors.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

  15. #29
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    That would look pretty suspicious, like you were trying to break into someone else's vehicle...

    I don't think this would be a good time to practice suspicious behaviors.
    Last time I checked we didn't live in a police state and don't have to go around living in fear.

  16. #30
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Last time I checked we didn't live in a police state and don't have to go around living in fear.
    No but there are better ways to handle the situation. If the cop is slow-driving behind you as you walk down the street to be a douche bag, the last thing I would want to do is anything that gives him an excuse he can use to arrest me, because he's probably "that type" of cop.

    What I would like to do is walk up to him in his vehicle and kindly ask him to tell me why he is following me in such a suspicious manner, and suggest that he go look for some real criminals. However, I don't think this is a good thing to do either, because if he already thinks I'm suspicious then he might be "threatened" by a man approach him OC'ing a gun and yell at me to put my hands up and point a gun at me or something, and that wouldn't be very pleasant for me.

    But what you could do is simply pull out your cell phone and call the police. Tell them you are scared because there is a police car following you around very suspiciously and you are scared because you didn't do anything and you wanted to check that it was a real cop. Hahaha
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

lima, oh pd open carry lawsuit

Click on a term to search for related topics.