Tailed by an LEO

This is a discussion on Tailed by an LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the OP was OC, the LEO may have received a MWAG call from the MOD. The OP left without incident, the LEO was following ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tailed by an LEO

If the OP was OC, the LEO may have received a MWAG call from the MOD.

The OP left without incident, the LEO was following to get info (description, vehicle) and so forth to make sure he found the right MWAG rather than detaining for a Q&A fishing expedition.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kootsoup View Post
    LoL! No, you don't read me correctly. I'm really not sure why I bother... I was just under the impression that you could express yourself on this site without being insulted.. Jokes On Me!!!!
    Sorry Bud, didn't mean to insult you. Just offering another perspective and trying to have a little fun.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You should have walked to the wrong truck, played with your keys for a while, then when they parked next to that truck...walk to your own vehicle...I'm just sayin'...

If they want to play games, you can, too.
    Playing "games" with LEOs isn't a good idea. Why would individuals lawfully carrying a firearm want to bring that kind of attention to themselves? That's the kind of crap that gets you a ticket for inoperative tag lights, or worse.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Playing "games" with LEOs isn't a good idea. Why would individuals lawfully carrying a firearm want to bring that kind of attention to themselves? That's the kind of crap that gets you a ticket for inoperative tag lights, or worse.
    I'm not interested in playing games with strangers, LEO or otherwise.

If you don't like what they're doing, file a FORMAL COMPLAINT.

If lawful to do so, record all LEO interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I'm not interested in playing games with strangers, LEO or otherwise.

If you don't like what they're doing, file a FORMAL COMPLAINT.

If lawful to do so, record all LEO interactions.
    A formal complaint for them doing they're jobs? Also, IMO, there was nothing to record, there was no interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    A formal complaint for them doing they're jobs? Also, IMO, there was nothing to record, there was no interaction.
    It depends upon what he's doing. Following someone not committing a crime, in an intimidating way, if that's what happened isn't his "job".

But as I said, leave the "games" to "House" and the "banter" to "Law & Order". If the cop's doing something he shouldn't, put it on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Someone tells a story on an internet forum and we take it as the gospel.
    After a year of reading stories about this harassment or that harassment, especially some of the supposedly horrendous traffic stops for no reason other than a tag light out, I am of the opinion that a significant percentage of them are so much literary BS.

Personally, I don't believe even close to half of what I read on Internet forums.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    After a year of reading stories about this harassment or that harassment, especially some of the supposedly horrendous traffic stops for no reason other than a tag light out, I am of the opinion that a significant percentage of them are so much literary BS.

Personally, I don't believe even close to half of what I read on Internet forums.
    That's why it's so important to record all LEO interactions where lawful to do so.

We've got a guy in Lima, Ohio who was previously harassed by the Lima PD. Trying to be a nice guy (it NEVER pays in these circumstances), he allowed the city to settle out of court for "additional training". The SAME guy just got harassed AGAIN by the Lima PD. There is clearly a perception on the part of some LEOs that they are simply above the law. Apparently the only thing that's going to "train" them is a stiff judgment for punitive damages (not indemnified in Ohio) in civil court.

I wouldn't embellish. I'd just tell them that one of their officers is acting in an intimidating and unprofessional manner. Odds are, he'll take off.

Again, things like this are why I always carry a voice recorder.
    C'mon now. Get serious. I really hope that you wouldn't waste your cell minutes on such a ridiculous call to the police. It is possible that the OP read into this a little too much. Maybe they just happened to pull out as he passed. They aslo may have received a call and then looked at the OP and said, "Nah, he looks legit." Maybe that is why they never said anything to him.

There was absolutely nothing intimidating or unprofessional about anything that I have read. Lighten up, Francis.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    C'mon now. Get serious. I really hope that you wouldn't waste your cell minutes on such a ridiculous call to the police. It is possible that the OP read into this a little too much. Maybe they just happened to pull out as he passed. They aslo may have received a call and then looked at the OP and said, "Nah, he looks legit." Maybe that is why they never said anything to him.

There was absolutely nothing intimidating or unprofessional about anything that I have read. Lighten up, Francis.
    I don't know what happened, and obviously, neither do you.

I do know that there are a number of harassment incidents currently in play in Ohio, one of them involving somebody who had already settled with the Lima PD before they braced him AGAIN. I never leave home without a voice recorder.

If you acknowledged the presence of the LEO with a smile, and a friendly comment, do you think it might have eliminated the tension between you?
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I don't know what happened, and obviously, neither do you.

I do know that there are a number of harassment incidents currently in play in Ohio, one of them involving somebody who had already settled with the Lima PD before they braced him AGAIN. I never leave home without a voice recorder.
    Obviously I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. So I "speculated" as to what "may" have happened instead of assuming that there was unprofessionalism or inditimidation on the part of the police.

Have fun with you little recorder. Most PDs have cameras in their cars anyway. I know that they had saved me from a couple of BOGUS compaints by motorists. Unfortunately, my Dept at the time didn't have the b@lls to file a complaint for making a false report.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Have fun with you little recorder. Most PDs have cameras in their cars anyway. I know that they had saved me from a couple of BOGUS compaints by motorists. Unfortunately, my Dept at the time didn't have the b@lls to file a complaint for making a false report.
    A number of people have, although I wouldn't call it fun to have a crime or civil tort committed against you. In fact, the Lima, OH PD is working on their second harassment complaint by the SAME person, and AFTER he let them slide with an out of court agreement for additional training the first time they abused him. Profanity, impotent threats and the like paint quite a vivid picture for a civil jury.

Wow i just read all the post on this thread in it took all of about 5 to turn this thing ugly.

As for the OP. I find it funny that they followed you. It reminds me of a movie (cant remember the name). Eddie Murphy noticed the cops following him and stuck a bannana in the tail pipe (not telling any body to do that). I dont see the problem here.

Just poped in to my head "Beverly Hills Cop"
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

One question for Deanimator...

Do you get harrased by the cops alot?

It sure does seem like you hate them sometimes...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links