Tailed by an LEO

This is a discussion on Tailed by an LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GrandBob One question for Deanimator... Do you get harrased by the cops alot? It sure does seem like you hate them sometimes... ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tailed by an LEO

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    One question for Deanimator...

Do you get harrased by the cops alot?

It sure does seem like you hate them sometimes...
    I see a lot of other people get harassed, like the guy in Lima on his SECOND harassment complaint, AFTER letting them skate on the first. He got at least the second on audio. Looks bad for the cops.

If protecting myself with a voice recorder is considered by some "hating" cops, that's not worth a moment's notice for me.

2. Remove Ads

If protecting myself with a voice recorder is considered by some "hating" cops, that's not worth a moment's notice for me.
    Ahh...I see.

Carrying around a recorder just to record what cops say just doesnt seem like normal behavior to me...at least not in this part of the country.

Ahh...I see.

Carrying around a recorder just to record what cops say just doesnt seem like normal behavior to me...at least not in this part of the country.
    Up here, cops have been known (and documented) to harass gun owners, especially open carriers, and to engage in exercises in "creative writing". Usually the only way to prove it is via voice or video recording.

Most of the people I've seen who don't like citizens recording police encounters don't believe that police should be required to obey the law or be punished when they don't.

JD
    Administrator

So many things I want to say, none of them fit within the forum's policy...

Most of the people I've seen who don't like citizens recording police encounters don't believe that police should be required to obey the law or be punished when they don't.
    It just seems to me that when one goes around looking for trouble, they seem to find it.

Sure the cops should obey the law and they should be punished when they dont. No one disputes that.

When the only tool in your pouch is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

It just seems to me that when one goes around looking for trouble, they seem to find it.
    I've heard exactly the same argument used for why nobody should or should be allowed to carry a firearm for self-defense.

I have no control over whether trouble comes looking for me. That's why I carry a gun AND a voice recorder.

Ohio's a one party consent state for recording. End of story.

I've heard exactly the same argument used for why nobody should or should be allowed to carry a firearm for self-defense.
    Perhaps. The people I know that tote tend to shy away from trouble, not gravitate towards it.

I have no control over whether trouble comes looking for me. That's why I carry a gun AND a voice recorder

So do you expect more trouble from the Cops than you do the badguys?
    Are you not carry two different weapons? One for the thugs and one for the cops?

I'm not trying to rag you, I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from. It seems that you have an unhealthy fear of the police. Have they abused you in the past?

Perhaps. The people I know that tote tend to shy away from trouble, not gravitate towards it.
    Preparing for trouble isn't "gravitating towards it".

If my carrying a voice recorder is looking for trouble with the police, then your carrying a firearm is looking for a gunfight.

So do you expect more trouble from the Cops than you do the badguys?
    Are you not carry two different weapons? One for the thugs and one for the cops?

I'm not trying to rag you, I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from. It seems that you have an unhealthy fear of the police. Have they abused you in the past?
    Concealed and open carriers have problems with the police all of the time. As I said, there's a guy in Lima on his SECOND harassment complaint, AFTER allowing them to settle out of court with mere "training". He got it on his audio recorder. Many other people have done likewise.

My not carrying a voice recorder would do nothing but please people who couldn't care less if I lived or died, much less whether I could sustain a false arrest complaint if it happened to me. Therefore there's no more reason for me to not carry a voice recorder to cater to the whims of people who don't care one bit about me than there is to not carry a gun to similarly cater to the whims of different people who don't care one bit about me.

I've had personal experience with cops who don't know or care about the law. Trusting to luck in such situations is to me, simply foolish.

D,

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but curiosity makes me pose a question.

Should you run into officers who vastly exceed their authority, what makes you think that they will not take the recorder and/or its contents?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

So many things I want to say, none of them fit within the forum's policy...
    Second

This is getting used more and more --> because this is being used less and less
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Someone tells a story on an internet forum and we take it as the gospel. We immediately say that the police are harrasing a law abiding citizen just because he is excersing his 2 A rights. Because he is openly carrying a handgun he must be doing it legally.

SNIPPAGE

But just like I don't pretent to know what you do and how you do it for a living even though I might have a vague idea, please know that you are in the same situation when it comes to knowing how the rest of the men and women in law enforcement do our job. You have a vague idea.

I support the 2nd Amendment. I support open and concealed carry by legal law abiding citizens. I support law enforcement. I support logic and common sense.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Second

This is getting used more and more --> because this is being used less and less
    It goes way beyond that...

If the OP was actually carrying that monstrosity of a gun, I have no doubt the officers were following him...If I were them I'd follow too....

Just to see what kind of car someone with that gun would get into.

Some of these I was "Blank" while open carrying threads are just ridiculous.

It's almost to the point of being "This one time, I open carried at band camp..."

SO WHAT!

As for the "I always have a recorder..."

Are you going to record the audio of the police following you? What does that have to do with any part of the original post of this thread? The only reason we haven't put in the "back to topic" message in this thread is that there really isn't a topic. If there is...what is it? Don't be menace to home depot while open carrying a pink Kimber in the hood and always have a recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    D,

I don't want to get in the middle of this, but curiosity makes me pose a question.

Should you run into officers who vastly exceed their authority, what makes you think that they will not take the recorder and/or its contents?
    For some reason, they usually don't.

Of course they have to find ALL of the recorders.

Besides, there are cellphone apps that transmit to an answering machine or server.

And as Martha Stewart and G. Gordon Liddy can tell you from experience, the coverup often bites you harder than the original crime.

The modern corollary to "You can't outrun the radio" is "You can't hide from the audio/video".

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As for the "I always have a recorder..."

Are you going to record the audio of the police following you? What does that have to do with any part of the original post of this thread? The only reason we haven't put in the "back to topic" message in this thread is that there really isn't a topic. If there is...what is it? Don't be menace to home depot while open carrying a pink Kimber in the hood and always have a recorder?
    Actually, it's morphed into a potentially useful discussion of recording police encounters.

Thank you.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links