Tailed by an LEO - Page 6

Tailed by an LEO

This is a discussion on Tailed by an LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Deanimator Actually, it's morphed into a potentially useful discussion of recording police encounters. No it hasnt. Like always, you indicated that you ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Tailed by an LEO

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Actually, it's morphed into a potentially useful discussion of recording police encounters.
    No it hasnt. Like always, you indicated that you carry a recorder in hopes of scoring in a lawsuit. This whole conversation is off topic and the result of a blatant thread jack.

Get it back on topic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Am I the only one that thinks that the police were right outside of the door at Home Depot because they might have gotten a call from the managment or someone else with a report of a person with a gun in the store.

If the dispatcher was talking to the reporting party and the party said, no they are not threatening anyone, they are shopping ect. Maybe the LEO's just happened to be there to observe the report of the person with a gun in the store. Noticed you exit the store and made sure that you weren't about to go back in the store and rob it after making a quick pass through scoping the store out under the ospice of making a purchase.

And yes, I too get tired of the posts about LEO's supposedly harrasing folks for open carrying or taking a gun during a stop and disassembling it, or other nonsense like that. This is almost as tiring as the trend of Taurus trashing that has been prevalent lately.

I have been carrying, concealed that is, for quite some time, and never been harrassed by a LEO and never been asked to hand over my gun when in official contact with them. Attitudes go a long way sometimes. I keep a low profile, ackowledge LEO's when out in public, but don't try to draw undue attention to myself.

Really, a pink Kimber?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Christmas 08 (maybe Christmas eve) I was with my wife and an LEO tailed us for several miles (even out of his jurisdiction). It had me concerned, and we pulled into restaurant parking lot, and he followed us in. I got out of the car, I told my wife to go into the restaurant and get ready to call 911. Keeping hands in view, waved as I got near.

He rolled down the window (I was maybe 4 feet away) and he asked, "How can I help you?"

I replied, "I was wondering why you were following us?"

He asked, "Are you going to eat at the restaurant?"

I replied, "Changed my mind, the local police are acting creepy, driving people away. I'll ask again, why were you following us?"

He responded, "The driver was swerving, has she been drinking?"

I stated something like, "No, not all, to be honest you are really acting strange, you are outside your department's city, she was not swerving, so please leave us be or I'm going to go in the restaurant, call 911, and ask for a copy of your dash camera."

He looked at me. Then rolled up his window and left. My wife and I had no idea what happened, or why. The guy was wierd, and the next week, we called LE to let them know what had happened. Received a call, and someone from the department told us they had tracked down the officer, that it was a LEO (I had questioned if it was a real LEO), and was asked if I wanted to file a complaint. I stated no, just wanted to make sure it was a LEO.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Of course they have to find ALL of the recorders.
    Dude, I can understand a little paranoia, maybe you had a bad experience once, but this line takes you dangerously close to tin foil hat territory.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Dude, I can understand a little paranoia, maybe you had a bad experience once, but this line takes you dangerously close to tin foil hat territory.
    You're off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Received a call, and someone from the department told us they had tracked down the officer, that it was a LEO (I had questioned if it was a real LEO), and was asked if I wanted to file a complaint. I stated no, just wanted to make sure it was a LEO.
    I think not filing a complaint was a mistake. This guy sounds like he was working his way up to going "Drew Peterson". What would you think if he harmed somebody after you let it go? That behavior is a danger sign in anyone, cop or not.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Back to OP: Most likely LEOs being observant. Maybe they just wanted to see what civilians prefer to carry? That's my usual thought: Hum, what's that he's carrying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

You're off topic.
    If that's the worst thing I do today things are going pretty darn good!

Wow! looks like I got out of this intense thread at a good time Anyway, no hard feelings WC145... I was just feeling you were calling me, personally, a speedo wearing clown... Which, creeps me out

I DO think that OC'iers should not be followed by cops, but at the same time, I understand that a civilian carrying openly can be intimidating. But I assure you, and I think I speak for many OC'iers, We DO care about other peoples feelings and don't want any trouble.. We just do not want to Hide the fact we're carrying. Its a Right that we the People have and it should be respected as such.

Now, I'm off to the desert to do some SHOOOOOTING!!
    "There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet an enemy." GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Elbridge Gerry, Jan. 29, 1780

"I'm NOT a Conservative, a Liberal, a Republican or a Democrat.. I'm a United States Citizen..." Me

Not all LEO can be trusted, but you have to choose your battles carefully.

I think not filing a complaint was a mistake...What would you think if he harmed somebody after you let it go? That behavior is a danger sign in anyone, cop or not.
    In the days between the event and my call to LE, I could not get a good gut fell for how far I would take it.

I had problems with this department in the early 90s, lost a traffic case in 91. However it resulted in a couple I did not know who acted as my witnesses filing a complaint against the officer, because the officer's written report was very different then what they witnesses. The couple had been behind the officer, thought he had been drinking, had a female in the car I thought (and they thought) was another LEO (however in his report he was alone), and they believed the officer pulled over the wrong car (me). Long story short, judge stated testimony and report of officer was more reliable then me or other witnesses. The couple, who lived in that city were livid, and pulled me into the complaint, and I signed my statement. Maybe I was cowardly, but I was a teen, figured there was a lot of injustice in the world, took it as a lesson, and wanted no more of the situation.

Then I won a traffic case in 92 where a different officer from the same city all but perjured himself when on the stand (you could tell judge / magistrate was troubled by the officer's statements and made the officer really upset to have a teen get the better of him on the stand). I avoid driving in that city until 1999 (and it is a close city).

I have relatives there, it was the holidays, had my wife drive, was close to 20 years later. That is why I was a bit aggressive / defensive when the LEO followed my wife (especially out of his jurisdiction), and why I did not file an official complaint. I just wanted to make sure it was a LEO, and that it was not one of the LEOs I had previous issues with from that city (I still have the court transcripts, and at least once a year google search the officers' names, including the one from 08).

I'm in no way saying LEOs should not be given all due respect, but I've had a close enough run in that I will always have a good portion of doubt toward any that do anything out of the norm around me.
    Last edited by Thanis; June 23rd, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
    NRA Member

Administrator
    Just a side note Thanis, real life isn't like the Dukes of Hazard... LEO's can make stops outside of city limits. If you are suspected of a traffic offense, you are not home free once you hit a political boundary.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For some reason, they usually don't.

Of course they have to find ALL of the recorders.

Besides, there are cellphone apps that transmit to an answering machine or server.

And as Martha Stewart and G. Gordon Liddy can tell you from experience, the coverup often bites you harder than the original crime.

The modern corollary to "You can't outrun the radio" is "You can't hide from the audio/video".
    Dude, you are deep. I bet if I walked into a bar in your neighborhood I could pick you out in about 10 seconds.

BTW, if I have to hear about LIMA PD one more time, I may vomit. WE GET IT!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just a side note Thanis, real life isn't like the Dukes of Hazard... LEO's can make stops outside of city limits. If you are suspected of a traffic offense, you are not home free once you hit a political boundary.
    Depends on state.

I believe in MI, whay you stated is correct if issue was an obvious felony. If the traffic violation isn't a felony (like a felony hit and run), then, even for say a suspected DWI, I believe the department with jurisdiction must request the out of jurisdiction LEO take action on the violation. Example, city officer is on the way to court outside of his jurisdiction and notices someone running a red. City officer makes stop, radios Sheriff dept, tells them he observed violation. If they don't have a patrol nearby they can request out of jurisdiction city officer to take enforcement. Then, once the request was made, the city officer has the same authority that the sheriff's deputy.

Other states, provide even less authority, and a LEO out of jurisdiction would be making basically a citizen's arrest.

Then there are states that don't consider those jurisdiction issues within the state.
    NRA Member

Regarding the original post, maybe the police car had just pulled in (not parked at the curb) and were simply driving across the parking lot. Don't assume everyone is out to get you.
    When I am in my patrol car everyone thinks I am following them or trying to get them. Unless you have been or are doing something illegal, don't worry.
    Yes, there are bad cops in the world, just like there are bad doctors, bad accountants, bad ministers, and bad soccer moms. Don't automatically assume that every cop is a lying, scheming, piece of crap who will do anything to make sure you have to pay a $100 fine.
    Carry your weapon in a legal manner, quit worrying about the cops and pay closer attention to all the real threats to your safety.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If I can just get to the Chickasaw county line!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links