Tailed by an LEO

Tailed by an LEO

This is a discussion on Tailed by an LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hahahahahahaha. *clears throat* I was walking out of a Home Depot today with a 12' long conduit pipe (that's not the funny part). There was ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tailed by an LEO

Tailed by an LEO

hahahahahahaha. *clears throat*

I was walking out of a Home Depot today with a 12' long conduit pipe (that's not the funny part).

There was a squad car parked on the curb near the door, which I must have walked with in 10 feet of. Well............ I guess they were bored cuz they followed me alllllll the way to my truck.

I swear, I felt like that 10 year old kid, with the rolling backpack, being followed home by the high-schoolers. They drove just behind me for a good 200 yards and parked in the space next to my truck til I finally pulled out to leave.

They never said anything... they never did anything. They just stalked me.

How weird!?

okay..... maybe not 200 yards

Yeah, I've gotten the circle the parking lot treatment. Kinda like the "Fly casual" scene in Star Wars. You're pretty sure whats going on, but they are trying to be sneaky. Well, not in your case.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think that happened to me once at my local Wally World.

I had OC'd throughout my otherwise boring pick-up of stuff and things, then on my way out, a cruiser "flew casual" down the next lane of parked cars next to mine. I was parked near the end (an old habit for the sake of exercise that incidentally drives my Wife insane) and they crept around my car. I simply stopped, readied myself for the Q and A portion of my day, and took mental inventory of my weapons and their placement for disclosure (duty to disclose).

As I looked right at them, they just kept on going. I wrote it off as coincidence or that I had "passed the test" by not running away(?).

Weird thing to have happen, huh?

I wonder what would have happened if I had just started to do the "Robot" right then and there or something as equally bizarre but legal...

Probably nothing good.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

And this is funny why?

You are carrying a gun. This is not the old west. It will take a while for people to acclimate, yes even the cops. I was a cop for 10 years and am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment and a persons right to open carry, but I would then and would still today give you a second, third and probably even a 4th look. Just because you know you are a good guy does not mean everyone else does.

This is another reason I choose to CC. I don't feel like being gawked at and followed around by "The Man".

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeTen View Post
    hahahahahahaha. *clears throat*

I was walking out of a Home Depot today with a 12' long conduit pipe (that's not the funny part).

There was a squad car parked on the curb near the door, which I must have walked with in 10 feet of. Well............ I guess they were bored cuz they followed me alllllll the way to my truck.

I swear, I felt like that 10 year old kid, with the rolling backpack, being followed home by the high-schoolers. They drove just behind me for a good 200 yards and parked in the space next to my truck til I finally pulled out to leave.

They never said anything... they never did anything. They just stalked me.

How weird!?
    You should have walked to the wrong truck, played with your keys for a while, then when they parked next to that truck...walk to your own vehicle...I'm just sayin'...

If they want to play games, you can, too.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by parputt View Post
    And this is funny why?

You are carrying a gun. This is not the old west. It will take a while for people to acclimate, yes even the cops. I was a cop for 10 years and am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment and a persons right to open carry, but I would then and would still today give you a second, third and probably even a 4th look. Just because you know you are a good guy does not mean everyone else does.
    Why? The OP was carrying a 12' pipe out of Home Depot. Perhaps you could give him all those looks, but would you follow him and make him feel uncomfortable while doing nothing wrong? Thats whats funny, the Police Officer went out of his way to make the OP feel uncomfortable. I get nervous when Police come around, even though I am a law abiding citizen and the Police know that. If the OP had been hanging out on the corner at 0230 then perhaps the Officer would have been OK to creep by.
    Perhaps it was all just a coincidence though and that LEO is posting somewhere else how happy he was to see someone exercising their rights.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Maybe they thought you had the donuts!

And this is funny why?

This is another reason I choose to CC. I don't feel like being gawked at and followed around by "The Man".
    It's funny because he was doing absolutely nothing wrong walking through a parking lot after purchasing something....and he a had a gun...so what? The OP didn't say whether he OC'd or CC'd. Either way is legal...

Oh...and he came out with a pipe, not a bag full of cash, so it's not like he's suspected of committing a crime....

That's what's funny.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

And this is funny why?

+1!

It continues to amaze that people who choose to OC are shocked when the gun on their hip brings attention to them, particularly from the law. Get used to it aready, because until the majority of the public is carrying openly and it becomes common place, that's how it's going to be.
    In the mean time, if you choose to exercise your right to OC where legal, great, more power to you. However, expect to be noticed, expect increased attention and scrutiny, because your going to get it. And don't complain about it, because you're inviting it.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

conduit, emt, or rigid, only comes in 10' lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    because until the majority of the public is carrying openly and it becomes common place, that's how it's going to be.
    Does that make it right?
    I dont think the OP was complaining, just sharing a story on how he felt. OC is legal in some places and whats legal is, well, legal. The excuse that it is not common is not an excuse to me. I am expected to know the laws and I expect to be left alone while following those laws. If the Police dont like the law they have the same rights as I do to head to the polls and vote for the candidate of their choice.

Edit** Do I get to choose what laws I follow? This new no talking on the cell phone while driving law, its new, perhaps Im not "acclimated" to it yet. Does this get me out of the ticket?
    Last edited by Bkrazy; June 21st, 2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Pose a question.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    Does that make it right?
    I dont think the OP was complaining, just sharing a story on how he felt. OC is legal in some places and whats legal is, well, legal. The excuse that it is not common is not an excuse to me. I am expected to know the laws and I expect to be left alone while following those laws. If the Police dont like the law they have the same rights as I do to head to the polls and vote for the candidate of their choice.
    In theory, if you are obeying the law you will be largely ignored. In practice, even if your behavior is legal but outside the norm it'll get you noticed. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's the way it is. If you choose to walk down the street in a speedo and clown makeup it's well within your legal rights but until speedo wearing clowns are such an everyday occurence that they're ignored they'll garner all kinds of attention. Same thing with OC, the OP wasn't harassed, wasn't jacked up, his legal behavior just got him some extra attention that he, and anybody else that chooses to OC, should be expecting by now.

As far as the cops not liking the law, keeping an eye on someone armed in public has nothing to do with not liking a particular law. They have an obligation to the public at large, giving some extra scrutiny by watching the OP walk to his car after noticing his weapon is well within the scope of that obligation and not a violation of any of the OP's rights.

ETA: As I said before, anyone's choice to legally OC is fine by me. My point is that, in this day and age, for anyone to be surprised that the gun gets them noticed in a largely unarmed society is ridiculous.
    Last edited by WC145; June 21st, 2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added a line
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Next time park closer to the door; it helps the PD save on fuel costs. And always carry a donut in your pocket. Toss it the opposite direction and you'll lose the tail.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They just Made sure you Taged the pipe ; ) Now I can't OC , But I've had a few LEOs follow me in parking lot, Funny thing is I Get a Itch real bad & scratch it if ya know what I meen, Even had a one darn near LHAO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links