Myth buster

This is a discussion on Myth buster within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No...not the guys on TV. In the last couple of weeks, I read a column that essentially debunked several of the "why not to OC" ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Myth buster

Myth buster

No...not the guys on TV.

In the last couple of weeks, I read a column that essentially debunked several of the "why not to OC" myths...IE...You become the 1st target, someone will take it from you...etc.

Does anybody know where that is?

2. Remove Ads

Haven't seen it, but I don't know how you can debunk that type of "myth". Even if there is statistical evidence out there to show it is unlikely, debunking would imply it can't happen. Shooting OCers first, taking their guns, etc, could become a trend next week, and fade away next month. It's all just part of the risk assessment you do when you decide how to carry.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

In Reality gangstas thrive on street cred,If some guy said I saw a guy carrying a gun and robbed him of his gun and money,or shot him and took his gun,they would be really bad ass in their buddys eyes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    Haven't seen it, but I don't know how you can debunk that type of "myth". Even if there is statistical evidence out there to show it is unlikely, debunking would imply it can't happen. Shooting OCers first, taking their guns, etc, could become a trend next week, and fade away next month. It's all just part of the risk assessment you do when you decide how to carry.
    I don't know that is possible to "prove" something can not happen. Only that it either has or has not happened. I think what he might be referring to as "debunking" is to show that there is no scientific evidence up to this point to support assertions such as "The bad guy will pick you out and shoot you first."
    What the trend may be in the next week or month or century is simply speculation that, until it actually does happen is irrelevant.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I don't know that is possible to "prove" something can not happen. Only that it either has or has not happened. I think what he might be referring to as "debunking" is to show that there is no scientific evidence up to this point to support assertions such as "The bad guy will pick you out and shoot you first."
    What the trend may be in the next week or month or century is simply speculation that, until it actually does happen is irrelevant.
    Correct. Debunk was probably the wrong word to use. It was a statistical analysis...that an OC'er could use against an anti-OCer...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Reality gangstas thrive on street cred,If some guy said I saw a guy carrying a gun and robbed him of his gun and money,or shot him and took his gun,they would be really bad ass in their buddys eyes
    This statement is silly.. even "gangstas" are not that stupid.. and if said jacka$$ did manage to pull off such a stunt, their buddies would tell them how stupid they are. You have to remember they are people too..

As an OC'ier with a double retention holster and awareness of my surroundings, any such attempt would be a disaster for everyone involved.. most likely ending with shots fired.

Even desperate criminals have a basic sense to avoid potentially HOT situations.
    "There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet an enemy." GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Elbridge Gerry, Jan. 29, 1780

"I'm NOT a Conservative, a Liberal, a Republican or a Democrat.. I'm a United States Citizen..." Me

Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

That looks like it....I recognize the author's name...but I saw it somewhere else.

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    but I saw it somewhere else.
    It's been posted everywhere. It's very popular. Good read imo.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

VIP Member
    This disregards, of course, that it DID happen quite recently.

Yes, this is one incident and is statistically insignificant, but it "debunks" the idea that this concept can be "debunked."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post

this.

Quote Originally Posted by kootsoup View Post
    Even desperate criminals have a basic sense to avoid potentially HOT situations.
    Ah....no. They don't.

THIS is a myth that needs to be "debunked." Amazing how many decent, law-abiding citizens seem to be experts on how criminals think. As if criminals could all be lumped into one group that all think the same way.

After over 20 years working corrections and law enforcement, I can tell you that you are completely wrong. Criminals behave in all sorts of ways, depending on their level of desperation, intoxication, psychosis or just plain meanness. It is patently absurd to assign normal, rational thinking to violent felons.

Are you armed and ready - in the gunshop? | Shooting Industry | Find Articles at BNET

Thinking that you are safe because criminals think rationally is a recipe for complacency, and potential disaster. If criminals always used common sense, they wouldn't be criminals. Plenty of trained police officers have been killed by their own handguns, snatched from retention holsters by desperate criminals. So much for avoiding a "hot" situation.

The only reason we don't hear about OC'ers being victimized or being forced to become involved in a violent situation because of the presence of their exposed gun, is because of the relative rarity of OC in most areas of the country. As OC becomes more common, I think we'll start seeing more stories like the OC'er who was robbed of his gun in Wisconsin.

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

The bottom line? A criminal's unpredictable behavior cannot be "debunked." If OC is the way you roll, go for it. But don't think that an openly carried pistol is a magic talisman to ward off evil.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    But don't think that an openly carried pistol is a magic talisman to ward off evil.
    How true! But also with all of the subconcious "tells" people have, don't assume that because your weapon is concealed no one else knows you are armed! BG's tend to interact with armed people on a regular basis. And not always on friendly terms. All it takes is a little bulge, a little flash, a little adjustment or quick check and you might as well be OC. If someone thinks you are armed why would they treat you any differently than someone they know is armed?

Open or concealed, as long as you are legal and safe, that is all that matters.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

"Ah....no. They don't."

Ah... yeah.. They do. And the ones that don't, end up dead or in prison real quick for doing stupid Things like trying to take someones firearm..

That is why the only story you could find is one that has already been debated on this site and I personally feel, as well as others on this site, is fake.

The fact is that if OC'ing deters 1 criminal in 1000 then it is worth whatever risk there might be of some Jackass attempting to take my firearm and use it against me. I very confident in my abilities to retain my firearm.

Moreover, deterrence is not the only reason I OC.. The main reason is because I simply do not feel the need to hide the fact that I am carrying. Plain and Simple
    "There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet an enemy." GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Elbridge Gerry, Jan. 29, 1780

"I'm NOT a Conservative, a Liberal, a Republican or a Democrat.. I'm a United States Citizen..." Me

Quote Originally Posted by kootsoup View Post
    This statement is silly.. even "gangstas" are not that stupid.. and if said jacka$$ did manage to pull off such a stunt, their buddies would tell them how stupid they are. You have to remember they are people too..

As an OC'ier with a double retention holster and awareness of my surroundings, any such attempt would be a disaster for everyone involved.. most likely ending with shots fired.

After 15 yrs. of workin' in "the hood" with and around thousands of felons and ex-felons, you COULDN'T possibly be more wrong and with all due respect, ... more naive.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links