need some help with the wife....

This is a discussion on need some help with the wife.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your next wife will like it....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: need some help with the wife....

Your next

Your next wife will like it.
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Use love and compassion with whatever course you decide to take. That being said, she needs to get used to it.

My guns were a part of who I was LONG before my wife and I met. She still, from time to time, gives me a little grief for carrying. Other times she'll ask/request that I have it with 'us'..........

Women are just wierd.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I started open carrying about a year ago. I've only gotten to OC around my fiance twice. Once I was with a group of friends and I real quick grabbed my gun and I think she didn't want to get mad about it in front of a group. The other time I met her at Culver's after she got done with work, so I walked in separately.

Whenever I go somewhere with her I try to carry, but she'll say "I'll just wait in the car then" or "I'll drive separately." I just can't get her to like the idea of open carry. Mainly because "it's just Wal-Mart" or "We'll only be there for a few minutes." But then, if we travel out of state and I CC, she doesn't care at all. Mainly because she doesn't know it's there, nobody can see it, and it's not going to draw extra attention to us. So at least she's fine with my carrying, just not openly. Too bad I live in WI and can't conceal. I'll keep working on her and see what I can do.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Dear, you are going to have to get used to me carrying my firearm. If you can not deal with that, then maybe we should just part ways. I understand your want for a child, but you are to violent to bring a child into our relationship.

Something like that might get her attention. Im just saying

Get on YouTube and look up the videos featuring Suzanna (Gratia) Hupp. She was in a restaurant eating lunch with her parents when the unexpected happened. Watch the videos, there are several available, and let your wife watch them. Hopefully, they can change her mind. If they don't I doubt anything else will except her being mugged.

I think I agree with those that suggest to CC instead of OC...... My Wife is not crazy that I CC either, but 99% of the time she does not even realize I am CC'ing.

While my wife is not against me CC'ing, she does not understand it. She is going to the range with me and I have slowly been peaking her interest in handguns and shooting.

So, I am going about it slowly but hoping before I know it she too will be looking to get her CC permit and her own gun.
    Springfield 1911
    Windham AR SRC
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Walther P22

If I am going any place other than friend's or family's home, I'm going to carry. My wife has no objections; she knows I will carry. In fact, her words were, "its sad to say, you almost have to carry all the time these days; so many people are getting robbed and stuff."

She needs to relax. Mine is the same way. The sad truth is something frightening might have to happen before they accept it. Even then they only want you carrying at night in the bad areas of town. But most of my bad experiences happen on the "good" side of town.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My wife also gave me a hard time at first, but as time went by, she started paying more attention to all the crime reports and violence on the local news. She no longer says anything and even helps me adjust my Smart Carry when we go to church. I haven't made much progress trying to get her to the range. Baby steps. If they don't come around, they never will. Just like liberal anti's. They still think more anti gun laws will keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "she finally notices and go "you took your gun!?!?!"..and then throws her keys at me,"

To start with, that would never happen in my house. But that's for you to deal with.
    I make an issue of every reported home invasion, break-in, armed robbery/assault that comes on the local news. My wife gets the point, even though she would never carry.
    There are some people who will never understand the risks involved in daily life, be it BGs or auto accidents.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One of the benefits of Concealed Carry... what she don't know wont hurt her, YET might save her life.
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

VIP Member
    I think lots of folks here are missing a major issue.

Its not really about guns.

You two have to get along and it means compromises for both of you. If neither is willing or able to compromise, the gun issue is the least of your problems.

Your wife doesn't want you to carry. So? Find a compromise; whatever is acceptable to you both such as concealed carry, no carry to certain places, whatever.

If you guys can't figure out how to compromise, and that means both of you, and it goes for all manner of issues, then you are in for a rocky road.

Your wife's wishes are important even when you don't agree with them.

Ireland, if funds are tight, buy some short sleeve button downs or some vests. That is one comprimise or try " Honey, you know if we are out with a child and we all need to be protected, my gun is a nice choice."

My wife said to me the other day walking into our wal-mart...."you realize your gun is showing?" IN the store she said it.

*GUY WITH FIANCE* (I forget the poster) She's still your fiance you have time to reconsider lol I would say your differences will need to be worked out before you devote eternity to each other. There is no sense in arguing and fighting over something that could one day save you and your family.

My $.02

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member
    What Hopyard said.

I would get this one settled before a baby arrives. Buying a concealable gun would look like a walk in the park compared to child support.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links