My General Observations Regarding Open-Carry (in Minnesota)

This is a discussion on My General Observations Regarding Open-Carry (in Minnesota) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my Minnesota carry permit in May, 2009, and initially started carrying my G22 concealed. The purpose of concealing my handgun was to avoid ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My General Observations Regarding Open-Carry (in Minnesota)

My General Observations Regarding Open-Carry (in Minnesota)

I received my Minnesota carry permit in May, 2009, and initially started carrying my G22 concealed. The purpose of concealing my handgun was to avoid confrontation and general perceived panic by other citizens. Overall, I found this to be fairly uncomfortable with a full-sized weapon, and troublesome to dress for.

Approximately 8 months ago, I began to simply wear my weapon in a Blackhawk Serpa 2 holster, in an open, or semi-concealed manner. I didn't put any effort into concealing, but if I had a sweat shirt on, would pull it down, mostly covering my pistol. Now that summer is here, sweat shirts are not part of the general attire, and my Glock is often basking in the sunlight.

Since I began mostly open-carrying my gun, I have not once had a bad experience, or any sort of confrontation. I've not had anyone call the police to report a man with a gun, and I've not been thrown to the ground by an overzealous police officer. I have carried my gun into Target, Cabela's, the movie theatre, Best Buy, the park near my son's school, on my motorcycle going down the road, and out on my boat.

I would be lying if I said people didn't notice, many do. Some stare at my gun with wide eyes until I'm out of view, some look at it, look at me, and continue with their business. A dozen or so times, people have asked me various questions about why I am carrying a gun. I have a high and tight hair cut, with a mustache that doesn't go below the corners of my mouth, so I look sort of like a typical cop (I think) and some just assume 'something' and ask if I'm a cop. I tell them 'no' and may need to answer that I carry because I can. Most ask me what kind of gun it is, how I like it, etc. Some ask me if I'm nervous about carrying it around. Nearly every conversation I've had involves the other party to admit they've been considering getting their own weapon.

I don't know if more citizens are simply aware of carry law in Minnesota than other places, or if it has something to do with how I carry myself as a citizen, but I've never had an issue as others describe.

If I was asked, and could provide any advice based upon my experience, I'd say the following:

• Carry yourself in a respectable, confident manner.
    • Don't create any 'scenes' or other such incidents.
    • Be respectful and polite to others.
    • People judge books by their covers, and judge other people similarly. Present a nice cover. :)
    • Be approachable. People who openly carry a firearm are a sort of billboard for 2A rights. You don't need to go too into depth, but be willing to answer questions.
    • Follow rules, postings, or directions in accordance with the law. If a landowner or a business asks you to not carry, respect their rights as you want yours. You always have the right to leave.

Enjoy!
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

2. Remove Ads

OC is legal in MI, in that there are no laws expressly forbidding it. i still don't do it. i just don't have a reason to advertise to everyone that i have a gun, or possibly give someone the opportunity to grab it out of my holster.

Thanks for sharing ecrist. You are right on the mark about how you present yourself. I have been OC'ng on the weekends for about a year and have yet to have but one confrontation and that was even civil.

There are many on this forum who will challenge the validity of open carry from a tactical perspective. For those I would recommend at least reading this article and giving it some thought.

The Open Carry Argument

Carry on my friend, and continue to represent!
    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Ruger SR9 - Crossbreed STD
    Savage 10FP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unfortunately, except under specific conditions, OC is not legal in FL. I wish it were. The hype over visible carry, as you have stated, is vastly overstated. While I see where there is times when either or both methods are better, I'd at least like the option to choose. Maybe one day....
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree that there are certainly times where one method is appropriate over the other for a variety of reasons, and I am fortunate that I live in a state that affords me the option.
    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Ruger SR9 - Crossbreed STD
    Savage 10FP

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    OC is legal in MI, in that there are no laws expressly forbidding it. i still don't do it. i just don't have a reason to advertise to everyone that i have a gun, or possibly give someone the opportunity to grab it out of my holster.
    This isn't a debate about open versus concealed carry. In actuality, such a debate is against the rules of this forum.

I've done some OC in MN with no problems so far, but that doesn't mean you won't. The closer to the big cities you get the more problems you'll find.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    I've done some OC in MN with no problems so far, but that doesn't mean you won't. The closer to the big cities you get the more problems you'll find.
    I live in Brooklyn Center. Technically, 3 blocks north of the Minneapolis city boundary. My carry experience is almost entirely within the 694/494 loop, heavily in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

I have OC'ed a few times in Maine now. When I'm driving I keep my shirt tucked on the inside of my Crossbreed for easier access and while I could simply un-tuck when I exit my vehicle I don't now if I'm getting gas or if I need to go into a convenience store to purchase a drink or use the restroom.

Last week I walked into a very crowded convenience store. It has a Subway inside as well. I pumped my gas and walked in to use the restroom. Nobody said a word, freaked out or gave me a second glance.

I have to say I am on the same page as you on this one. People will either stare at the gun, stare at me, keep stealing what they seem to think are discreet glances, or approaching me and asking me about it.

I really do think it is because of how I present myself. On the rare occasion that I just wear a T-shirt, it tends to be some sort of military or firefighter T, and usually I wear a nice button up with nice khaki shorts.

Like you, I am asked all the time if I am a cop and I respond much to the same as you.

Keep on carrying, whether it be OC or CC, just stay armed. Cheers!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Almost exactly my experience here in Virginia. I don't think I've ever had anyone ask "why" I carry a gun though. Never been asked if I was a cop either, but then I'm an old, fat guy and don't look "like a cop.". I have had a few ask what kind of gun I've got, maybe how I like it, can I do that too?, that kind of thing. Never had a negative experience or even anything close to negative. Most people seem to not notice, those who do, don't seem to care.

I'm not exactly out in the boonies either. I'm right along the I-95 corridor, between Richmond and Washington D.C..
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I have had mostly good experiences when I have OCed. I have had some snarky comments thrown my way and one raging anti.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

I do the same "semi concealed" method myself. I have found that most people have their eyes on their shoes and never notice it. I never blatently open carry, but I give no mind to printing or the barrel sticking out a bit. With the SERPA holster I use, I am not very concerened with someone snatching my pistol.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
    I live in Brooklyn Center. Technically, 3 blocks north of the Minneapolis city boundary. My carry experience is almost entirely within the 694/494 loop, heavily in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
    As I've stated in previous posts some of the St.Paul PD are under the impression that Mn. is a ccw state and have stated they would arrest me for oc, tried to explain the statue to them, they said the Legislature's intent was ccw. It was not a good time talking with them.
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

Only have a rare chance these days to go to the STP side of the river. Never had any interaction with the city cops there, but the RCS is pretty cool about carry, open or concealed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links