Asked why I carry

Asked why I carry

This is a discussion on Asked why I carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was bicycling home from a friends apartment just now while OCing, and I stopped in to a Shell to grab a drink. Some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Asked why I carry

So I was bicycling home from a friends apartment just now while OCing, and I stopped in to a Shell to grab a drink. Some people were getting their newspapers ready for delivery, and the store clerk was with them.

The clerk immediately recognized me and said hello, and one of the girls getting the papers ready said "Hey can I ask you a question? Why are you carrying a gun?" I replied in my best manners that I carry for the same reason I wear a seat belt in my car and a helmet on my bike...protection. Naturally the question came; "Are you a cop?" and naturally and as always (I get asked that question at least once a day) my response was "No ma'am (/sir) I am just practicing my right as a citizen in this great country of ours to keep and bear arms."

She replied with an "Oh." and then turned to her friends and must have talked about it because I overheard one of the guys in the crew say something about a "concealed gun license". I was already out of normal earshot so I decided against going back to offer them a friendly lesson, however I like to think that maybe I lit a spark and we will have some 'converts' in the near future.

As a side note - Happy late 4th, and also; I am America's biggest fan.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

This is all good.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I open carry in the shop that I work in. We are required to carry a handgun due to the fact that we make black rifles. The other day I got into a good discussion with a couple of service guys (HVAC) about carry permits and how easy it is to acquire one. I am always glad to take the time to answer any questions people have. A lot of people just aren't exposed to firearms and are naturally curious. A little patience with answering questions can go a long way toward someone becoming an avid shooter.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Doesn't come up often with me but when it does and they are genuinely interested and not argumentative about it I use this as a point:

Me: Do you think it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher at home?
    Them: Yes
    Me: Right, your not being paranoid about fires - just prepared because you know the fire department isn't just sitting outside your house and would take a while to get there & it'd be really good if you could take action in the mean time.
    Me: So - my or your having a gun can be looked at the same way; If someone breaks into your house the police aren't sitting in your living room waiting for this to happen - they are going to take awhile to arrive "IF" your even able to call them - so - you are just being prepared / just in case something like that happens.
    Me: Also - same reasoning for carrying a gun (legally with permit) on your person - your prepared, just in case something happens and you need to take action because the police aren't following you around every minute of every day.
    That usually makes sense to anyone I talk with about this subject....
    For God, Family and Country!

Why type of holster do you carry with when riding a bicycle?
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
    Why type of holster do you carry with when riding a bicycle?
    Just a cheap Triple K leather holster. I was just using my bicycle for transportation (save on gas ) and so I was wearing shorts with a belt.

When I ride for an actual workout, I am actually unable to carry in my workout clothes, but I am looking into way to rectify that.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Good job! No muss no fuss.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Doesn't come up often with me but when it does and they are genuinely interested and not argumentative about it I use this as a point:

Me: Do you think it's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher at home?
    Them: Yes
    Me: Right, your not being paranoid about fires - just prepared because you know the fire department isn't just sitting outside your house and would take a while to get there & it'd be really good if you could take action in the mean time.
    Me: So - my or your having a gun can be looked at the same way; If someone breaks into your house the police aren't sitting in your living room waiting for this to happen - they are going to take awhile to arrive "IF" your even able to call them - so - you are just being prepared / just in case something like that happens.
    Me: Also - same reasoning for carrying a gun (legally with permit) on your person - your prepared, just in case something happens and you need to take action because the police aren't following you around every minute of every day.
    That usually makes sense to anyone I talk with about this subject....
    That is possibly the best verbalization of this argument I have ever heard, I may steal it, if you don't mind.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Asked why I carry
    Good opportunity IMO. Good answer.
    I've only been asked one time in open carry territory (Kansas) by a girl at the Wal Mart in Ft Scott, KS automotive department. I'll never forget it. She asked basically the same thing...why are you carrying a gun? My reply was...why aren't you? Do you know your rights under the US constitution?

Why I'd like to see more open carry, nationwide? Despite those who think it's tactically unsound to do so, or those who think that it's somehow asserting some form of dominance or power over others in a threatening manner...............................deep down it's an educational experience for those who are lost and have forgotten, or were never taught about our history as a country, our rights, and how we got to be where we are today. If we don't start opening more eyes, and fielding more questions about carry and our given rights (with good responses), then we'll all soon be lost along with them. Open carry is more important than you know. Be ready to be questioned......have good answers, and make a difference for us all....as a country. Shackleton just made one more step for us today and the country as a whole.

mgo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    So I was bicycling home from a friends apartment just now while OCing:
    Open carry invites a certain degree of alarm and concern among some people. Concealed is better.

If asked by a police officer when checking my concealed carry permit, or some other person who learns that I do carry from time to time, a short, non-ideological reply works best, such as, "hopefully never, but it would be for personal defense". That's all I would say.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgo View Post
    Open carry invites a certain degree of alarm and concern among some people. Concealed is better.

If asked by a police officer when checking my concealed carry permit, or some other person who learns that I do carry from time to time, a short, non-ideological reply works best, such as, "hopefully never, but it would be for personal defense". That's all I would say.
    Clearly you didn't read the forum rules sir. Perhaps you should go back and do that now.

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Well done!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've only been asked one time in open carry territory (Kansas) by a girl at the Wal Mart in Ft Scott, KS automotive department. I'll never forget it. She asked basically the same thing...why are you carrying a gun? My reply was...why aren't you? Do you know your rights under the US constitution?

Why I'd like to see more open carry, nationwide? Despite those who think it's tactically unsound to do so, or those who think that it's somehow asserting some form of dominance or power over others in a threatening manner...............................deep down it's an educational experience for those who are lost and have forgotten, or were never taught about our history as a country, our rights, and how we got to be where we are today. If we don't start opening more eyes, and fielding more questions about carry and our given rights (with good responses), then we'll all soon be lost along with them. Open carry is more important than you know. Be ready to be questioned......have good answers, and make a difference for us all....as a country. Shackleton just made one more step for us today and the country as a whole.
    Very well said.. Its refreshing to hear and helps me remember why its important to OC and the level of responsibility that comes with it.
    "There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet an enemy." GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Elbridge Gerry, Jan. 29, 1780

"I'm NOT a Conservative, a Liberal, a Republican or a Democrat.. I'm a United States Citizen..." Me

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Clearly you didn't read the forum rules sir. Perhaps you should go back and do that now.
    Thank you very much sir!
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

I do appreciate it!

I agree that it is very, very important (now more than ever!) to help show the general public that guns are something that need to be understood and re-accept into society as a whole. It pains me to see so many people ing it up, and I am more than willing to help educate those whom are interesting in learning about guns, gun laws, and carry laws. It's nothing short of a passion I feel for 2A and for both CC and OC. As I have said many times, both have their advantages and disadvantages; I don't care, as long as you are exercising your right to carry!

Quote Originally Posted by mgo View Post

I'd like to point out, sir, that there was no alarm and I have not had anyone "freak out" on me. The most that has happened was people staring. As for a non-ideological reply, I feel like my reply was short, sweet, and to the point, all while presenting an air of quiet confidence and being an educated young man.

Never the less, your concern is duly noted.
    Semper Paratus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links