OC as "display"???

OC as "display"???

This is a discussion on OC as "display"??? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "(d) Arms and Firearms. It is an offense for any person to display or discharge an arm or firearm in a state park, unless: the ...

Thread: OC as "display"???

OC as "display"???

"(d) Arms and Firearms. It is an offense for any person to display or discharge an arm or firearm in a state park, unless:

the person is participating in a public hunting activity within the state park that has been authorized by written order of the director so long as the person is in compliance with the applicable public hunting rules and regulations; or

the person has been authorized by written order of the director."

Do you think the word "display" stated above falls under OC? I have no intention of displaying it, but I do want to OC in the state park. Opinions? Suggestions?

The way it's written...it can be interpreted that OC is prohibited...the problem lies in the fact that it is believed that guns can only be carried for hunting...not personal protection. Big difference between "display" in hand vs "display" in holster.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

IANAL
    Since they used the word display instead of brandish then I would take it to mean that they are probably including OC. Best bet would be to talk to the park rangers in the area you are going, or better yet ask a lawyer that is familiar with the laws. This sounds like it could be one of those gray areas that needs to go to court to get a solid answer but you don't want to be the test case.

The problem is that there are too many of these "gray areas".

I think the NRA should start pushing for Constitutional Carry in all 50 States as soon as possible.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Write to the director and ask for written clarification.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Dont know about there, but here in PA there is no OC in state parks... CC only
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well you don't usually holster a hunting rifle or shotgun so I would think they're saying that carrying a hunting gun is NOT brandishing absent some other evidence. IANAL.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

There is a statute in NC that one of the cities uses to ban OC on public property. It would be better to ask permission than beg forgiveness on this one I think.

160A‑189. Firearms.
    A city may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place within the city except when used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law‑enforcement officers, and may regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a city's authority to take action under Article 36A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Answer to question in the OP; I think OC is display

Sounds open to interpretation so unless there is a legal precedant it is an unknown.

Sponsored Links