What to expect?

This is a discussion on What to expect? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that is a silly title because I have learned a long time ago to expect the unexpected. I am a 17, soon enough to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to expect?

What to expect?

Now that is a silly title because I have learned a long time ago to expect the unexpected. I am a 17, soon enough to be 18 year old dude from Seattle. Soon to be Senior in High School. Filmmaker, Artist, Prolegalization of pot, avid outdoor dork, well trained in the ways of being the hippie, and all around strange guy.

I am going to, on my 18th birthday exercise my wimpy 2nd Amendment muscle. I am looking at a M&P357, however I can't obtain a CPL until I turn 21. This means I believe I will be OCing for a while first.

Now I know what your probably thinking, "OH LAWDY (Because thats how we all talk in my head) This kid is going to shoot up a Minimart, High School, and/or other public place of choice." Or "He isn't responsible enough to be trusted with a gun etc, etc." Or... your thinking none of those things and are thinking like a rational human being. I am also seriously considering working as an LEO for a while (I am trying to go to med school to study Neurolocigal-Technological Intergration, aka Biomimetics, aka Bionics or Cyborgs-Alien Robots, whatever you wish to call it.)

Now, I have shot and realize the size of the M&P. I am thinking about a Blackhawk SERPA Level 3 holster. I am sure I don't need it but hell I like the idea. Considering a do a fair amount of running a jogging during my regular day (You ever seen the missed bus 100 meters? I hold the school record for that one.)

Speaking of schools, I go to a private one. It is on leased property of a church, which as far as I know does not have a no firearms policy. As far as I know the school itself does not have a no weapons policy, and if it does it needs some enforcement as the majority of the school carries some sort of defensive knife (you define "Defensive".) However the city ordinance might. Knowing I will not be allowed to walk around with it on, I have the only locker with a lock on it in the entire school. Where it will probably stay during the day, However events like Virginia Tech come to mind. The school itself is surrounded by a large homeless population, many in an unknown state of mental stability. Recently a student from a school a block away was viciously beaten on her way home. We often have homeless come inside mistaking our building as one of the church buildings. I just think about what would happen if an unstable man decided to unleash on our school. There is only one phone in the entire school, which in itself is a 6 room affair. The people there are my family, I know in my mind I would do my best to protect those inside. I already carry OC Spray, A knife and a multitool. I figured I might as well have another tool in the shed to defend the ones I love.

But I have thought of a few different problems. One being how does one keep it in the unconcealed state with an untucked shirt? Also do I have to tuck my gun out when wearing a jacket? Because a felony is the last thing I need. Another being, I am already 6'2" 180lbs, I scare people enough as it is. How many times can I expect an LEO pig pile? And if I get asked, "Why on gods earth do you need a gun?" by a very cute girl, What do I do? I heard the Fire Extinguisher logic the other day and liked that one. And when I get into my car, what's the procedure?

Most importantly,

How do I make a gun fashionable?

2. Remove Ads

It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary
    school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public
    or private schools"

Excerpt from page two of- http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Congratulations on your interest in firearms. I hope that you will study the laws for your area so that you dont find yourself in any legal issues. I am not the most knowledgeable person on this forum by any means and I am sure some of the more law smart people will chime in as well. I dont think carrying in school or even locking it up in your locker (not a good idea anyway) is an option. I think carrying a knife and OC spray may be as far as you will be able to go and I am pretty amazed the school allows that.

As far as holsters, you may want to invest in some decent leather. Do you want to be the guy running around with the tacticool holster?

Welcome to the forum, I am sure others with better insight will be along soon.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Sounds like a bad idea to me, the OC bit for a teenager. You don't have enough control over where you're going and what you're doing. At this stage in life, you have to do things and be places around a lot of other kids. At your age, I kept steel-pipe nunchaku in my gym bag and wore throwing knives strapped to my forearm (under shirtsleeves).

It's also a bit early to be carrying regardless. Go ahead and get the M&P if you want, but use these years for skill development. Practice at the range, in IPSC competition, etc. When you're 21, get your license and you'll have speed, accuracy and control to make it work for you. This is also a good time to get into martial arts - you're actually late, but if you hustle you can get the muscle grooving and kinesthetic memory needed for advanced work later.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

Washington State has a statewide preemption on firearms laws so there really are no local firearm laws. Seattle may try, but they are not valid. The cops may still harass you.

Spend some time and really get to know:

Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons
    Handgunlaw.us

Take note of this:
    RCW 9.41.280: Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities ? Penalty ? Exceptions.

RCW 9.41.280
    Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;
    As well, there is a federal law that prohibits firearms within 1000 feet of a school zone. There is a exception for persons with valid state issued permits, but that won't apply to you yet. This includes locking it up in your car even if you park out in the public street. This is every elementary and secondary school, not just yours.

Remember carrying (open or concealed) in a vehicle is illegal without permit.

So it is both against federal and state law for you to bring a firearm to your private school. Also, open carry means everyone will know you have a firearm and locking it up in a locker means everyone will know where it is. It will get stolen.

Sorry, the law really trys to prevent <21 from carrying. Apply for your CLP on your 18th birthday, get turned down and go to court!

-nutz
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

You might want to stop by almost any gun store and pick up a recent copy of Dave Workman's excellent book, Washington State gun rights and responsibilities (Open Library)
    Anthony

Current EDC: Glock 23

I am not extremely familiar with every nook and cranny of Washington gun law, but you may want to check out a couple local firearm forums.

These guys, especially, are a good source of legal info...

Northwest Firearms Community

and this one is more localized, mainly the Puget Sound area... but is also mostly used as a classified...

SeattleGuns.NET &bull; Index page
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Now that I think of it...

In Wahington state, it is legal for a person under 21 to own a handgun, and it is legal for them to posess it under certain circumstances.

I read through a thread recently about this, as I was selling a handgun to my best friend's 20 year old brother. I don't have a link for you right now, but if you check out Washington's RCWs regarding firearms, you'll see that a person under 21 can posess a handgun, but only in certain circumstances. I believe they include.... at your place of residence, possibly at your place of employment(providing that your employer allows it), to and from shooting activities, while hunting.... you get the idea.

I have no prejudice against your age.... however, as others will likely say, it may be best for you to reconsider you efforts. Even if you're technically allowed to do something, you can mind yourself in a heap of confusing, and expensive trouble if things don't go as planned.

Good luck in whatever you do, and PM me if ya like
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Quote Originally Posted by SAYATC View Post
    But I have thought of a few different problems. One being how does one keep it in the unconcealed state with an untucked shirt? Also do I have to tuck my gun out when wearing a jacket? Because a felony is the last thing I need. Another being, I am already 6'2" 180lbs, I scare people enough as it is. How many times can I expect an LEO pig pile? And if I get asked, "Why on gods earth do you need a gun?" by a very cute girl, What do I do? I heard the Fire Extinguisher logic the other day and liked that one. And when I get into my car, what's the procedure?
    Well the school thing has already been discussed, so I'll try to help you out with the above questions...

In WI, the ONLY way to legally carry is open. So in the summer, it's easy. Throw the gun in my holster, and tuck my t-shirt behind the gun. I never have my shirt tucked it, but it would make it easier. As far as when it's cold and you wear a jacket, it too needs to be behind the gun. Else in the winter, you could go with a thigh holster, but they will draw lots of attention.

As far as what to say when asked by a cute girl, you could say lots of things. Maybe you could say something like "It's to protect you when we go out on our date tonight!" (<-stupid I know) Or just let her know you value your life and you want to be able to defend yourself if needed.

Since you won't be able to carry allt he time, you may have to do what I do here in WI...I can't carry in my car (and I wouldn't dare try to OC at work), so basically I only carry if I go to a store or to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol. If I were to ever go for walks (which I don't) I could carry then (as long as I don't go through a school zone). You could also carry at your house and your friends/family's houses as long as they are alright with it.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Oh and make sure to try out quite a few guns before you make your purchase, even if it's just holding them. I don't know how big that gun is that you want, but you may want to consider one that would be easy to CC once you turn 21 (so you don't have to buy a new one).
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

After just looking up the age to OC at OpenCarry.org, I noticed it says 21 for Washington.
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Check out the Washington page on the OpenCarry.org forums. I'm sure you'll find lots of information on there from people who OC every day.
    Logan - NRA Member

The M&P compact in 357 Sig is easy to conceal carry. It can be easily converted to a full size if you so desire. You don't need to let any of your friends know you're carrying.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

...See! This is why I do these things!

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go ahead with the purchase and go for the IPSC route.

Quote Originally Posted by SAYATC View Post
    ...See! This is why I do these things!

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go ahead with the purchase and go for the IPSC route.
    Exactly...better to ask questions here than to get arrested!
    Logan - NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    ..See! This is why I do these things!!
    It is a shame you cannot carry concealed. You sound like a responsible enough fellow! Silly laws hurt the innocent!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    It is a shame you cannot carry concealed. You sound like a responsible enough fellow! Silly laws hurt the innocent!
    although he is to be commended for his writing skills in approaching the membership for advice his lack of preapartion leaves a bit to be desired as far as responsibility goes...

i am sure you will take the information to heart and do some research before you purchase and eventually carry...but be careful with your assumptions...the law doesnt allow for error or ignorance of the law...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    although he is to be commended for his writing skills in approaching the membership for advice his lack of preapartion leaves a bit to be desired as far as responsibility goes...

i am sure you will take the information to heart and do some research before you purchase and eventually carry...but be careful with your assumptions...the law doesnt allow for error or ignorance of the law...
    I must admit I did a stupid small amount of research into open carry, mostly because I haven't been able stomach the RCW website for the last few months. Normally I would be google searching this and that, shuffling through Law websites. But this week has been a hellish one.

Your all older then me, and your still here so that means something doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links