Baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

This is a discussion on Baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by INccwchris Sig, I also called that number that you provided, the agent that answered said that as long as I can prove ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Sig, I also called that number that you provided, the agent that answered said that as long as I can prove I am buying it for the long gun, it is ok, so i would either have to have it with me, or bring a sales reciept
    it is also ok for me to possess the ammo. I just cannot buy it for my handgun

its confusing laws like this that get people in trouble
    INccwchris,

I gave you the wrong phone number for Indy ATF IO. It should be 317-287-3500.

I am sorry. Things do seem so confusing. Believe me, it is not much easier for me. I have to check every out of state order for updated regulations. It has gotten so confusing that I am considering not shipping firearms to CA at all anymore.

I have other suggestions for you that are perfectly legal.
    1. Shotguns or rifles - no problem. You can buy them at any gun shop or over the Internet since you are over 18.
    2. Interchangeable ammunition - no problem. You can buy .22LR at any gun shop, Walmart, or Internet.
    3. New handguns - Have Mom purchase the firearm and loan it to you. This can be done indefinitely. There may be a waiting period for a transfer but in a year or less you can do a private transfer w/o an FFL.
    4. Handgun ammunition - Have anyone 21 or older buy it for you from where ever you choose. This can be a gun shop, Walmart or Internet.
    5. Purchase Handgun ammo by Internet and have someone 21 or older sign for it if one is required.

Remember, Indiana law says with a carry permit, you can possess a loaded handgun. Your local LEO's don't care where you get your ammo. ATF says they don't care where you get your ammo as long as it is not from an FFL who knows you are less than 21.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    yeah, thats where i got the handgun i have now, Mom bought it for me as a gift to congratulate me on getting the job i have been trying for for two years now, I just ask my family if they will grab me a box of whatever caliber ammo i need when they are at the store and i buy it from them as needed, and i actually just bought a shotgun today lol, do you think i should be able to register it in my name before 21? or would i need to wait?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

would 5.7 in a FN Five Seven be considered a rifle round or a pistol round?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    yeah, thats where i got the handgun i have now, Mom bought it for me as a gift to congratulate me on getting the job i have been trying for for two years now, I just ask my family if they will grab me a box of whatever caliber ammo i need when they are at the store and i buy it from them as needed, and i actually just bought a shotgun today lol, do you think i should be able to register it in my name before 21? or would i need to wait?
    A shotgun or rifle? Absolutely you can purchase from any dealer in Indiana and sign for it. Also, Indiana has an agreement with Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Illinois for purchase of rifles and shotguns.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    would 5.7 in a FN Five Seven be considered a rifle round or a pistol round?
    That is 5.7 x 28mm developed by FN. Besides the P90 rifle and the Five-Seven Pistol there isn't much else. I have the FN Five-Seven USG is in stock at my store for $1,030.00.
    I don't carry the FN cartridges.

The meaning of interchangeable ammunition is not an either or exception. It remains that if the intent of the ammunition is for a pistol then a person must be 21 to purchase from an FFL.
    Like I said, purchase handgun ammo from someone other than an FFL and it is not an issue in your state.
    Last edited by SIGP250; July 30th, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Change word exclusion
    - Zen Saying

Teach him how to shoot. He is old enough for that. Learning to shoot was how I learned to respect guns and how to be safe, and doing this now will help make him ready to fulfill his responsibility to be armed and protect himself when the law allows him to do so.

A good way to help a young man understand the awesome responsibility of personal protection is to avoid sneering at others and referring to them as "sheep". They may choose NOT to carry. That is their right. Treating others with their due respect ensures you are respected by others.

Sig, i should have been more specific, i meant the pistol, can we do a transfer from my mom to me and have it registered in my name?

VIP Member
    Sig, i should have been more specific, i meant the pistol, can we do a transfer from my mom to me and have it registered in my name?
    Chris,

Disclaimer first: What I am telling you is not to be construed as legal advise.

See Indiana Code Section 35-47-2-7 - Prohibited Sales or Transfers of Ownership.

I don't think you fall under any of these exceptions since you have a current permit to carry.

Indiana Code Section 35-47-2-8 - Regulation of Sale of Handguns Imposed by This Chapter; Application.

The regulation of the sale of handguns imposed by this chapter shall apply equally to an occasional sale, trade, or transfer between individual persons and to retail transactions between dealers and individual persons.

As we have discussed, Federal law, mainly 18 U.S.C. GCA and amendments establishes the 21 year old age limitation to buy a handgun or handgun ammunition from an FFL. I do not believe this is applies to a private handgun sale or trade in you state however it probably should be confirmed by your State Police or AG office.

Possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition is another matter and falls under individual state laws and local ordnances.

Indiana - It is unlawful for any person except a parent or guardian to sell or give a handgun to any person under 18.

You are over 18 so this does not apply to you.

IN State Police are the POC for background checks so it would not hurt to give them a call.

A sale or trade between two private parties in states where this type of transaction is legal without an FFL does not legally require any registration or signature. The exception being certain states that require handguns to be registered. Private parties do not fill out ATF form 4473. That is only used by FFL's.

A bill of sale or receipt is recommended and is a binding contract. The bill of sale, or receipt, should include transaction date, name of seller and signature, address, phone no., a description of the firearm including make, model, finish and serial number, name of the buyer and signature. A photo of the firearm is optional. Make two copies. Keep your copy in a safe place. It is actually not a bad idea to keep an extra copy of your bill of sale or receipt for any firearm that you carry, in you car.

I am bothered by IN Code Section 35-47-2-8, "shall apply equally." Possession of a handgun is clearly age 18 or older. Legal age for a private sale should be interpreted by your State AG's office.
    Last edited by SIGP250; July 31st, 2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: remove paragraph, add last paragraph
    - Zen Saying

The frontal lobe of the male brain, the part that enables one to recognize the consequences for their actions, does not fully develop until age 25. Scientific fact, check it out. Now I know if you told me this when I was 18, I would have replied like some will here. Granted, there are a few individuals who mature earlier, but you are the exception. My son is 20 and even though he is level headed and well trained in the use of firearms, I do not think he is mature enough to carry a firearm while out running around with his friends. Just my 2 cents.

thanks sig, much obliged

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianone View Post
    The frontal lobe of the male brain, the part that enables one to recognize the consequences for their actions, does not fully develop until age 25. Scientific fact, check it out.
    [emphasis added]
    So you would be happy to see the age for the right to vote changed to 25?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Using poor judgement with a firearm will cause a whole lot more damange to the young person than casting a misguided vote.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    So you would be happy to see the age for the right to vote changed to 25?
    Absolutely. I would also like to go back to the intent of the founding fathers and require people to own property and a have a demonstrated understanding of basic economics. I am NOT kidding.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links