My first open carry day!

This is a discussion on My first open carry day! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I am a concealed only guy. I have had my Michigan CPL for several years and have had no bad experiences. However, I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first open carry day!

My first open carry day!

Normally I am a concealed only guy. I have had my Michigan CPL for several years and have had no bad experiences. However, I have been reading more about the growing trend in open carry and I've been thinking more about it. So I thought I would give it a shot (no pun intended) today.
    After visiting http://www.michiganopencarry.org/ I printed off a copy of the LEO packet just to reassure myself, stuffed it in my pocket and off I went.
    Since my first CC was to Walmart, I figured it was the perfect place for my first OC. I had read that Walmart had a policy in place that did not further restrict any MI firearms laws.
    Well, it was a success. I got one look from a lady nearby while shopping, but she didn't say anything or freak out, or even move away....just noticed.
    I didn't have any trouble at all and nobody said anything. I don't think most people even noticed.
    After that, I stopped at MC Sports and had a good experience. I was looking at fishing equipment and noticed that this particular MC on 28th Street in Grand Rapids now had a gun counter with handguns. I don't think they had handguns until recently. While browsing the counter, a gentleman who was there purchasing a handgun noticed and said, "That's cool, I like to see that." I just smiled and said, "Thanks". The clerk obviously now noticed as did a few others in the time I was there, but nobody freaked out or even avoided me. :) All the staff I spoke to were very polite and professional as is always the case when I visit.
    The only incident that was noteworthy was when I stopped at a Marathon station and was picking up a few things inside. Another patron insisted that I go ahead of him. At first I was a little nervous about this otherwise seemingly "code yellow" young man (btw everyone I don't know is code yellow unless proven otherwise), but I think he must have thought I was LEO. I didn't want to draw attention to myself and after a short back and forth I said thank you and went ahead.

All in all, a good day and a great first experience.
    For the record this was in Grand Rapids MI, and I was carrying my XD-40 4" in a Galco high ride OWB.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you should always be in yellow, orange is the suspicion stage, yellow is the alert stage, otherwise, glad you joined the club
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Like it should be. I had an uneventful OC at Lowes today picking up stuff for some late veggies that I am planting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Man I am jealous of you guy's that get to open carry!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Man I am jealous of you guy's that get to open carry!
    You guys down there need to get Uncle Ted to start getting involved now that he calls the Lone Star State home, have him lean on president Bush, so he can light a fire under the legislature, and maybe get it done.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Sorry, but who's Uncle Ted?

I think he is referring to Ted Nugent.

Yep. MI residents especially affectionately refer to him as 'Uncle Ted'. He's done a lot for gun and hunting rights.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Good for you.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    Yep. MI residents especially affectionately refer to him as 'Uncle Ted'. He's done a lot for gun and hunting rights.
    he needs to come to Illinois and help our poor defenseless souls out haha

Not sure if Uncle Ted is pro OC though. IIRC, he has made some comments that seemed not so supportive of OC. I could be completely wrong too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Hey Skunk - good story. I've had 3 handgun FFL transactions at that MC Sports within the past few months (Bought 2, sold 1). The staff there are friendly & helpful. I'll be sure to stop in there next time I OC. Again, thanks for the story.

GM
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Definitely a "Getting Used To It" kind of process involved. Good to hear your day went well!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Did you read the paper the next morning? I'm guessing the dude who let you go first robbed them right after you left.

OK, that's pretty unlikely, but would make a decent scene for a comedy sketch...

I prefer CC, but I'm going to have to learn to OC. WI is a real ***** on firearm freedoms.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links