BIG stores policys

This is a discussion on BIG stores policys within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here you go Macks. "Thank you for your message. Dear Chris, There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BIG stores policys

Here you go Macks.

"Thank you for your message.

Dear Chris,

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Thank You
    Walmart Customer Care"

2. Remove Ads

Thank you caubry89
    Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your friends, your families, and your homes! Nehemiah 4:14

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I know of a few places that follow state law. I know for a fact from word of mouth and personal experience that Walmart (Sam's Club) follows state law, as does Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, Petsmart, Bass Pro, Gander, Cabela's and Best Buy. I can't say I'm sure about Target, but I have never had an issue at mine. I've even talked to the GM about a return at the customer service desk while OC, he saw it and didn't say a word.

While corporate says that each store may follow state law it's really going to depend on each individual store. Just yesterday I OCed in my local Wal Mart and I was asked by one security member to cover it up(I used to work at this store so I know all of the security) but a little earlier another member walked right passed me and didn't say a word about it. The guy that asked me to cover it up said all he was worried about is what customers may say.

Public Location

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Walmart. Lowes, Home Depot I know all have the same policy, they follow the laws of the state they are located in. Never had a problem in Best Buy or Target either, but not sure what their corporate policy is.
    Since when would corporate policy over ride the 2A, these store are "public" locations. Making someone leave for having a gun is discrimination. The store policies do not apply for customers by sheer fact that it is a public location. If they had a leg to stand on you would not be able to carry anywhere anytime, think about it.

Here is the Home Depot letter authorizing legal carry in their locations.

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law...s/homedepo.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blgth43 View Post
    Since when would corporate policy over ride the 2A, these store are "public" locations. Making someone leave for having a gun is discrimination. The store policies do not apply for customers by sheer fact that it is a public location. If they had a leg to stand on you would not be able to carry anywhere anytime, think about it.
    These stores are not "public property". They are not government-owned/operated. These stores are "private property" - owned by an entity (in this case, a corporate entity). While the government tells them they cannot discriminate against a "protected class" (race, religion, gender, etc), aside from that, private property rights take precedence. Think about it - they can bar you from a store for being barefoot, or for not wearing a shirt. That's not discrimination.

And usually they don't ask you to leave. They ask you to stow your gun in your car - then you are welcome back in the store. Of course, for most of us, that is tantamount to asking us to leave (I'm sure not stowing the gun in the car in a WM parking lot). They're not disciminating against you. They're discriminating against your gun. Your gun is not in a "protected class."

I, for one, have no problem with them exercising their private property rights. They better not have any problem with me exercising my right to choose where I spend my wages.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Actually, they are designated as Private Property with Public Access, at least in Indiana, if they ask you to leave you can refuse, so says my attorney and several cops that I have talked too, its a policy thing, a law enforcement officer can only arrest you for not leaving if it is private property owned by one person not available to the public, or if you have been served a trespass notice.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Like Washington State? Where we have pretty much the same laws as you?
    Washington is not a "northern" state in the eyes of a Virginian. When a Virginian refers to a northern state, they almost always mean New England.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

One of the problems with OC, legal or not. IWB carry never gets noticed and you are just as protected.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I used to OC quite abit many years ago, so things might have changed (doubtful.) Whenever I carried, it seemed hit or miss. Some people would clearly notice, but not care. Others would clearly avoid me, and act very nervous/strange. Sometimes people will come up and talk to you.

I know several folks that were harassed rather extensively for legally OCing. There was one gentleman who actually hurt his shoulder as a result of being detained by a LEO, VCDL members may remember hearing about this some odd years ago. This is why I stopped OCing, as much as I loved it.

The ONLY place I've EVER been asked to leave while OC was a Walmart store. I was with my EX girlfriend, we were both OCing. I was asked to leave by an unarmed security guard.

Right before I was old enough to get my permit, I worked parttime at Blockbuster, and I remember in training they said if you see someone with a visible weapon to call local law enforcement and have them leave the property. I can't say I remeber if I spotted anyone OC any weapons or not (?).

I still deal with customers where I work now(Service advisor@ Automotive shop.), and we have a good amount of folks that OC, my coworkers compliment the wearers, and discuss their favorite firearms,lol.

Sometimes I am surprised how many people I see OCing around here, and how many VCDL/pro2a stickers I see :-)

(I'm one of those "graymen")

Wal-Mart 1-800-925-6278 (press the options 2-1-1 to reach a live representative.

Wal-Mart, as of October 13, 2010 has NO corporate policy against customers carrying their handgun as long as it is legally permitted in the state for them to do so. BUT because Walmart is private property, they also have the authority to ask customers to remove the handgun or leave the store. As a frequent shopper of two local Wal-Marts, I decided to ask, and that was the official response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I used to OC quite abit many years ago, so things might have changed (doubtful.) Whenever I carried, it seemed hit or miss. Some people would clearly notice, but not care. Others would clearly avoid me, and act very nervous/strange. Sometimes people will come up and talk to you.

I know several folks that were harassed rather extensively for legally OCing. There was one gentleman who actually hurt his shoulder as a result of being detained by a LEO, VCDL members may remember hearing about this some odd years ago. This is why I stopped OCing, as much as I loved it.

The ONLY place I've EVER been asked to leave while OC was a Walmart store. I was with my EX girlfriend, we were both OCing. I was asked to leave by an unarmed security guard.

Right before I was old enough to get my permit, I worked parttime at Blockbuster, and I remember in training they said if you see someone with a visible weapon to call local law enforcement and have them leave the property. I can't say I remeber if I spotted anyone OC any weapons or not (?).

I still deal with customers where I work now(Service advisor@ Automotive shop.), and we have a good amount of folks that OC, my coworkers compliment the wearers, and discuss their favorite firearms,lol.

Sometimes I am surprised how many people I see OCing around here, and how many VCDL/pro2a stickers I see :-)

(I'm one of those "graymen")

This happened in Norfolk....and they already have "special" problems with their PD and City Attys who think VA law doesn't apply to them.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blgth43 View Post
    The Second Amendment, like each of the other Amendments, does not apply to private parties. The Second Amendment only applies to the various strata of government.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Here's a link to some responses from companies. Toys R Us has since changed their mind though. Bear in mind it's better to leave if asked and take it up with customer service. FWIW, I have OC'd in all the places you ask about with no issue. And many more.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...t=barnes+noble
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links