Do You Run Your Recorder All the Time?

This is a discussion on Do You Run Your Recorder All the Time? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that it's advisable to keep a digital voice recorder on you all the time in order to document any encounters with uninformed Law ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Run Your Recorder All the Time?

I know that it's advisable to keep a digital voice recorder on you all the time in order to document any encounters with uninformed Law Enforcement Officers.

So does anyone just turn the thing on at the beginning of the day and let it run? Some of them have a LOT of recording time. It seems to make sense to just delete the large file each day and start over unless you had an issue, in which case you'd download it.

I'm just thinking that getting the thing started up might be something easily forgotten. I also don't like the idea of sticking my hand in my pocket if you have a nervous police officer on the loose.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

Pending on state, my state allows it. Yes I would run my recorder 24/7 when OC. I heard never to TURN IT on just before a problem is going happen Keep it on because if someone sees you reaching in your pocket like LEO they could think you have another weapon. I bought a recorder for $40 it works great holds 24hours on high mode or 524hours on low record mode. Never run low mode, only high so it can pick up better sounds.

I have been told by a few LEOs my vehicle video recording systems are better than theirs & I always have a audio recorder on my person just in case since in most courts the LEO is the one trusted first over a civilian. Also as long as LEOs are going to record me without my consent with car video & recorders I will record them period. As for being admissible who cares when it is all over the web what happened if something goes wrong.

One more thing as of this date I can count on one hand how many bad encounters I have had with LEOs still better me protect my self against the bad ones. Also this isn't being paranoid this is commonsense since they use technology to protect their side.

JD
    Administrator
    Well over 30 posts have been removed, the topic of the thread is simple:

All other postings will be removed.

When I go for walks, I start mine then erase the recording when I return. I just added a memory module to make sure I had enough recording time for a five mile walk.

Does anyone else use your iPhone (I have found it records very good quality) more since most of us always have our phones with us? I even use it now when interacting with delivery people etc.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Where is a good place to buy a recorder of this type? I can see the use for it.

I found my portable 1gb on eBay along with a coup;e of different types of microphones. The one I have has 5 folders & records on high for a very long time especially using VOX mode. But I use my IPhone more now for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Where is a good place to buy a recorder of this type? I can see the use for it.
    I got mine from a friend who got it on Ebay. It's an mp3 player which also records audio. It's a Sansa C250. They're very inexpensive, but the sound quality is excellent, even in the change pocket of my jeans.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Thanks for the info.

I have considered getting one but the price gap between a 2hr and an 8hr recorder is pretty steep. With people being prosecuted for recording police officers I would really have to think twice before I did so now.

I have this Digital Recorder that I bought at RadioShack: Olympus® VN-5200PC Digital Voice Recorder - RadioShack.com

I turn it on when I leave the house in the morning and it is turned off when I get home.

I use it not only for LEO encounters, but for customer interactions.

I've had a customers at work lie about what I had said and tried to get me fired, because they didn't get there way (they were in the wrong). The last time I went into the office to talk to the District Manager and the Regional Manager together and they told me the I was going to be fired for cussing out the customer. I asked if I could play something for them. I played the recording of the customer cussing me up and down and me replying back "Yes, Sir. I understand your anger. I will try to get something worked out for you, but you have to give me a chance." They had given the customer a $500.00 gift card because they believed him over me. After I played the recording the RM called the home office to get the gift card canceled.

That is another good reason to have the recorder. CYA. Cover Your A__. Not just for LEO defensive, but for anyone else where is it a "you vs me" with no other witnesses.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

I have an Olympus W-10 digital voice recorder with a built in .3 megapixel camera. Voice activated (picks up normal conversations very well) and has 3 hours of actual recording time. Erases in a flash and also takes up to 250 decent (snapshot quality) color pictures.

Under the strap of my car's sun visor or in my shirt pocket it can record any conversations that take place. The little carry sleeve that came with it is a perfect fit for an extra 10 round magazine of .40S&W ammo that I carry in my pocket. Keeps the mag dust free and easily accessible.

Works for me.

OMO

bosco

Great discussion. I got a Blackberry in recent months, moved the record Icon into a better, more quickly accessible location on the home screen, but filled the memory chip with music files, so could only hope to start recording when an event might ocurr. I just replaced the memory card with one of 8x the capacity. This discussion convinces me to start a new recording every day.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    If I had a recorder, I would turn it on when I see that I would have to talk to an LEO. Leaving it on during your whole day may not be the best thing since you may not want a record of everything that you say.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links