Are there places you don't OC?

This is a discussion on Are there places you don't OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short I was OCing yesterday as I did a few errands. I had to run into the mall and decided to pull my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there places you don't OC?

Long story short I was OCing yesterday as I did a few errands. I had to run into the mall and decided to pull my shirt over my gun just to avoid any potential problems. For some reason I just felt uncomfortable OCing in the mall.

Has this happend to any of you seasoned OCers?

I usually don't OC when my wife and I go out to stores. She thinks I should always CC as it causes less problems.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

VIP Member
    Post Office, Court House, K-12 Schools, ... well you get the idea.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Post Office

I dont go there anymore. Defenceless victim= you dont get my money!
    Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your friends, your families, and your homes! Nehemiah 4:14

Every place that I need to go, except when at school.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I can legally OC anyplace I can CC in Virginia. On a few occasions I will switch from OC to CC, but there is no set place that I do. Just depends on my mood.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Not quite anywhere, here in Virginia.

CC only in State Parks [except where hunting is allowed], NFS lands [except where hunting is allowed] and K-12 school grounds [CHP holders exempted for CC but not OC while in a vehicle] -- < see http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html >
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Aside from the places where it is against the law to carry a firearm, I don't open carry in banks. I am a little apprehensive about OCing in a shopping mall but I've done it before. Anyplace else I'm comfortable with.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Denver

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    I usually don't OC when my wife and I go out to stores. She thinks I should always CC as it causes less problems.
    My fiance is the same way. Unfortunately I can only CC when we go on vacation. Here in WI, OC is the only way. When I finally can CC in WI, I would CC to friends and family members places, especially is I know they don't like guns.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    My fiance is the same way. Unfortunately I can only CC when we go on vacation. Here in WI, OC is the only way. When I finally can CC in WI, I would CC to friends and family members places, especially is I know they don't like guns.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

any time I'm not working, I'm CC, because all OC AFAIK in my state is LEO only. As I am a LEO, I could OC off duty but badge would need to be visible but I would rather CC. OMO. YMMV.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

There are a few places I will not carry my weapon. Most notable, fairs and other places where there will be people EVERYWHERE. Specifically, the Minnesota State Fair. There is no such things as a good shot there, even if the bad guy is standing right next to me. I don't have a desire to shoot innocent people nearby, so the gun stays at home.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Church. Other than that I have OC'd in most places that I can. Except for a bank. I got followed out of a bank once while wearing an empty holster. Manager said I "lost" a dollar. Nope.

Lately I have been CC'ing more. My wife is more comfortable with it. For me, if I get out of the habit of OC'ing I'll sometimes CC instead.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Post Office, Court House, K-12 Schools, ... well you get the idea.
    Yeah.. I've been OC'ing since before I got my LTCF, and have continued to do so for the past several years. The only places I won't open carry are bars after "dinner hours", and when traveling into certain sections of big cities. I feel the advantages of OC are diminshed when every single person around you is a scumbag/criminal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links