Door to door security guy

This is a discussion on Door to door security guy within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife mentioned that some guys had come to the door a few days ago and she just did not feel like answering the door. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door to door security guy

Door to door security guy

My wife mentioned that some guys had come to the door a few days ago and she just did not feel like answering the door. Well, today they came back by. They looked to be college age. Selling security systems. Well, offering a "free" security system if we would put one of their signs in the yard. Felt like the magazine "scam" where they drop them off in a neighborhood.

I had answered the door with my usually rig, G19 in a Serpa holster. So the kid asks, "Are you a cop." Me, "Nope." Him, "Just carry for protection?" Me, "Yep." Once I had told them I was not interested we spent a few minutes talking guns and carry. Guy number 2 was from AZ and OC's a G27 IIRC. Then he mentioned he wanted to get his permit when he gets back to AZ. That's when I told him about the Constitutional Carry just going into effect. His eyes lit up, he did not know. Then his buddy goes, " I told you!" I gave him a quick run down of OC in NC and some talk about CC and carrying on your own property. At one point one of the guys says something to the effect of, "Looks like you're already protected."

Just a funny little story I thought I would share.
    Last edited by chiefjason; August 4th, 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i used to do that here in indiana, always carried when i did that
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

More proof that people supposedly interested in personal security just can't help themselves when it comes to opening their door to strangers - armed or not. It is also another example of the fact that if you don't know who's at the door and you didn't schedule the meeting, they are almost always some type of scammer. If I want a security system, it's NOT going to be from some random boobs who wander up to my door and ring the bell. The could have just as easily been casing the neighborhood. How does any company make money installing a "free" security system? Answer: they don't. There's a catch, or it's a pure scam. I don't work for free. Why would I expect to find a security system installer (or anyone else) to work for free?

Of course, you feel obliged to go to the door obviously armed, and proceed to blab to complete strangers about your guns and the Second Amendment like you're winnning over converts, while they could easily be carrying concealed and looking around you inside your house to see what else you have besides guns. Have you ever heard the term "con man"? The term "con" is short for the word confidence. Con men (and good salesmen) win your confidence by engaging you in talk about things you enjoy, encouraging you to flap your gums until you give up some nugget of information they want/need to extract what they want from you.

I work in sales, and I do this all the time. When I meet with someone I am trying to influence, I'll note a picture on their desk, their college ring, or just their name tag, and get them to start talking about themself and their hobbies or history. People simply love to talk about themselves, and even the most recalcitrant mark will open up like a flower if you just find the right subject.

Notice I am NOT saying these guys were necessarily thieves or hustlers, but your actions indicate you're the type of person to easily fall for that type of schtick, and you obviously felt no compunction opening up your door and yakking away to complete strangers who show up unannounced. Armed or not, that was a risky thing to do - even for your wallet. Why you or your wife would bother to answer the door is beyond me. It must be real boring out where you live.
    Last edited by MadMac; August 4th, 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Well, I refuse to live my life locked inside a fortress. If someone knocks on my door, I'll open it if for no other reason than to tell them to get lost. You can listen to the knocking and the dog barking if you want to.

How does a company make money giving away something for "free?" They don't. They offer you a bare minimum then start selling upgrades and add ons. If you don't want it, tell them to hit the road. It works for me.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    If someone knocks on my door, I'll open it if for no other reason than to tell them to get lost.
    This couple felt the same way as you: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3666549/

My home is far from a fortress, and I spend a lot of time outdoors when I am there. However, I cannot recall even one good outcome of an anannounced stranger coming to my home. Even back in the 50's, my mom warned me about talking to strangers. Yet, here you guys are throwing open your door to just anyone who walks up. Ignoring strangers at your door is not the same as living life like a hermit in a fortress.

As this administration and Congress continue to screw up the economy and destroy jobs and industries, you'll be seeing much more of this in the coming months and years. I say, "be prepared".

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    More proof that people supposedly interested in personal security just can't help themselves when it comes to opening their door to strangers - armed or not. It is also another example of the fact that if you don't know who's at the door and you didn't schedule the meeting, they are almost always some type of scammer. If I want a security system, it's NOT going to be from some random boobs who wander up to my door and ring the bell. The could have just as easily been casing the neighborhood. How does any company make money installing a "free" security system? Answer: they don't. There's a catch, or it's a pure scam. I don't work for free. Why would I expect to find a security system installer (or anyone else) to work for free?

Of course, you feel obliged to go to the door obviously armed, and proceed to blab to complete strangers about your guns and the Second Amendment like you're winnning over converts, while they could easily be carrying concealed and looking around you inside your house to see what else you have besides guns. Have you ever heard the term "con man"? The term "con" is short for the word confidence. Con men (and good salesmen) win your confidence by engaging you in talk about things you enjoy, encouraging you to flap your gums until you give up some nugget of information they want/need to extract what they want from you.

I work in sales, and I do this all the time. When I meet with someone I am trying to influence, I'll note a picture on their desk, their college ring, or just their name tag, and get them to start talking about themself and their hobbies or history. People simply love to talk about themselves, and even the most recalcitrant mark will open up like a flower if you just find the right subject.

Notice I am NOT saying these guys were necessarily thieves or hustlers, but your actions indicate you're the type of person to easily fall for that type of schtick, and you obviously felt no compunction opening up your door and yakking away to complete strangers who show up unannounced. Armed or not, that was a risky thing to do - even for your wallet. Why you or your wife would bother to answer the door is beyond me. It must be real boring out where you live.
    I had these people come to my house a couple years ago (before I carried and before I realized how bad of an idea it is to just let people in). Sure the security system is "free" but they want to charge you an outrageous monthly subscription actually use it. Thats where they make their money (that and advertising with the sign, because as they claim, only one house per neighborhood would get this "free" deal). I told em no thanks...it was a two man sales team I don't like two man sales team, they are very aggressive.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    ...it was a two man sales team I don't like two man sales team, they are very aggressive.
    Precisely. ...and they were able to work the OP just like good saslesmen. They immediately noticed something that got him talking so they could try to sell him on their product. In this case, it was his gun. He may not have said yes, but they got their proverbial foot-in-the-door by noticing his sidearm, and getting him to start talking about guns. They found something he enjoyed and he opened up like a flower.

As an aside, why would anyone entrust their home security to a fly-by-night outfit who sends untrained and inexperienced out-of-work kids into the streets working on pure commission? Our home system was installed and is monitored by local professionals whom I had to contact. I also got references.

Precisely. ...and they were able to work the OP just like good saslesmen. They immediately noticed something that got him talking so they could try to sell him on their product. In this case, it was his gun. He may not have said yes, but they got their proverbial foot-in-the-door by noticing his sidearm, and getting him to start talking about guns. They found something he enjoyed and he opened up like a flower.

As an aside, why would anyone entrust their home security to a fly-by-night outfit who sends untrained and inexperienced out-of-work kids into the streets working on pure commission? Our home system was installed and is monitored by local professionals whom I had to contact. I also got references.
    Have you ever heard that saying about a sucker being born every minute? It's really more like 1000 suckers born every minute. I never fail to find the utter stupidity in my fellow man...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I agree that if you answer the door you should be armed. I personally either carry concealed as normal or tuck it in the small of my back so the person at the door can't see that I am armed.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I had answered the door with my usually rig, G19 in a Serpa holster. So the kid asks, "Are you a cop." Me, "Nope." Him, "Just carry for protection?" Me, "Yep." Once I had told them I was not interested we spent a few minutes talking guns and carry. Guy number 2 was from AZ and OC's a G27 IIRC. Then he mentioned he wanted to get his permit when he gets back to AZ.
    What an amazing coincidence. You're talking to sales guys when you unnecessarily expose the fact you OC a Glock - miracle of miracles - the sales guy OCs a Glock, just like you! And the other guy wants to be just like you! Wow! What great guys! s/off

Dude, you were being played.

I do the same thing every working day of my life. If my potential customer wears suits every day, I wear a suit when I make a sales call. If he/she dresses casually, I dress casually. If my client likes cats, I love cats. (I actually detest cats.) If my client smokes, I'll join him on the parking deck for a cigarette, and nod my head in agreement as he complains about the anti-smoking rules in the office. I'll complain about the same rules at my office. I don't smoke, but I will with you. If he tells me he doesn't want to buy anything, that's fine with me. I just want to finish my cigarette and chat a bit. As long as I keep him talking, there's always a chance he'll still end up getting out his checkbook. If not, maybe next time, so I make sure I set up the next meeting, and we can talk about cats or smoking. Next time he may buy. I always keep the door open.

I feel I am so obvious, the guy is is going to bust me on it at any moment. However, as long as I've played this game, no matter how blatantly I pander or wheedle, no one has ever called me on it. People are so into their own issues, and so eager to find a kindred spirit, they won't even see the glaringly obvious. Even other sales guys get taken in. It's really easy to get sucked in, even if you know what you're looking for.

I know. I get played, too. Just not as much as I used to.

What an amazing coincidence. You're talking to sales guys when you unnecessarily expose the fact you OC a Glock - miracle of miracles - the sales guy OCs a Glock, just like you! And the other guy wants to be just like you! Wow! What great guys! s/off

Dude, you were being played.

I do the same thing every working day of my life. If my potential customer wears suits every day, I wear a suit when I make a sales call. If he/she dresses casually, I dress casually. If my client likes cats, I love cats. (I actually detest cats.) If my client smokes, I'll join him on the parking deck for a cigarette, and nod my head in agreement as he complains about the anti-smoking rules in the office. I'll complain about the same rules at my office. I don't smoke, but I will with you. If he tells me he doesn't want to buy anything, that's fine with me. I just want to finish my cigarette and chat a bit. As long as I keep him talking, there's always a chance he'll still end up getting out his checkbook. If not, maybe next time, so I make sure I set up the next meeting, and we can talk about cats or smoking. Next time he may buy. I always keep the door open.

I feel I am so obvious, the guy is is going to bust me on it at any moment. However, as long as I've played this game, no matter how blatantly I pander or wheedle, no one has ever called me on it. People are so into their own issues, and so eager to find a kindred spirit, they won't even see the glaringly obvious. Even other sales guys get taken in. It's really easy to get sucked in, even if you know what you're looking for.

I know. I get played, too. Just not as much as I used to.
    Yeah, your right. We are VERY different. I am who I am. There's not much difference in home, work, or friends. Did I get played? Who knows. When the guys came up I noticed several things through my window as they walked up. Young, clean cut, clip boards, company shirt and hat, name tags. When I stepped outside I noticed more, all the paperwork matched their story. Company names, product, etc. I covered the front door till I got an idea of what they wanted. Then I stepped outside and talked to them on the porch. Now, could they fake all that? Sure they could. Would they fake all that, unlikely to the degree that everything matched up. And it was the second time they came to the house. Should I wait for a third, fourth, fifth before finding out what they want and telling them no. Or maybe I should call the cops. Yeah, that's a waste of their time. What I wanted to do was find out what they were doing while I was home so they did not come back when I was not home. I take a lot of precautions around the house, more than I used to. But unless something is tipping me off when they approach I will likely open the door to see what they want. Unless it's night, then it's a different story. You don't, that's fine for you. Each his own I guess.

And if I was worried about unnecessarily exposing that I OC'd, well I would not OC. I get the sarcastic point, but good grief. I'll stick with generally taking folks at their word till I need to change that. Nobody said anyone wanted to be like me either. Now was the thing in common a sales ploy? If it was they did a terrible job of selling the product afterwords. Seeing as noone mentioned the product again. Again, maybe or maybe not.

And even free puppies are not free. He actually lost me completely at the word free. Not that I make it a habit of buying door to door. I'll spend my money on my terms.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    My wife mentioned that some guys had come to the door a few days ago and she just did not feel like answering the door. Well, today they came back by. They looked to be college age. Selling security systems. Well, offering a "free" security system if we would put one of their signs in the yard. Felt like the magazine "scam" where they drop them off in a neighborhood.

I had answered the door with my usually rig, G19 in a Serpa holster. So the kid asks, "Are you a cop." Me, "Nope." Him, "Just carry for protection?" Me, "Yep." Once I had told them I was not interested we spent a few minutes talking guns and carry. Guy number 2 was from AZ and OC's a G27 IIRC. Then he mentioned he wanted to get his permit when he gets back to AZ. That's when I told him about the Constitutional Carry just going into effect. His eyes lit up, he did not know. Then his buddy goes, " I told you!" I gave him a quick run down of OC in NC and some talk about CC and carrying on your own property. At one point one of the guys says something to the effect of, "Looks like you're already protected."

Just a funny little story I thought I would share.
    Anyone coming to my door uninvited sends me to condition 1 until I can verify who they are.

If they act suspicious then I get all paranoid and go to full combat alert.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    OP, was the company they worked for called CTS Protection Services? If so they are not a fly by night operation and actually are distributors and dealers for ADT. I do take offense at some of the remarks of well if their going door to door it must be a scam. Its not. They actually do train these "kids" and give them a good knowledge of the product, don't be so quick to judge the book by its cover
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    OP, was the company they worked for called CTS Protection Services? If so they are not a fly by night operation and actually are distributors and dealers for ADT. I do take offense at some of the remarks of well if their going door to door it must be a scam. Its not. They actually do train these "kids" and give them a good knowledge of the product, don't be so quick to judge the book by its cover
    I don't care if they "train" them. I buy NOTHING from door-to-door sales wonks. Especially "security" services. As I have stated, I don't even answer the door. Why do they need to fly in salesmen from AZ to NC? Are there no people in NC willing to sell security services to make money? Why would they want to pay travel and per diem to young guys going door-to-door in local neighborhoods?

Door-to-door = scam. Period.

I had a security salesman come to my door as well Monday evening....told him thanks, but no thanks & had to basically shut the door in his face.
    I always answer the door with at least my G27 in my hand (hidden from sight) & foot positioned so the door can not be pushed open.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links