To talk or not to talk - Page 2

To talk or not to talk

This is a discussion on To talk or not to talk within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n You've already decided what they think doesn't matter or you would have had your gun concealed. Drive On and forget about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To talk or not to talk

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You've already decided what they think doesn't matter or you would have had your gun concealed.

Drive On and forget about it. Really.
    Simple, yet profound.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Five minutes after ya'll parted ways, she probably thought, "he must be a cop now or something." Don't worry about it. However, the best time to explain why you carry would have been right when she felt it.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You were carrying openly!!! Why do you feel the need to call this inconsequential person? Open carry is open carry and pretty much says it all. You're letting it all hang out there so people are gonna think what they want to think. You've already decided what they think doesn't matter or you would have had your gun concealed.

Drive On and forget about it. Really.
    I live in a state where we must carry concealed so I suppose I don't understand the reasoning for your concern. You are in an open carry state and you decide to open carry. End of story unless you feel you need to rationalize why you do what you do to people who know you but to those who do not know you from Adam you really could care less what they think about you and your firearm.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I think just letting it go might be the prudent thing to do, I just continued on with the conversation and didn't stop being friendly when i saw her eyes wandering
    Sounds like it's easy on your conscience. You are reconciled with your principles and higher power. You're certainly within the law. We are gaining acceptance in the community, though there will always be anti's who don't welcome your gun. It's not like the DC community will gain by your calling her.
    Her reaction may have been a stirring of an old memory. Maybe she has personal experience with guns from enthusiasts in the family when she was young?
    Her experience with your carrying is just one that may slowly and gradually awaken her to a realization that you can't explain to her but that she has to acclimate (or re-acclimate) to on her own.
    Maybe the question to you is whether your greater concern is for what she thinks of you personally or what she thinks of anyone who carrys a weapon even for defense as a private citizen.
    You would call her only to convince her that your're a regular, sane, citizen? Or that guns are good in case she thought otherwise?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Pistology hit the nail on the head, I am still a little self-conscience about what people I know think about the fact that I carry. I don't care what the general public thinks, but I do worry about how some of my friends and family react. I guess its because I'm still at that age where I worry about what people think of me enough that it bothers me, and I will probably grow out of it, or just become more at ease about it. It's funny how it is only for certain people though, when my friend Katelyn's mom saw me OC'ing in the same Wally World and said, "Uh, Chris, you're gun is showing." I simply replied, "I know." and we kept talking. I think maybe she did have a memory recall or maybe just a simple oh thats cool look on her face, and I honestly do not think its that big of a deal anymore. Thanks everyone for your input, and I have decided if she calls a whole bunch of people and tells them, well I OC sometimes anyway, so what does it matter?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'd let it go. Who knows, it might be a topic for discussion the next time you run into her (or she seeks you out).... Maybe it will spark her to ask about shooting...
    +1 on this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    so i got one answer on each side of the fence, lol, thats what im thinking cammo girl, but at the same time what if she is freaked and needs reasurrance that im not a freak
    Leave it be

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I saw a friend of mine today that I went to high school with at Wally World. "
    You went to highschool at Wally World?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    If it's not a big deal, don't make it one. Act normal and people think you're normal. Act like you own the place. I think you get what I'm saying right? Let it go. If you do call her, don't mention it unless she asks a question. Then act normal. "Oh, yeah. I've been carrying for a while now. You see all the crime on the news these days? Crazy people out there you know."
    What he said. It's not a big deal...don't make it into one.

Brian

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Scenario #1...
    You don't call her.
    After your meeting, this person calls everyone she knows to tell them about your gun...

Scenario #2...
    You call her after the meeting.
    After your call, this person calls everyone she knows to tell them about your gun...
    YES. You are a smart person, you must have spent alot of time around women. WOMEN TALK. About everything, pretty much.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Scenario #1...
    You don't call her.
    After your meeting, this person calls everyone she knows to tell them about your gun...

Scenario #2...
    You call her after the meeting.
    After your call, this person calls everyone she knows to tell them about your gun...
    YES. I love this post. WOMEN TALK. About everything, pretty much.

Ha, we TYPE to talk if no one is around to talk TO. And type and type and type.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    let it go...if there was a moment to bring it up it was when you saw her eyes go wide...an "i'm sorry does that make you nervous?" might have touched off a nice little conversation and shown a sensitive side of you...otherwise whats done is done and retsup said it best...

Yep,
    My dad used to say, "It's better to let people think you're a moron than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". In this case, it is better to just let it go. A "psycho" telling everyone they aren't crazy doesn't convince anyone. People will think what they want to think, and if she's going to freak out, calling and explaining will only intensify it. Be confident (even when wrong) and people will assume you know what you are doing.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    You went to highschool at Wally World?
    !! Well played...well played.

EDIT: On a serious note, it's not a big deal, don't turn it into one. Like Ret said, women talk.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Sounds like someone has a little bit of a crush! haha just kiddin, but i'd follow the advice of cammo girl.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links