To talk or not to talk

To talk or not to talk

This is a discussion on To talk or not to talk within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a friend of mine today that I went to high school with at Wally World. I was carrying my XDM IWB, but I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To talk or not to talk

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

To talk or not to talk

I saw a friend of mine today that I went to high school with at Wally World. I was carrying my XDM IWB, but I was carrying Virginia Tuck style. We did the whole side hug thing and exchanged pleasantries. I was carrying at about the 2:30 position and I noticed her eyes go down to my waist band, over to my gun, at which point I know she saw my gun because her eyes went momentarily wide. We both said our goodbyes and I continued on my way. She seemed a little freaked out, but not overly worried and I wonder if maybe I should give her a call and try to talk to her about it. Shes a good friend, and I just want to make sure she knows its ok and normal for me and others to carry instead of her blabbing to everyone that "Cooley has gone psycho, he even carries around a gun and everything!"
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Your friend might well "blab," as you suggest. You might know her that well, or not. If she's a "good friend" as suggested, I don't see why calling up to ensure a good outcome would be seen as a bad thing, particularly if she seemed "bent" at the time. Better to have her wondering what the big deal is after your call, than to have her remaining truly "bent." Friends do that. Better to help her over that hurdle, if she's in need of a short talk about it. She might not, but you won't know unless you call up your good friend to check on things. IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Girls talk. And talk.

Calling her would be a big mistake. This will make her talk FOR SURE.

Hypothetically: "Remember Chris Jones? I ran into him today and noticed he was maybe carrying a gun.......THEN HE CALLED ME TO TALK ABOUT IT.....Hellllo, what's to talk about, OMG he was, like, carrying a GUN. Is he going stalker on me or what"??

Just trying to help. I would honestly not worry about it.

so i got one answer on each side of the fence, lol, thats what im thinking cammo girl, but at the same time what if she is freaked and needs reasurrance that im not a freak
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

GM
    If she is a good friend I should tell her that I legally carry a firearm. Actually, that is exactly what I did for a while ago, and since that my life became so much easier. I almost lost two very good female friends because I used to believe in "always carry never tell"; such a foolish big mistake it was.

I should call her.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member
    Dude, what I am saying here is that if you call her and get all touchy feely about it this will really raise her interest in the whole thing.

Really who cares if some girl you went to high school with and then talked to at Walmart thinks you are a freak. So what. Besides, being a little mysterious is sort of attractive to women. Let her wonder and if she wants to draw conclusions then so be it. Double up on your cool.

Maybe I just had a bad day and have a take no prisoners attitude. Yesterday I might have said get on the phone and spill your guts.

lol, cammo girl, at least you made me laugh, and thats a good point about the whole mystery thing, granted i was in a white t-shirt and khaki shorts, so i doubt shes thinking super spy. oh well, most of my friends don't know what i actually do for a living, so that probably works out

I don't claim to be an expert on women, a total of 47 years of marriage has taught me that. WIth that said, I think that the more you try to convince a female that you are not a "freak" the more she will think that you are.

GM
    Remember that not all the people are used to deal with firearms like we do, and for that reason they might react in a way that we consider to be irrational. But if their friends do not try to explain to them what it is about, who will do it? You decide if you want to play tough guy and perhaps lose your friend or if you want to try to save that friendship before it is too late.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If it's not a big deal, don't make it one. Act normal and people think you're normal. Act like you own the place. I think you get what I'm saying right? Let it go. If you do call her, don't mention it unless she asks a question. Then act normal. "Oh, yeah. I've been carrying for a while now. You see all the crime on the news these days? Crazy people out there you know."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think just letting it go might be the prudent thing to do, I just continued on with the conversation and didn't stop being friendly when i saw her eyes wandering, actually it was kind of nice having a female give me a once over I think just letting things go on would be the prudent thing to do

She might be like "hey, this guy had a huge bulge...!" lol
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I'd let it go. Who knows, it might be a topic for discussion the next time you run into her (or she seeks you out).... Maybe it will spark her to ask about shooting...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You were carrying openly!!! Why do you feel the need to call this inconsequential person? Open carry is open carry and pretty much says it all. You're letting it all hang out there so people are gonna think what they want to think. You've already decided what they think doesn't matter or you would have had your gun concealed.

Drive On and forget about it. Really.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Scenario #1...
    You don't call her.
    After your meeting, this person calls everyone she knows to tell them about your gun...

Scenario #2...
    You call her after the meeting.
    After your call, this person calls everyone she knows to tell them about your gun...

So why call her? Let it go, life goes on.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links