AF OSI Oper Carrying off base in town

This is a discussion on AF OSI Oper Carrying off base in town within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friday I saw three AF OSI guys open carrying in Aurora, CO. I know OC is totally legal in Aurora, but I thought it different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AF OSI Oper Carrying off base in town

Friday I saw three AF OSI guys open carrying in Aurora, CO. I know OC is totally legal in Aurora, but I thought it different to see guys in what looked like under cover street close ( old T-shirt cargo pants, baseball cap backwards) with their shirt pulled up over their pistol and a AFOSI badge next to the P229. Are OSI "sworn officers" or are they like SP/MP's ? I guess with a badge of any type ppl don't freak-out and make that "man with gun" call. I've heard Aurora is medium warm to OC. The Aurora PD will supposely try and convince you tocover-up.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I'm a retired OSI Special Agent and always had authority to carry off base with the exception of a few European countries that are not very gun friendly. We were always involved in joint investigations/task forces with local and other federal agencies and a good majority of our investigations took place off military installations.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    I'm a retired OSI Special Agent and always had authority to carry off base with the exception of a few European countries that are not very gun friendly. We were always involved in joint investigations/task forces with local and other federal agencies and a good majority of our investigations took place off military installations.
    Yep, I have a good friend who is currently OSI and they pretty much carry like any other Federal LEO. A lot of his investigations involves tracking down people who are on "unauthorized leave" or are deserters and often coordinate those efforts with the local LEO's where they are operating. They are certainly not restricted to carrying only on base like the regular base security police, which he was for 9 years before getting into OSI.

He's also done two deployments in Iraq with OSI in which they looked more like private contractors than they do DoD personnel. They traveled around in armored Land Rovers instead of Hummvee's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

AF OSI and NCIS are federal LEOS

Army CID is not...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I was just curious, they looked more like the Mod Squad rhab ab AF nnit. I noticed a lot of civilian OSI positions posted on the internet.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    AF OSI and NCIS are federal LEOS

Army CID is not...

Army CID is as well. And, just like NCIS and OSI, they employ both civilian and military Special Agents. The same applices to the Coast Guard Investigative Service (CGIS) as well.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

When did OSI become "Operators"?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    When did OSI become "Operators"?
    If you want to consider working undercover as an "operator," then they certainly do and are.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you want to consider working undercover as an "operator," then they certainly do and are.
    IMO there's a lot more to being an "operator" than working undercover, heck, I work undercover from time to time and I'm no operator. High speed/low drag specops types as in AFSOC, USASOC, MARSOC, and U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command are operators. I'm not trying to take anything away from OSI agents, they're great at what they do, but operators? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    IMO there's a lot more to being an "operator" than working undercover, heck, I work undercover from time to time and I'm no operator. High speed/low drag specops types as in AFSOC, USASOC, MARSOC, and U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command are operators. I'm not trying to take anything away from OSI agents, they're great at what they do, but operators? Don't think so.
    Well, the Air Force seems to think they are "operators" when they deploy them to Iraq and Afghanistan. While deployed there, they usually work away from the regular troops when they mingle amongst the indigenous people of the host country to gather intelligence. They often sought out, befriended and worked with "black marketeers" to gain their confidence and gather intel on plots against U.S. assets, weapons movement and information on insurgents. They "worked" public officials to gain trust and confidences and made deals with them in exchange for actionable intelligence. They didn't associate much with regular troops but instead billeted with, operated with, and cooperated with the other Spec Ops Forces such as SEALs and Army SF. They don't drive around in Hummvee's and instead used armored Land Cruisers and Range Rovers and did not wear USAF utility uniforms. Again they looked more like civilian contractors even though they were active duty USAF personnel.

My AFOSI buddy who is an E-6 has done two tours in Iraq since becoming OSI and had one tour over there prior to joining OSI. There were big differences between his first USAF deployment as a security police and his OSI deployments including where they were billeted, who they ate with, what uniforms they wear or didn't wear (as OSI they wore civilian style contractor stuff like 5.11 and Blackhawk BDU's, etc or regular jeans and other totally civilian garb) and also a big difference with what weapons they used and what their command and control was.

So, while you may not believe they are "operators" in your experience or knowledge base, the USAF certainly seems to think they are. And according to emails from my buddy when he was deployed, they weren't treated like "step-children" or like they had "the plague" by the other "real operators" like Navy SEALs, Green Beret's, and AF Combat Controllers they worked and lived with.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No offense to you or your friend intended. I'm sure that OSI has some "operator" types amongst their agents and I'm also sure that they're the exception, not the norm. Just like the FBI has HRT and SWAT teams but the regular agents are not trained or equipped to that level.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    WC!145 is right. As an Agent I was trained in a few "subspecialities" as the majority of us were. We were not "Jacks of All Trades", initially you were trained as a Criminal Investigator and afterwards depending on assignment, cleareance level and "needs" of the USAF you could go on to training in Hostage Negotiations, Sniper, Dignitary Protection, Counterintelligence, Technical Ops, Polygraph, Narcotics and Background Investigations just to name a few. As an example I went thru both the AFOSI Academy and the DEA Academy. I can only guess at this but I would imagine the majority of agents in the areas mentioned are doing Counterintell and Dignitary Protection as their primary duties coupled with the usual narcotics and blackmarketing problems that war zones tend to be known for. We had our hands full of that crap during Nam.

I was going to contribute, then read Torrejon224 and he hit the nail on the head. Enough said. They are Federal and can carry just about anywhere in the US. My best friend is an OSI agent and he said, they are even able to carry on acivillian aircrafts before 9/11, no1 its just Air Marshalls that get to concealed carry if I remember correctly.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    As a retired OSI Special Agent I'm glad to see some of the misconceptions cleared up. Its been a long time but in my day OSI agents were considered Federal Agents. We worked with the FBI, DEA, CIA and all the military agencies. Amoung my assignments was working with the Secret Service in protecting the President and Vice President, working with the Postal Inspector in postal cases, all types of criminal cases, and working on counter intelligence both in the US and overseas. The one thing that stands out in my mind is there was never a dull moment.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFtrevor87 View Post
    [now] its just Air Marshalls that get to concealed carry if I remember correctly.
    Negative, sir. All federal law enforcement officers are able to carry on commercial flights.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links