The New Wild West

The New Wild West

This is a discussion on The New Wild West within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From Zuma Press, Pictures of the Day ".... In the day of cowboys and the wild west, a large portion of the population carried guns, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The New Wild West

The New Wild West

From Zuma Press, Pictures of the Day
    ".... In the day of cowboys and the wild west, a large portion of the population carried guns, daily, in public spaces. It was part of the old wild west. Nowadays, especially in the west, ''open carry'' refers to the act of law-abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered handgun in plain sight, wherever it is legal to do so, as they go about their daily lives...."Story continued here
    Last edited by Skippys; August 17th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I look at these pictures and think how easy it would be for a BG to casually walk by and then snatch your gun from the holster when you're are distracted.

Also, if there was a shooting rampage about to happen and the BG's saw you had a gun...guess what?... you would be first on the list for elimination.
    I AM ALL FOR OC CC and MORE OF IT. I wish ALL of us could go State to State with NO restrictions. With that said here's my view of the story (wich is a VERY POSITIVE one) and it's pictures

The ONE thing I see in common with these pictures (except for one, with the man walking his dog) is, they ALL carry their handguns in a Blackhawk SERPA Kydex holster. While these are a good item, (especially for the RANGE) I see the guns to NOT be secured as well as they could be, and not be disarmed from the rear (or any other position) by a BG I believe, a GOOD thumb break holster with strap over the slides in order to help better secure them (the guns) A Bianchi, Desantis, Rosen, Safriland etc, goes a long way to help secure your gun a lot better than the Kydex types, which I term "day at the range holsters" BTW I DO sell guns and all that goes with them.
    You know, as a point of information, and not to start arguments here, BUT, the BGs read the gun rags too, and if you don't think they do, you'd better think again. They (the BGs) know EXACTLY what you're carrying, the mag capacity, how many spare mags a LEO carrys, and the strong and weaknesses of what you're carrying. Wear what you want, and to each his own, but the following links are a good read
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=482493

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393441

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...p/t-71218.html
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Anyone else notice that most of the holsters in that article were blackhawk sepras?

yeah just about all of them were. Quite a few glocks too. These were obviuosly possed shots and sevral were quite chuckle worthy. I like the one where you see the guy pointing to the pills that the old man needs to take. "Take these pills or else!"
    Attached Images
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I see that the lady (I'm assuming) in the supermarket has a nice 1911, but it's not cocked and locked.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As far as the SERPA nothing is perfect. I generally have my elbow over the pistol when I am carrying. And I OC less when my girls are with me anymore because of the amount of attention they require. That said, I have had a NCHP officer disarm me and he was very quick with the SERPA holster, from the front with his weak hand. I have also missed the button on the draw and yanked hard enough on the firearm to jerk my pants up a bit. It never budged. Neither the paddle nor the retention failed.

As I see it the risks start to level themselves out with the holsters. You can carry a SERPA and accept the risks. Or you can go to a level 3 and hope you hit all the safeties to get the gun into play. Like everything else in life, it's a trade off.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Personally, I think people exercising their 2nd Amendment Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is a beautiful thing! Excellent!
    Member of:
    National Rifle Association
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Defensive Carry
    United States Conceal Carry Association

Senior Moderator
    Attention, please:

Two dozen posts have been removed from this thread.

From the forum description: "Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

If you don't like OC, kindly turn your attention to the navigation tools at the top of the page and move to another section of the forum.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    yeah just about all of them were. Quite a few glocks too. These were obviuosly possed shots and sevral were quite chuckle worthy. I like the one where you see the guy pointing to the pills that the old man needs to take. "Take these pills or else!"
    No doubt about that.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I don't OC, so this is just my observation and question. It seems that everybody in the pics carries in front of their hip, i.e. 2:00-3:00 positions. Is this normal for OC? When I CC, I am usually at 3:30-4:00. Just interested.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Need to work on your observation skills.

That is a woman in that picture. The shirt is the same one worn by the woman in the previous picture.

One of the advantages of open carry is the reduced draw time. "If" I were to open carry I would choose a holster that would amplify that advantage, while still retaining some retention advantages.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    One of the advantages of open carry is the reduced draw time. "If" I were to open carry I would choose a holster that would amplify that advantage, while still retaining some retention advantages.
    Amen. Drawing from a tucked IWB leaves me no delusions of speed.

That is one thing I really like about visiting Arizona is how gun liberal they are there, go for a walk and you will very likely bump into several people that are OC....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    As far as the SERPA nothing is perfect. I generally have my elbow over the pistol when I am carrying. And I OC less when my girls are with me anymore because of the amount of attention they require. That said, I have had a NCHP officer disarm me and he was very quick with the SERPA holster, from the front with his weak hand. I have also missed the button on the draw and yanked hard enough on the firearm to jerk my pants up a bit. It never budged. Neither the paddle nor the retention failed.

As I see it the risks start to level themselves out with the holsters. You can carry a SERPA and accept the risks. Or you can go to a level 3 and hope you hit all the safeties to get the gun into play. Like everything else in life, it's a trade off.
    Yeah I don't practice drawing enough to have a level 3.... I have a serpa level 2.... I just keep my SA up at high alert when carrying and put my hand on it while in close quarters with un-known people...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links