Texan legal to OC in La ?

This is a discussion on Texan legal to OC in La ? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live on the Tx/ La border and I travel back and forth a bit. I have my Texas CHL which i know is honored ...

Thread: Texan legal to OC in La ?

Texan legal to OC in La ?

I live on the Tx/ La border and I travel back and forth a bit. I have my Texas CHL which i know is honored in Louisiana, but what about OC?

2. Remove Ads

Louisiana is OC ok. If you're here and you're packing and is shows, it's ok. LA law doesn't say anything about resident/non-resident.

louisianacarry.org for a compilation of our firearm laws.

OC is legal in Louisiana, but very few people do it here. Those that do are often stopped by police and questioned.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    You would be legal to OC here, but I'd give it some serious consideration before doing so. While legal, not many people know that it is, including police, and you're more likely to get stopped and hassled over it, possibly arrested, possibly charged with "disturbing the peace", etc. It's just not worth it, IMO. My OC experience here has been limited to getting out of my truck to pump gas or OC'ing around my yard (which you can do in TX too). I've never seen anyone else OC'ing, though I know there are people who do regularly.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    You would be legal to OC here, but I'd give it some serious consideration before doing so. While legal, not many people know that it is, including police, and you're more likely to get stopped and hassled over it, possibly arrested, possibly charged with "disturbing the peace", etc. It's just not worth it, IMO. My OC experience here has been limited to getting out of my truck to pump gas or OC'ing around my yard (which you can do in TX too). I've never seen anyone else OC'ing, though I know there are people who do regularly.
    Bob, If anything lke that ever happens to you please let us at LOCAL know. We are working to combat any such occurances and though they are rare they do happen from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Steve,
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League.
    www.laopencarry.org

I was told that regardless of reciprocity, the Texas CHL is for concealed handguns and valid for that mode of carry only. I'd like to be wrong on this one, so someone please correct me if I am.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Quote Originally Posted by TXcougar8000 View Post
    I was told that regardless of reciprocity, the Texas CHL is for concealed handguns and valid for that mode of carry only. I'd like to be wrong on this one, so someone please correct me if I am.
    You are not wrong. That is because you don't need it to Open Carry in La. We are one of several states which does not require a permit to carry a handgun openly. Now if you cover it up you had better have your TX CHL with you because La does require a Concealed Handgun Permit to conceal carry a handgun. Your TX CHL covers you in Texas for concealing your handgun too. You guys don't have Open Carry in Texas. Yet. It peeves me when someone says, "Why are you carrying that gun in the open on your hip? This ain't Texas." Duh, It's illegal to OC in TX you retard.

Steve
    Secretary/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Bob, If anything lke that ever happens to you please let us at LOCAL know. We are working to combat any such occurances and though they are rare they do happen from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Steve,
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League.
    www.laopencarry.org
    Thankfully, I've had nothing but good experiences with the officers down here, but I've heard about enough incidents (mostly in the shreveport and new Orleans proper areas) to make me err on the side of caution and pull my shirt over my gun. I wish it was more accepted, but I don't have the resources to be a test case.

I certainly applaud what LOCAL is doing though. Your gatherings tend to be out of my normal circles, but I want to come to one eventually.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I believe OC states such as NM, AZ, VA, CO, VT, AK, ID, WY, MT, SD, NV have essentially the same law. They allow OC without any precondition and regardless of residence. Some states such as UT require a CWP to open carry. Your best bet is to check opencarry.org for specific state information. I know LA isn't in the same catagory as NM etc.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I certainly applaud what LOCAL is doing though. Your gatherings tend to be out of my normal circles, but I want to come to one eventually.
    I absolutley agree, thank you for your efforts (although i live in Tx), I would love to head out there though and catch a meeting.
    "Molon Labe"

What are those five yellow stars for after the title of this thread, on the "Open Forum" main page?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    What are those five yellow stars for after the title of this thread, on the "Open Forum" main page?
    I believe it is a rating for this thread. Look at the top right of this page, under the ads.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

OC is legal in Louisiana but since I live in New Orleans I would rather carry concealed. I heard that you will get hassled by police and possibly disarmed and arrested. Since I am going out for the police academy next year I don't need any kind of trouble here.

Steve, do y'all have a Texas branch fighting for OC in Texas?

Sorry to hijack OP.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I believe OC states such as NM, AZ, VA, CO, VT, AK, ID, WY, MT, SD, NV have essentially the same law. They allow OC without any precondition and regardless of residence. Some states such as UT require a CWP to open carry. Your best bet is to check opencarry.org for specific state information. I know LA isn't in the same catagory as NM etc.
    Gotta be careful. Not sure about the other states listed, but Cities/Municipalities have retained the right to ban OC in CO...and there is no list (other than the city/county of Denver - who does not post where their border is).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links