Who had weak leg syndrome when they first OC'ed?

This is a discussion on Who had weak leg syndrome when they first OC'ed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even though I have OC'ed when I lived in New Mexico it was strange the first few times I did it in Maine. The first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who had weak leg syndrome when they first OC'ed?

Post Who had weak leg syndrome when they first OC'ed?

Even though I have OC'ed when I lived in New Mexico it was strange the first few times I did it in Maine. The first time I walked into a gas station / convenience store my legs where shaking. I knew my gun was exposed but I was not sure what was going to happen next. I was nervous and I felt it.

I've done it enough times now that the nerves don't come into play. The legs don't shake and nobody has made a big deal about it but it did take some time to get past that level of feeling comfortable.

So did anyone else feel this way their first time?

2. Remove Ads

I don't OC enough anymore to stay used to it. I still get a little nervous occasionally. When I was OC"ing a lot, it was not a big deal after a while. It took a while to really get used to it and not worry about it. I would not say I was weak kneed, but nervous for sure. Now, I'm at work or out with the family so I'm not OC'ing as much.

No more Flying Spaghetti Monster? Flying cat monster now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    No more Flying Spaghetti Monster? Flying cat monster now.
    I change things around often.

The first time I OC'ed it was pretty nervous. But after 10 minutes or so, I realized that no one cared and in fact, only a few people even noticed. Most people live in condition white. It's kind of sad.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Even though I have OC'ed when I lived in New Mexico it was strange the first few times I did it in Maine. The first time I walked into a gas station / convenience store my legs where shaking. I knew my gun was exposed but I was not sure what was going to happen next. I was nervous and I felt it.

I've done it enough times now that the nerves don't come into play. The legs don't shake and nobody has made a big deal about it but it did take some time to get past that level of feeling comfortable.

LOL! First I've ever heard of the disease myself. Being from a state of CC only, I regularly visited OC states (Kansas) last year. It felt good to be in that environment, and I didn't get much hassle out of it when I did. Thing is....when you do something you know is right, and you're lawful in doing so.....why should it cause you to be apprehensive in any way? First time, second time, tenth time, thirtieth time. Be sure in everything you do. Without self confidence, you'll be weak.....hence, you won't be walking down the aisle in a tactical sense of mind. Quit letting others bend your beliefs. Being nervous your first time out is one thing....that's a given....but the reason behind your nervousness is what needs to be questioned. Be confident in what you do....always. You do what you want to under the laws, and never second guess your ideals in doing so.

COOL! I didn't know OC is legal in Maine.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Last time I remember,my leg shaking was in 1984,I was an LEO and came within about 2 pounds of trigger pull away from shooting a domestic violence suspect,he dropped the knife when he saw the hammer moving back on my 686.While I was writing my report my right leg started spassing on me,lasted about a minute
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

... my legs where shaking ... nervous and I felt it. So did anyone else feel this way their first time?
    No, not to the degree of having such physical symptoms. About the only wondering I did was about the inevitable questions I thought I might get during the day, as to why I was carrying, why I felt I needed a gun, etc. Reality was, I was legal and justified, I had been passing background checks for the better part of 20yrs, and my community felt generally okay with the concept of defensive firearms in the hands of citizens. There wasn't much to be worried about, then or now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've lived in an OC state my entire life, so when it came time for me to start carrying, I knew the law and I was not nervous.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

I havent been around here in a while, but - Yes I did have weak leg syndrome the first few times I OC'd. I got over it after 4 or 5 times doing it and now I OC all the time.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I lived in a small rural town where it wasn't too uncommon to see OC and I did it myself often, just because I lived in an area where couger and other dangerous animals were often sighted. the only time I felt the least bit uncomfertable was last 4th of july at a fireworks display where there were multiple LEO's and cadets providing security...but all went well.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I had weak legs when I first open carried. I really thought the cops were going to come out and put me on the ground and ask me what I was thinking to openly carry a pistol. That never happened but I still get nervous when I OC in places I've never done it before but not as much.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Yep, I did.

I wasn't always the fine upstanding individual you see before you. LEOs still register a certain adrenal-dump reaction sometimes regardless of my now-perfectly-legal status. Some things just never change, I guess.

I still get that feeling when I walk into a store and there is an LEO standing by the manager's office.

Conversation stops. Glares received with a smile and a nod. Life goes on.

You get used to it, or you start buying cover shirts...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Nope....never had that problem...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I hardly ever OC. Mostly in Winter during hunting season. When I do I think nothing of it and sometimes forget it's there.
    I have been doing it for so many years it is almost like second nature.
    I can't remember how it felt the first time I did it but I imagine I might have been a little nervous.
    Maine State Constitution Article I, Section 16:
    "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links