Going armed to the education of the public

This is a discussion on Going armed to the education of the public within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, it's a play on the Going armed to the terror of the public law in NC. Hey, I needed a title for this little ...

Thread: Going armed to the education of the public

Going armed to the education of the public

OK, it's a play on the Going armed to the terror of the public law in NC. Hey, I needed a title for this little story.

Most of my OC trips have been completely uneventful lately. That's good. I had one today that was interesting in a good way.

I picked up my step dad to go put a tree stand up for him. We had to go on the other side of Hickory to get the stand from his son. On the way to the property we stopped for some drinks and to find some deer corn. No one at the gas station noticed I was carrying. They directed us across the road to a little pipe shop on Hwy 16 that sells deer corn. Yeah, you get random things like that when you get out of the urban areas. Like gas, bait, groceries, movie rentals, and tanning beds in a run down gas station. We went in the pipe shop to ask if they had any corn left. The lady came out front, stuttered a bit, looked at me and said, "Sorry, I just got a bit nervous. I don't see folks carrying a gun on their hip every day." (My step dad later admitted he did not notice it either. Never mind that we had been riding in a truck together for 45 minutes.) My reply to her was, "It's not for you." Said with a large smile. Then she started talking about wanting a CCP. We spent the next 5-10 minutes talking guns, classes, where to go, who to talk to, where to rent guns to try them out, and generally trying to steer her in the right direction for some training and a permit. I chalk that one up for the good guys.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good exchange. It was obvious from your demeanor that you were one of the good guys. Most folks will see it, if given the opportunity. Good on ya, for helping to send her in the right direction.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well done!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Education for is always a good thing.
    Well done!:hand10
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    It very nice of you to answer her questions
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Well Done!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    OK, it's a play on the Going armed to the terror of the public law in NC. Hey, I needed a title for this little story.

Most of my OC trips have been completely uneventful lately. That's good. I had one today that was interesting in a good way.

I picked up my step dad to go put a tree stand up for him. We had to go on the other side of Hickory to get the stand from his son. On the way to the property we stopped for some drinks and to find some deer corn. No one at the gas station noticed I was carrying. They directed us across the road to a little pipe shop on Hwy 16 that sells deer corn. Yeah, you get random things like that when you get out of the urban areas. Like gas, bait, groceries, movie rentals, and tanning beds in a run down gas station. We went in the pipe shop to ask if they had any corn left. The lady came out front, stuttered a bit, looked at me and said, "Sorry, I just got a bit nervous. I don't see folks carrying a gun on their hip every day." (My step dad later admitted he did not notice it either. Never mind that we had been riding in a truck together for 45 minutes.) My reply to her was, "It's not for you." Said with a large smile. Then she started talking about wanting a CCP. We spent the next 5-10 minutes talking guns, classes, where to go, who to talk to, where to rent guns to try them out, and generally trying to steer her in the right direction for some training and a permit. I chalk that one up for the good guys.
    THAT is the kind of encounter I like! Geez, if I could get someone to do what she did instead of screaming, "DEAF MAN HAS A GUN!!!" I would have a much better day.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Links