A warning or an invitation?

This is a discussion on A warning or an invitation? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I get home from going out I obviously have my 1911 or Glock 36 holstered openly because I prefer to OC in warmer weather. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A warning or an invitation?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

A warning or an invitation?

When I get home from going out I obviously have my 1911 or Glock 36 holstered openly because I prefer to OC in warmer weather. Anyway, most if not all my neighbors have seen me and know I carry when I get out of my car and go in my house. No has really said anything to me, but I know they have all seen it.

It got me thinking... when I'm OCing, walking into the house and the neighbors see it (some are on the shady side), do you think they see that as a warning to back off and not to rob my house, or do they see it as an invite to rob my home because they know there are guns they could potentially take? Basically, as the thread title says... is it a warning or an invitation?

Please don't turn this into an OC bashing thread. OC is my choice of carry and I hope everyone can respect that.

2. Remove Ads

I think it tells people that you have firearms in your house and it is a target of opportunity when you are not home as there may be more.

Hope you got a good safe.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    I don't see any possible way to answer the OP and stay w/in the above guideline

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Yes I do have a great safe. When I am not home I make it a point to lock all of them up (except my EDC which obviously I have on me). In addition I have the NRA gun insurance and an alarm system.

Of the less upstanding that notice, some will take it one way, some the other.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Well that could be seen either way. It is hard to tell what the BG is thinking.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Of the less upstanding that notice, some will take it one way, some the other.
    What he said^^^

However, I'm on the side that most BGs will "NOT" be likely to go up against a victim that is "known-to-carry" a gun. (There are just too many "easy" targets for them to go after.)

If you are concerned about a break-in while you are away, Keep all your other firearms in a safe; AND get a "big" dog.

I met my new neighbor the other day while I was CC'ing, to sum it up the guy was kind of a creep. There was just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way. About 20 minutes later I go back outside to check the mail and I had taken my cover garment off and I saw his eyes make contact with my right hip, and his eyes got all big. He turned around and went inside and has not spoken to me since. Seems to be a deterrent for my new creepy neighbor!

My guess would be that it would serve as a deterrent, for most. Knowing you have guns and knowing you carry a gun are 2 different things. Someone who owns them but is never seen carrying one might keep them unloaded. I've got to think that a BG who sees you openly carrying a gun on a regular basis would expect you to know how to use it and how to lock em up properly.

JD
    Administrator
    I have no clue what they're thinking.

Why? Because I am not your neighbor, nor do I know them. For all I know they want to break in and make a PB&J sandwich and watch your TV.

My guess is that bad guys won't mess with you directly unless they feel certain that you're not a creditable threat to them. Thus you're probably not likely to be approached by a single BG, but you might be more likely to be ambushed by several BGs at once if they feel you've got something they want. I can imagine that BGs knowing you have a gun might be more likely to break into your house while you're away looking for more guns that you left at home. Just my guesses based upon what I've learned about how BGs think.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I have no clue what they're thinking.

Why? Because I am not your neighbor, nor do I know them. For all I know they want to break in and make a PB&J sandwich and watch your TV.
    Maybe if he makes me a sandwich he can continue to watch my TV until the police arrive....

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    When I get home from going out I obviously have my 1911 or Glock 36 holstered openly because I prefer to OC in warmer weather. Anyway, most if not all my neighbors have seen me and know I carry when I get out of my car and go in my house. No has really said anything to me, but I know they have all seen it.

It got me thinking... when I'm OCing, walking into the house and the neighbors see it (some are on the shady side), do you think they see that as a warning to back off and not to rob my house, or do they see it as an invite to rob my home because they know there are guns they could potentially take? Basically, as the thread title says... is it a warning or an invitation?

Please don't turn this into an OC bashing thread. OC is my choice of carry and I hope everyone can respect that.
    Neither actually. If you wear OC for a warning, then you'd be carrying OC in the wrong way IMO. How do others see it? You can only guess. What does it matter really? Just something you think others might think weighing on your mind when you don't need anything extra weighing on your mind. Those who might interpret it as an "invitation" have some serious problems, and running toward their destiny faster than you can keep up with for sure. Thing is, you need to always be ready. Now is when to accidentally hit the panic button for your home alarm system while walking from your vehicle to the house. ;)
    How do others see your OC? Why dwell upon it? Warning or invitation? That my friend is only in your mind how others perceive you or what they might be thinking. Worrying about what others think about you or what you do will only drag you down and away from your focus and why you do what you do based on your own free will and the rights we have in this country to back them up.
    OC bashing thread? How could you ever think such a thing unless you're unsure of your own conviction? Like I said...be prepared. Stand your ground. Nobody actually has a right to tell you what you're doing is wrong in any way. Especially if they have never had the experience...nor the true grit to assert their rights and opportunity to do it themselves. That my friend is how things really work.
    Think about this.......each time you OC, and because you do so....you are in effect....re-educating America. Back to what this country was made from, and why it still exists. I OC every time I get the opportunity, and I'm hoping for state laws to change here. I'm an advocate. But I think everyone should have the choice at the same time. OC or CC. Each and every one of us decides what's best for us. We should do so with a focus and reason. Don't be worried about being written down in someone's list of things to do, or being listed in someone's book of 'scary people to avoid'. Just worry about what's best for you.....to heck with everything else. If this doesn't shed some new light on your question, just let me know. Do as you will (legally), while harming noone, and be at peace with yourself and your decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I met my new neighbor the other day while I was CC'ing, to sum it up the guy was kind of a creep. There was just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way. About 20 minutes later I go back outside to check the mail and I had taken my cover garment off and I saw his eyes make contact with my right hip, and his eyes got all big. He turned around and went inside and has not spoken to me since. Seems to be a deterrent for my new creepy neighbor!
    Same here. . . my irritating neighbors quit knocking on my door the first time they saw my pistol in my holster when I opened the door :) I am more concerned about the fact that my TV was visible to them when I opened the door than the pistol on my hip. The kind of "shady" neighbors that break in usually steal guns as a bonus, not a specific target. My big screen, my xbox, and my bluray player are far more likely to trigger a breakin than my sidearm.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links