"What would happen if you shoot that gun?"

This is a discussion on "What would happen if you shoot that gun?" within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was OCing my Charter Arms .357 snub in Walmart. As I was checking out at the self checkout, I heard a young voice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yesterday I was OCing my Charter Arms .357 snub in Walmart. As I was checking out at the self checkout, I heard a young voice ask "Mom, is that his gun?" She ignored him and he asked again, at which point she said "Well, uh, yes, it is." Next he walks up behind me.

Him: Hi.
    Me: Hello.
    Him: What would happen if you shoot that gun?
    Me: It could hurt somebody very badly.
    His mom, smiling: Excellent answer.
    Him: Would it kill someone?
    Me: Yes it would.

At that point I was done checking out and left. I thought about educating him further on guns but figured his parents can do that. He was maybe 4-5 years old. Dunno if I could have answered any better, but I thought the whole thing was generally positive. I think his mom was glad that I left him with the impression that guns can be dangerous and shouldn't be played with, which is probably a good understanding for a 5 year old.
    Be Prepared

Doesn't sound like a bad encounter. I think you handled it well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I would have changed only one response.

You: That's possible.

That way no one could look at you as a "killer looking for someone to shoot". Actually most survive a gunshot wound according to the various law enforcement studies I have seen

"Yes, it could because it's a very dangerous tool used to defend people from bad guys."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Brave child to walk up and start a conversation with a complete stranger toting a gun.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Brave child to walk up and start a conversation with a complete stranger toting a gun.
    I have a feeling that when the time comes our encounter will be a bit like this...

My son: Hey, Mom, look. That guy has a Charter Arms.
    Me: Yes, he does.
    My son to the man: Hey, mister, I like your revolver. I have a Ruger Bear Cat. My Dad carries a Les Baer. My Mom carries a Wilson Combat. Those are 1911s. Mom and Dad are instructors.
    At which point I would have to step in and say: He's very social. Nice to meet you, I'm.....

In any event. I'm glad you were open to talk to the little guy. This encounter will likely stay with him for the rest of his life and when someone tells him that people with guns are crazy he'll remember the nice guy at the grocery store who was carrying and know it isn't true.

I might have said,that's why if you ever see a gun that doesn't have a grownup watching it,you need to leave it be and go tell a grownup...In my house he'd pass out from exhaustion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My initial wise guy thought was, "It would be very loud." Your answer is much better. I've dealt with a few adults, but no kids yet.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Reminds me of the first time we build a camp fire with my four year old at the time. She asked, pointing at the fire, "Is that fire?"

Yes, it is, and it's hot!

Quote Originally Posted by TWeatherford View Post
    Him: What would happen if you shoot that gun?
    Me: It could hurt somebody very badly.
    His mom, smiling: Excellent answer.
    Me: Yes it would.
    It's nice to see when the "wheels" are working inside a 5yr old kid's head. If his parents do their job correctly, he'll likely grow up knowing the proper, appropriate use for defensive tools. One can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have a feeling that when the time comes our encounter will be a bit like this...

My son: Hey, Mom, look. That guy has a Charter Arms.
    Me: Yes, he does.
    No doubt! And that day isn't too far away, either, Lima. Of course, he'll likely be pointing out that it's got the optional doohickey for the 2014 models, instead of the old thingamabob from the 2013 and earlier units. I mean, we've gotta know our hardware, here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree about changing the answer to the last question, but I like the way you handled it. I like Retsupt's answer.

My question is, how did the mom look while this was going on? Was it a nervous smile or that "sorry, he's quite the people person" smile?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Cool, it's nice to know that not all of the 5 year old kids are born into apathetic families, and bravo to you, for good answers!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

My wife says my 5 yo knows I carry, but since he has a tendency to "share" everything he knows with others and it has never come up, I doubt it. But I have tried to teach him that guns aren't bad, but they can be dangerous, like a car, a hammer, etc. The hardest concept for him to grasp was that since bad guys had guns, good guys need to have guns too.

My point being, as long as you showed the kid that not everyone that carry's a gun is a bad man, you did a good job.

LOL.... would have been interesting to hear the conversation Mom and son had on the way home..... I bet he 'drilled' mommy with questions.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I've never kept my son (4yo next month) away from guns. He knows I carry, knows the reasons, et al. He also knows what a 1911 looks like, because I carry one.

In the store he saw a friend of mine so we go to greet him and my son notices he's openly carrying his 1911 pistol (so as I).

Son points to the gun and says "Look Dad, he's got perfection dipped in awesome sauce."

This is the same son that wouldn't take hold a youth rifle because the guy at the gun show table didn't check the chamber before trying to hand it to my son. He was shocked when my son (3yo) asked him to "chamber check it please".

Some children are brought up right and proper.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links