A little education

This is a discussion on A little education within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got off work late today, 9 PM, after 14 hours. Stopped at Chick-fil-A to grab something for the wife and myself to eat. I was ...

Thread: A little education

VIP Member

A little education

Got off work late today, 9 PM, after 14 hours. Stopped at Chick-fil-A to grab something for the wife and myself to eat. I was OC'ing my SA 1911 and I noticed a guy staring at me. Nodded to him and turned back to the counter. I caught him approaching out of the corner of my eye and turned to face him.

He asked why I carried a gun, and I told him for self defense. He then asked if I was a police officer, to which I replied no. His comment was "Oh, just an average citizen." Next he asked if I always carried to which I said, "Ever where it is legal to." He asked me why I felt I needed to, and I told him. "Just read the newspaper and listen to the news, you never know when you might need something for protection." Next he asked if I lived in a bad neighborhood. I told him "No, not really. But crime doesn't recognize neighborhood boundaries."

Seemed to satisfy him. He said "OK" and went back to his table and family.

While it probably didn't sway his opinion one way or the other. I think it might have given him something to think about.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

good job, sometimes it takes a little spark of info to get someone thinking. Hopefully you provided that spark and we might have him carrying some day soon!

Good job! I might have ask him how he planned to protect his family if need be.

What was his attitude when he approached you?

Without knowing his attitude, the questions sound rather neutral to me and he might very well be “on the fence” and thinking about it.

I will say you handled that very well. Myself, after working 14 hours and hungry would have been very annoyed with all the questions. I would have just wanted to get my food and get out of there.
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Nicely done, now he knows that Joe Q. Citizen has the right and responsibility to defend himself and his family.
    He'll probably be dwelling on your answers for quite a while...hopefully, he'll realize why SD is important.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kinda like Blackjack, I'm wondering what his tone was when asking those questions. Was he just curious as tho interested, or trying to find ground to challenge your reasons? You handled him well. Regardless of his reasons for asking, I'd say he's thinking about it now.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Guy sure was ballsy to approach you with so many questions. Was he confrontational? I probably would have answered the first couple of questions and then become annoyed after he persisted to further interragate me.

VIP Member
    He wasn't confrontational with his questions. Not sure if he was just curious or looking for something for argument sake. Either way, my answers sent him on his way.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Great stuff... we all start some where
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Good job, hopefully his wheels start turning and he wakes up.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    When he "approached" you did it seem like it was more out of curiosity, or was he checking you out over concern for he and his family?

Good conversation you had with him, when given the chance always try to use those encounters to convert them to pro-gun
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

good job i think it is always positive when you can answer someone questions about carrying without being annoyed puts a good view on people who carry

Links