Is a handgun in an IWB holster with the grip exposed considered open carry?

This is a discussion on Is a handgun in an IWB holster with the grip exposed considered open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's as simple as that. How much of the handgun has to be exposed for it to be considered open carry? An OWB holster may ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It's as simple as that. How much of the handgun has to be exposed for it to be considered open carry?

An OWB holster may conceal the entire slide and still be used for open carry, correct?

So, is it okay for a person to use an IWB holster with your shirt tucked behind the grip and consider it open carry.

For example, if you are CC and your shirt slips behind your grip, in a state in which OC is legal, are you guilty of not CC properly or are you simply OC ?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A gun is either exposed or not; there's no degree. An IWB with a shirt tucked in behind it is open carry. In FL, concealed is defined as concealed from "ordinary view." FL has limited OC (to/from hunting/fishing only) so having the shirt "slip" behind the gun, exposing it to "ordinary view" would put you in violation.

In the last situation you give, what difference would it make, if both CC and OC are legal? None, I say.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good question.......I'd think it could very by state?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyC4S View Post
    It's as simple as that. How much of the handgun has to be exposed for it to be considered open carry?
    Your state's particular statutes should clearly define this. Generally, the requirements for the carry license/permit will designate what constitutes "concealment" or "concealed." And if it's not concealed, then it's openly carried.

In Oregon, for example, open carry is legal by any non-felon adult (the regular restrictions). Some municipalities have certain restrictions for people not following the concealed-carry guidelines, but otherwise open carry is perfectly legal. If carrying with a CHL, the carrier has the right to carry either openly or concealed. Since it's an open carry state, people don't regularly get cuffed-and-stuffed merely for having a bit of grip or muzzle peeking out from one's clothing.

But in some states, concealed means exactly that. If anyone sees anything, up to an including even the "printing" of the outline of the gun, you're liable to get your butt in a sling. So, know your state's laws very well in this regard. In Delaware, it is a concealed carry permit, so be sure to conceal it completely unless you find that doing otherwise is legal.

In a quick scan of Delaware Title 11, Chapter 5, SubChapters 1441-1469, I didn't find any definition of "concealed" or "open carry" that would distinguish between the two. You could contact the DE attorney general's office, for clarification. I'd suggest asking a competent attorney who knows the licensed carry of firearms statutes and use-of-force statutes in your state. The NRA also has a guide to the states' requirements: ie, Delaware's Firearms Laws.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is why I love living in Maine. I can carry either way and not worry about it. If I happen to step outside of my vehicle with my shirt tucked in between my holster and my Glock 27 is exposed I'm not breaking any laws. I'm just OC'ing at that point in time but I can also reach back and un-tuck and cover my Glock and I still have nothing to worry about.

Simple answer, YES...concealed is concealed!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The "Virginia Tuck." I don't think there is any clear consensus even in Virginia. It could be a grey area in the eyes of the law if what you are wearing is designed as a concealment holster.

http://vagunforum.net/carrying/conce...ion-t4538.html
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    In Virginia ,as long as you have a CHP, it doesn't matter which mode of carry you use. I OC using both IWB and OWB holsters. As long as it is recognizable as a gun it is considered OC.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    This is why I love living in Maine. I can carry either way and not worry about it. If I happen to step outside of my vehicle with my shirt tucked in between my holster and my Glock 27 is exposed I'm not breaking any laws. I'm just OC'ing at that point in time but I can also reach back and un-tuck and cover my Glock and I still have nothing to worry about.
    That is exactly what I'm saying. It can be concealed, but if it is in view, then it is open carry and still legal, right? RIGHT! In DE as far as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Simple answer, YES...concealed is concealed!
    So... simple answer, if it's not concealed then it's OC. A print is not concealed... If you're state allows OC, then you're cool. Not that I want to test it, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless.

In Louisiana, if any part of the handgun is recognized as such, then its considered OC. However, CC is legal with CHL and OC is legal regardless, so it wouldn't matter, similar to what "WhoWeBePart1" said.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In NM it's considered concealed unless the gun is unloaded.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

This question is why I have separate OC and CC holsters. Personally, it's all or nothing for me. There are guys in NC that have done just that with a CBST. I guess it's tough for a LEO to say, "I see your gun, your concealing it." I just would rather be very clear that I'm OC'ing. The only time I tuck my shirt behind my CC holster is in the car. To each his own though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Huh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Not sure I get that.

If I am Carrying Appendix with a IWB Holster and the grip is all that is showing.......that is concidered concealed?

To tell the truth it looks a bit thuggish, says the wife.

I'm thinking it is a grey area in NM and if the cops want to push it they will and then you can take it up in court......not somewhere I want to go or a fight I want to fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links