Defensive Carry banner

Anywhere You Think People Should NOT Carry?

6K views 87 replies 54 participants last post by  livewire 
#1 ·
I find that most open carry types are of the belief that we should be able to carry (openly) just about anywhere.

It seems that the common reason for this is rooted in the whole "an armed society is a polite society" line of thinking where people will tend commit acts of violence less often when they know that they are very well facing a hard target. Scum prey on the weak and all that.

All that being said, is there anywhere you think we should all agree that our right to carry should be self-limited?

I, for one, think that allowing guns into a court room is just plain stupid. It would only be a matter of time before the mafia sends in a suicide shooter to take out a witness who is on the stand.

Plain and simple, if I knew that the courtroom was full of people carrying guns who were doing so without being screened (as is the case for OCers here in Michigan), I would NOT testify if it was a case where the stakes were high enough to have me pressed into the Witness Protection Program.

Maybe if they did the testifying by video...but other than that, I'd stand in contempt of court and refuse.

Any other places where guns don't belong?

See less See more
#2 ·
I, for one, think that allowing guns into a court room is just plain stupid. It would only be a matter of time before the mafia sends in a suicide shooter to take out a witness who is on the stand.
What's to stop this from happening outside the courthouse before they get to the stand?

We should be allowed everywhere! RKBA

#6 ·
It seems that the common reason for this is rooted in the whole "an armed society is a polite society" line of thinking where people will tend commit acts of violence less often when they know that they are very well facing a hard target. Scum prey on the weak and all that.
For me, the point of the exercise is this: To be able to survive until the cavalry arrives, you've got to use what you've got with you ... whether that is effective H2H skills or effective tools.

I'd love to hope that "an armed society is a polite one," but I am not going to bet my life on it.

is there anywhere you think we should all agree that our right to carry should be self-limited?
The only places on the planet that I truly feel don't make much sense to be armed with a firearm are those few places where use of it would cause such outsized destructive damage as to render the original defense irrelevant. For example, in the control room of a nuclear power plant, or down the walkway of a ballistic missile submarine along side the rocket fuel "cannisters" of those bad boys.

I suppose I also agree that inside a courtroom isn't a sensible place, so long as courtrooms are open to all citizens and criminals are essentially just a gunfight away from tasting freedom. However, I only think keeping firearms out of courtrooms should occur if seriously heavier firepower and manpower existed in each and every courtroom in which citizens were disarmed. This single bailiff crap is insufficient. But there darned well should be a check-in area outside the "secure" zones of the actual courtrooms, at which citizens can temporarily store their defensive firearms while attending court sessions.

Otherwise, I very strongly believe in the principle that having greater firepower available than the attacker(s) affects one's likelihood of surviving a violent attack. As well, I also very strongly believe that an extremely high incidence of armed citizens should equate to an extremely high likelihood of erasure of criminals within moments after daring to perpetrate violence against innocents. Beyond that short list of limited zones, I don't believe it's in our best interests to disarm upstanding citizens of their defensive weapons. The costs of doing so are, in my opinion, simply too high.

All in all, we can't possible do much worse than we've been doing, given the ugly combination of (a) criminalizing upstanding citizens for carrying firearms, (b) failing to stop criminals from carrying firearms, and (c) going after whomever is left standing.

FAR more sensible would be to (a) help all adult citizens acquire and train in the use of defensive firearms, (b) make it extremely difficult to legally press charges unless it can be proved a person cannot have acted defensively, and (c) stopping the turn-style approach to jailing and then releasing violent criminals via eliminating them once and for all once they commit violence against innocents. Do that, and we'd have tens of millions of upstanding citizens acting like it, working in concert with a benevolent group of temporary people elected to administer common services instead of running around looking for new ways to criminalize innocents for merely defending themselves against criminals.

#9 ·
"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." ~Richard Henry Lee

As for the Open Carry to the OP I OC 100% of the time... "I've got Nothing to Hide"

#10 ·
I carry my ar15 and sidearm into a nuclear power plant's control room almost every day I'm working :)
That's you, security personnel specifically trained and employed to protect the facility and staff. Anyone else new and "raw" to the facility wouldn't have that info. Not that any such person would be inside with a firearm anyway, untrained, unaware and clueless. The point was simply that places with outsized ramifications beyond any benefits should probably be such "secure" or "off-limits" places.

Agreed, that the moment we failed to always possess arms and always train everyone alike (from the inception of the republic), it was the beginning of the slippery slope. Had to happen, given how it started to slide from the get-go. Doesn't have to end that way, if we change it.

#11 ·
The grave, people shouldn't be allowed to bury their guns with them...a waste of a great tool.IMHO

#12 ·
:Winner2:

Beat me to it! I was going to say that I want my kids to have them.

#13 ·
I would say government offices, banks, courthouses, airports, hospitals and schools. Nonetheless, they should provide some kind of high security lockers where you can leave your handgun when entering any of these areas and then be able to carry your gun on when leaving them. For example, you may go to testify to the courthouse on a murder case and when you are leaving the courthouse a disgruntled member of the accused could try to attack you. Therefore, this area is critical to be armed.

#14 ·
Nonetheless, they should provide some kind of high security lockers where you can leave your handgun when entering any of these areas and then be able to carry your gun on when leaving them. For example, you may go to testify to the courthouse on a murder case and when you are leaving the courthouse a disgruntled member of the accused could try to attack you. Therefore, this area is critical to be armed.
I'll buy into that as a compromise, as I doubt that the ideal will ever be politically viable.

However, here in Virginia we can carry in many government offices, banks, hospitals and schools (other than K-12).
All the arguments for limiting carry voiced here are exactly the same as those the hoplophobic :sheep: use for restricting carry in the crazy patchwork quilt of no guns in/on/at "X" -- e.g., airport parking lots, airport terminals, any public building, any public transportation, any venue that charges admission, bars, churches, colleges, concerts, funeral, gun shops, gun shows, libraries, parades, parks, protest, public gathering, public meetings (councils, boards, etc), road side rest areas, schools, sporting events, stadiums, trains, to name a few.

However, there is no evidence that there is any higher rate of gun related problems in State "a", which allows legal carry in one of these places/events than there is in State "b", which denies legal carry in one of these places/events.

In addition, those States which have the most of this "but not here" restriction nonsense are the ones where the antis have lost the battle to ban out right or extremely restrict carry and now they are fighting a rear guard action to make it as logistically hard as they can for us to avoid run afoul of the law.

#16 ·
The places we're not allowed to carry are always the places the criminals wreak havoc. I think we should be able to carry everywhere.

#19 ·
Anywhere where the externalities of the discharge have massive potential above the life and death of those in the vicinity. For example any Joe blow around massive amount of liquid gas. Business as they see fit, behind secure areas in government offices, and however they rule on they as entities and states rule on the unsecured parts, finial court rooms.

#20 ·
Any place where there is a guarantee of my safety at least as high as I could achieve myself if armed. That means detection of any personal weapons on entry and armed and trained guards at the very least. This is basically Colorado law as of now for non-federal government facilities.

#21 ·
Personally I don't see any place truly worthy of being considered a "no carry" zone.

I agree with what KeepingPiece said, in that the places we are not allowed to carry are the very places criminals tend to wreck havoc.

#26 ·
airplanes, the average CC'er does not have the training or rounds that would prevent the hull of the aircraft from being penetrated if a gun needed to be discharged, I do however think they should be allowed to be carried in carry on luggage with the ammo in the checked luggage so as to prevent theft of the gun itself

#28 ·
Nothing significant will happen if the fuselage of an aircraft is penetrated. Thats is pure myth. I do agree that aircraft restrictions should be as they are now though. Perhaps there should be an option for those really interested in carrying on a commercial aircraft to prove proficiency and be able to carry.

Anyway, the only place I can say is court rooms and jails. Oddly enough though, I do support property/business owners right to make their own rules. I might not like the rules they make, but I support their right to do so.

#27 ·
Toys R Us, I mean who needs a gun in a toy store? :rolleyes: The places I don't OC, I still carry. But I'll let personal preference dictate where anyone else CC's or OC's. Places where you absolutely should not carry? I can't think of much. Unless you can absolutely ensure that no weapons make it in, what's the point?

#30 ·
Outside of a few locations that I am familiar with, in some manner, I think carry should be allowed in all the other locations.

Prisons/Jails
Nuclear Facilities
Court Rooms (should be secured in lobby)
Psychiatric Hospitals (should be banned in secure area only)

Those are the only locations I can think of.

Biker

#31 ·
LOL I am not a sheep, anti gun, anti 2nd amendment or anything else, I am pro common sense, pro addtional training (required or voluntary) and pro having a maturity level that goes along with carrying a weapon with that said this is one of those damned if you do or don't questions.

I think you should not be allowed in courtrooms, jails/prisons, bars (not talking restaurants that serve alcohol with a meal) but a full fledged honky tonk bar to me that is asking for trouble, anyplace that has to do with a mental health facility, and on aircraft but that is just me and my opinion.

#32 ·
We seem to be similar in our views, but I will always think kindly towards a bar that ask what kind of weapon you have when you enter. When you reply that you have none they respond towards you by bringing out a box with various weapons, telling you to select one and return it at the end of the evening.

Biker

#37 ·
There is nothing wrong with carrying in a bar. Everyone in a bar doesn't necessarily drink, nor do they get drunk. If you're going to get drunk, then of course, don't carry. Yes, you will meet angry drunks, but no one says you have to get into a barfight. Many times you can walk away. Even if you can't, it's a barfight - not a gunfight.

#38 ·
There may be places where having a gun won't increase your safety because the operator of the place has taken adequate precautions (I mean reasonably effective measures like 100% weapons checks and trained security, not theatrical ones like a no gun sign) to ensure everyone safety. The problem is getting to and from those places. The most dangerous time is getting from the car to the front door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.