Interesting observation

Interesting observation

This is a discussion on Interesting observation within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was out doing some running around and had 3 different people say something about my gun. None of the them were negative, just ...

Thread: Interesting observation

VIP Member

Interesting observation

Yesterday I was out doing some running around and had 3 different people say something about my gun. None of the them were negative, just comment about the fact that I had a gun on.

I recently switched my carry gun. My previous carry gun had a black finish on it, and sported dark wooden grips, 4" barrel. It was carried at 3:30-4:00 position. My new carry gun is a Springfield 4" SS 1911 with cocobolo grips, carried in similar holster and same position. Thinking back I realize I have had more comments since I started carrying this gun.

Has anyone else noticed that more people tend to see a weapon when it is stainless steel, nickel or chrome plated versus a gun that is black or blued?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sure. The shiny finish makes it stand out. And, it's not what a LEO would typically carry, so you probably got'em wondering what you are. If you want discrete, you gotta go back to dark finishes.

VIP Member
    -Drool. Duh, huh, wha? "Oooooh! Shiny!"

Kind of like that?

Sort of wakes people up a little bit. It reminds me of babies and shiny keys, or teasing a kitten with a flashlight.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Pretty things attract attention. Nuff said? Are you going to pay more notice to a '64 4-door Tempest or a Metallic blue '64 GTO with a nice set of mags?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I don't think that most people really look, or care enough about others to try and look. Shiny definitely stands out, and black on black will blend in...not a secret formula.
    However, when it's concealed, people who ARE looking can only guess. I would also guess that in OC states where it is more common, people really don't notice.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Didn't Massad Ayoob have something to say about shiny guns? Sometimes like stainless or nickle guns stand out more and tend to look bigger than flat black or matte guns.

And I agree that police usually don't carry stainless guns which can make them stand out.

The real test would be to see the difference in observance if you wear a white shirt with a stainless gun and a dark shirt with a black gun and vis versa.

People don't notice and I don't care. A shiny gun will get er' done just the same as a black gun , if ya know how to use it.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

I carry a G19 in a Blackhawk paddle holster with a shirt covering and I don't worry about printing or showing when reaching. People are not observant.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Those of us in states where open carry is verboten don't have to worry about such things. I carry a bi-tone XD, so have the best of both worlds (not that it matters here in Texas...)
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

The real test would be to see the difference in observance if you wear a white shirt with a stainless gun and a dark shirt with a black gun and vis versa.
    Interesting idea. The contrast in shirt color vs gun would be interesting. But mostly i agree
    -Drool. Duh, huh, wha? "Oooooh! Shiny!"
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

So my question here is...

You have noticed a definite difference in people noticing the shiny gun versus the lower key one, which do you find preferrable?

It's ridiculous to want to be conspicuous, go with the one that doesn't get noticed as much.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    And I agree that police usually don't carry stainless guns which can make them stand out.

I carry the same gun both on duty and off, a Sig P220R with a stainless slide and black frame. On duty, I have noticed that I get lots more comments about my gun that the officers who carry boring old black guns. (no matter the make)

When I OC off duty, which is often, I very rarely get anyone that even notices that I'm carrying. Shirt and pants color make no difference in my experience as well.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Aren't most fishing lures shiny?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I was in line in the grocery store and a little kid in front of me was tugging on her mother's pants, she said, "mommy, that man has a gun". The woman looked a little alarmed but I just smiled at her when she looked at me and she relaxed. Otherwise almost nobody even notices it.

Actually, I've only been approached while carrying my black XD...never my stainless 1911.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

Sponsored Links