OCed my 1st time

This is a discussion on OCed my 1st time within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This last saturday I OCed my first time with my black hawk serpa holster, blackhawk double mag carrier. I wore truspec ripstop pants, black polo, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCed my 1st time

OCed my 1st time

This last saturday I OCed my first time with my black hawk serpa holster, blackhawk double mag carrier. I wore truspec ripstop pants, black polo, and a blackhawk cqc gun belt. I went to get my oil changed and when waiting in the lobby I had a couple of stares and glances but when I paid the establishment did not ask me to leave. After that I went to the gun show and left my ammo in my car and at the door had my gun ziptied upon entering. (needless to say the gunshow sucked and everyone was trying to sell everything for a hefty price). After went to the local sportsman and picked up new meprolights for my glock, had them installed at the store, when the guy asked if i had a loaded gun he said next time i come in with the intention of buying something and having it installed on my gun to have it unloaded upon entering and let me clear my weapon with him watching. (Like to add he was nice about it) Then after that I picked up some woodfired pizza and went home. I was a little nervous about being confronted by a cop or anyone but glad no one asked about it
    Last edited by guardmt; October 11th, 2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: mispelled
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

GM
    That sounds very good.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Exactly the way it is supposed to go. Congrats.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    I was a little nervous about being confronted by a cop or anyone but glad no one asked about it
    There is no need to be nervous if you are legal. If asked for your ID by police I would suggest you give it to them. Be polite and confident.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glad it went OK, but good advice from the guy at the sports store...don't take a loaded gun in to be worked on. Too risky handling and unloading/reloading a handgun in a public place.
    Proud NRA member

Sounds like an overall good day! Especially the Woodfired pizza. Mmmm.
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

VIP Member
    As a citizen and LEO, I love seeing people OC, I just wish I saw more of it. Good job, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will get with it.

Stay safe
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I used to CC everywhere except restaurants that served alcohol (old state law in VA, CC in restaurants now allowed). My work takes me all over the state, and I carry while driving, my employer knows and has no problem with it, but it became a hassle concealing and then removing the weapon, then have to conceal again. I finally said the heck with it. I now OC probably 99% of the time. I have only had 1 person make a derogatory comment, and that was going into a restaurant prior to the law changing. Most people never even notice. I think of those that do, the majority think your LEO. I am around LEO daily while OC'ing and never have had any problem or even questions from them. OC and enjoy yourself. The more people see it, the more accustom they become to it. As long as your not flaunting it, most will ignore it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I thought everyone OCed in Montana.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I would feel much more comfortable doing it in Montana than in some of the more eastern states.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Glad it went OK, but good advice from the guy at the sports store...don't take a loaded gun in to be worked on. Too risky handling and unloading/reloading a handgun in a public place.
    This is excellent advice, the less need for manipulating in public the better, and in my opinion safer.

Glock Certified Armorer

Glad you had a 'boring' day with a gun worn OC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    That's a common request of gun shops when having something looked at. That's when it is good to have a snubnosed 38 for pocket carry so you're not unarmed while taking your other firearm in.

Your appearance and dress have a lot to do with how people perceive your open carry. Dress nice and conduct yourself very courteously and you'll be viewed favorably. Glad everything went smooth. You'll get a couple odd comments at some point...just be cool, professional, and don't get defensive and you'll be just fine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Open Carry... the original criminal deterrent.... (not trying to start anything) Sounds like a great experience...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I thought everyone OCed in Montana.
    Not as much anymore, nice thing though is you can CC out of city limits. You can OC in Montana at 14, I dont suggest it though enless they are supervised
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links