Why OC unless you have to? Food for Thought

This is a discussion on Why OC unless you have to? Food for Thought within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, my first post on the OC forum. This IS NOT a personal attack on anyone. I fully support open carry if that is what ...

Thread: Why OC unless you have to? Food for Thought

Why OC unless you have to? Food for Thought

Okay, my first post on the OC forum. This IS NOT a personal attack on anyone. I fully support open carry if that is what you want to do. I apologize if this is covering old ground but I will risk incurring some wrath to posit some food for thought. I fully recognize that I have no knowledge of this having occurred but it is only a matter of time IMHO. In 35 years of policing, one of the constants is that handguns are THE MOST sought after items by lowlifes. If you are openly carrying, yes you will MOST likely stop an aggressive encounter before it happens. If however, you have a determined enemy or scumbag intent on getting that super tricked out 1911/ Sig/ Mountain Gun, whatever, you get the point--they now know to do an armed, total surprise attack on you-maybe just shooting you in the back of the head and then taking what they want off of your cooling body. I am moving to Arizona next week and plan on doing a lot of hiking/ climbing/ biking. If I can work out a way to carry my Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt and/or Glock G22 concealed but readily accessible, that is how I will most certainly carry.

2. Remove Ads

I think I misread the guidleines for posting her and should have put it elsewhere. Sorry.

Well, this can be a hot topic. Everyone has their opinions. Some based on experience, and some on assumption. Either way, this topic is as hot as politics and religion. For me, OC is only used in the wilderness or away from the general public. I like the element of suprise and being discreet. Others have their own ideas, and while I don't agree with the logic, support their decision to do so. We are all on this thing together.

Agreed. As I said this is NOT a rant against any of my brothers and sisters who rightly carry in ANY manner.

It's also very easy to simply snatch the gun from a OC'er. The two most valuable items BG's trade on the open market are drugs and guns. The OC'ers are dangling the carrot.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, this can be a hot topic. Everyone has their opinions. Some based on experience, and some on assumption. Either way, this topic is as hot as politics and religion. For me, OC is only used in the wilderness or away from the general public. I like the element of suprise and being discreet. Others have their own ideas, and while I don't agree with the logic, support their decision to do so. We are all on this thing together.
    I agree with Glockman. I would OC where human interaction is minimal. I CC all other times. That's just me.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Some do it to make a statement. Some do it because there are laws restricting where they can CC. Some do it because it is more comfortable in their climate. Some just cant find a CC rig they like. Some don't see any point in concealing.
    Might as well ask "Why drive a Ford unless you have to?"
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Some do it to make a statement. Some do it because there are laws restricting where they can CC. Some do it because it is more comfortable in their climate. Some just cant find a CC rig they like. Some don't see any point in concealing.
    Might as well ask "Why drive a Ford unless you have to?"

Not to start another fight, but in my 25 years of driving, both Ford and VW are the only two that have not failed me.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I oc 100% of the time. In town, out of town, woods, grocery store, bank...no difference. I oc because I want to. No specific reason other than I don't feel the need or see the point in being stealthy. It's there, I lnow it, you know it, they know it. If a bullet has my name on it, it wont matter if I'm oc, cc or nothing at all.

Just a personal choice really. I have nothing against those that cc. Whatever works for your lifestyle and is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cop 1 View Post
    Agreed. As I said this is NOT a rant against any of my brothers and sisters who rightly carry in ANY manner.
    Unfortunately, it opened a forum for the "If you do it differently than I do, you are foolish" arrogance from the morons who continually ignore the basic rule of this forum. (see the post just below the one I quoted)
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

I do wish OC would become mainstream acceptable. I have some really nice western rigs that I would wear with barbecue guns in them.:)

Senior Moderator
    This topic has been beaten to death so many times on many different forums.

The bottom line is that we all choose to exercise our rights differently and those who open carry are certainly aware of the risks as those who conceal carry do as well.

In the end we are all trying to do the same thing... exercise our rights and stay safe and alive.

And, as started at the top of the forum. This is not the place to debate the pros and cons of open/concealed carry.

Links