Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida

This is a discussion on Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida OpenCarry.org (A pro-gun Internet community of over 22,000 registered members) For Immediate Release – October ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida

OpenCarry.org
    (A pro-gun Internet community of over 22,000 registered members)
    For Immediate Release – October 17, 2010
    ---------

Alex Sink Campaign Treats Open Carry Organizers like DMV Customers

Florida Open Carry to Hold “Open Carry Fish-Ins”
    on Nov. 6th in Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona, St. Augustine, and Ft. Myers
    ---------

Florida is one of only 7 states banning the open carry of properly holstered handguns, but apparently that doesn’t bother Florida’s Democratic candidate for Governor, Alex Sink, or her campaign managers.

Over the last two weeks Sink’s campaign staffers have stiff-armed repeated requests from both OpenCarry.org and Florida Open Carry for her position on restoring open carry rights in Florida. The question put to them was pretty straight forward:

“If a future legislature passed a bill restoring open carry rights in Florida, would a Governor Sink be inclined to sign it?”

Sink’s staffer “Jasmine” told Florida Open Carry’s Sean Caranna that the issue would need further “staffing and research” and that Jasmine did not know which department was handling the request but regardless, "you will just have to wait for them to get back to you.”
    “It was like talking to the DMV,” said Caranna, noting that “this late in the campaign you’d think the Sink people would be more on the ball regarding major public policy questions like gun rights.”

But it didn’t take long for Republican Rick Scott to provide a position on open carry. Within hours of OpenCarry.org’s inquiry last week, the Scott campaign provided this remarkably straightforward statement from Mr. Scott on the open carry issue:
    “As a member of the NRA and a hunter, I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and I will protect our fundamental right to keep and bear arms. Florida is one of only seven states with wide prohibition on carrying an unconcealed firearm. Repealing the ban on unconcealed or Open Carry will eliminate practical and constitutional problems in Florida.”
    According OpenCarry.org’s John Pierce,

"The choice before Florida gun owners on November 2d is very stark. Voters must choose between a candidate with her head in the sand on gun rights, or Rick Scott who is clearly NOT in the closet when it comes to gun rights.”

Meanwhile, no matter who wins the governor’s race, open carry organizers in Florida are driving on with both (1) an online petition to restore Florida open carry rights at http://open-carry.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=63
    and (2) open carry “fish-in” events on Nov. 6th in Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona, St. Augustine, and Ft. Myers; see http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Open-Carry/calendar/list/

NOTE 1: Currently Floridians who want to open carry must be fishing or en-route to/from fishing; no gun carry permit required, only a fishing license.

NOTE 2: Florida Open Carry’s Sean Caranna will speak at the Tea Party sponsored “Florida State Wide Get Out The Vote (GOTV) Rally” (on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at Orlando City Hall from noon till 2:00 p.m) about the effort to pass an Arizona-style open carry law to allow the people of the state of Florida to openly carry handguns without any permit.
    See more at http://cflrepublicans.blogspot.com/2...orida-tea.html.

Carry on!

###
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I wonder whether Scott also supports campus carry.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Someone's got to get that open carry bill on the Govenor's desk first. Therein lies the catch. Will the next state legislature take that step?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Someone's got to get that open carry bill on the Govenor's desk first. Therein lies the catch. Will the next state legislature take that step?
    Right!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

That, and the guy supports drug testing welfare recipients!

I guess I now have 2 reasons to vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
    That, and the guy supports drug testing welfare recipients!

I guess I now have 2 reasons to vote for him.
    That ought to cut back on the checks!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I would welcome open carry in this state, but I see it causing a problem. As a concealed carry only state (with minor exceptions), no one knows when someone is carrying, therefore--out of sight/out of mind. Few businesses post "no firearms" signs, which have no legal bearing in FL.

If open carry became law, I think many more people would carry noticeably and it would come to the obvious attention of store owners. What I think may happen, if such a bill is passed and signed, is that "No firearms" signs would be given legal status (Like the Texas 30.06 signs), negating the option of carrying in any manner in many more businesses.

We shall see what the future brings. In the meantime, I can't wait for the election to be over with so my phone stops ringing.
    Last edited by rstickle; October 20th, 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Partial reply to deleted post

If open carry became law, I think many more people would carry noticeably and it would come to the obvious attention of store owners. What I think may happen, if such a bill is passed and signed, is that "No firearms" signs would be given legal status (Like the Texas 30.06 signs), negating the option of carrying in any manner in many more businesses.
    This line of thought is similar to the anti-CCW "Saturday night at the OK corral, blood in the streets, gun fights over parking spaces", yada yada yada

I live in an open carry state, in a liberal city and when home open carry frequently and have encountered positive responses from 99.5% of business owners/managers. Had a couple question the legality, after I explained the law they just accepted it without further debate.

Comments like "I like it when you guys come in, keeps the bad guys guessing; I wish more people carried, it would be a safer world" are what I hear the most. Even the pharmacist at a local drug store that had had a problem with a druggie armed with a knife wanting drugs the day before said "Sure wish you had been here yesterday." I said I was a bit unsure about carrying in there today because of what happened the day before, he said "Feel free to carry in here anytime, the more they see people like you the more they will think about pulling that crap......And feel free to shoot any that do!" I took that as a rather positive attitude.

Actually, tho, OldVet makes a good point. Once change is in the wind, any change can happen.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

the state
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    This line of thought is similar to the anti-CCW "Saturday night at the OK corral, blood in the streets, gun fights over parking spaces", yada yada yada

I live in an open carry state, in a liberal city and when home open carry frequently and have encountered .
    The key words in your response are "an open carry state." People may be used to open carry there, but in FL they are certainly not. Open carry is allowed only when taveling to/from hunting/fishing sites, strictly prohibited otherwise. To have a large portion of the populace suddenly appear with guns on hip would certainly be noticed--and alarming to some, if not many. Seeing as a large part of the FL population is older, I'm sure many of them would be fearful, more so than now.

I feel FL is a leader in the pro-gun campaign, with its "shall issue," "castle doctrine," and "right to stand your ground" laws. Despite the "Wild West" proclamations the Antis swore would occur, it never happened.

At no point in my post did I say I was anti-OC. I am, in fact, pro-open carry and pro-CC. I made the point that what is currently concealed is concealed, and the general public is blissfully unaware of whom may or may not be armed and standing in line with them. "No Firearm" signs have no legal standing in FL as of today. If a CC is noticed, businesses can only ask that you leave, which you must do or risk trespass charges.

I feel that if OC should be passed for this state, as a compromise (and aren't all legislative deals compromises?) to any "antis," the state may pass some sort of law allowing businesses to legally prohibit firearms, no matter what form of carry is involved, and that would be a hinderence to protecting myself. I currently enjoy being able to carry anywhere except where only the state says I cannot (and the state is very liberal in that aspect); no county or city being able to override.

Can I be anymore Pro-2A than that?

And F350, keep your head down and come home safely.

I like open carry, not for the ability to openly carry a firearm but rather, for the possible criminal infractions it negates.

Biker

Cool

the state

The key words in your response are "an open carry state." People may be used to open carry there, but in FL they are certainly not. Open carry is allowed only when taveling to/from hunting/fishing sites, strictly prohibited otherwise. To have a large portion of the populace suddenly appear with guns on hip would certainly be noticed--and alarming to some, if not many. Seeing as a large part of the FL population is older, I'm sure many of them would be fearful, more so than now.

I feel FL is a leader in the pro-gun campaign, with its "shall issue," "castle doctrine," and "right to stand your ground" laws. Despite the "Wild West" proclamations the Antis swore would occur, it never happened.

At no point in my post did I say I was anti-OC. I am, in fact, pro-open carry and pro-CC. I made the point that what is currently concealed is concealed, and the general public is blissfully unaware of whom may or may not be armed and standing in line with them. "No Firearm" signs have no legal standing in FL as of today. If a CC is noticed, businesses can only ask that you leave, which you must do or risk trespass charges.

I feel that if OC should be passed for this state, as a compromise (and aren't all legislative deals compromises?) to any "antis," the state may pass some sort of law allowing businesses to legally prohibit firearms, no matter what form of carry is involved, and that would be a hinderence to protecting myself. I currently enjoy being able to carry anywhere except where only the state says I cannot (and the state is very liberal in that aspect); no county or city being able to override.

Can I be anymore Pro-2A than that?

And F350, keep your head down and come home safely.

Well stated with some very valid points.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I too agree with OldVet's points.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I like open carry, not for the ability to openly carry a firearm but rather, for the possible criminal infractions it negates.

Biker
    At least in Florida, it's not too bad. An accidental exposure does not qualify as "brandishing." Here, brandishing requires clear intent, so there isn't a huge worry about one's weapon being accidentally exposed... other than the simple social consequences, of course.

I have to agree with OldVet on this also, even tho I like the idea of open carry. His key comment, to me, is the 'blissfully unaware'; if we make them uncomfortably aware, we stand to lose some advantage.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links