Open Carry Handgun Retention.......

Open Carry Handgun Retention.......

This is a discussion on Open Carry Handgun Retention....... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With my state of Florida getting closer and closer to having open carry I would like to know from other states who already have open ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Handgun Retention.......

Cool Open Carry Handgun Retention.......

With my state of Florida getting closer and closer to having open carry I would like to know from other states who already have open carry what measures you take to protect your handgun when out and about in situations such as check out lines at the store, crowded areas such as theater lobbies or any other areas where others come in close contact (three feet or less) with you. I would also like to know the type of holsters that you use.

As a LEO and in uniform openly carrying a handgun I am always aware of my surroundings and those in my personal zone. I carry my duty weapon in a Safariland SS III retention holster and have had several courses in handgun retention and weapon defense.

Off duty I carry concealed in an IWB High Noon Public Secret open top holster with no retention strap and am still aware of my surrounding and those who are in my immediate proximity.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    When I open carry, which is very rare, I use a safariland holster with a thumb release on it so it locks my G19 in.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Administrator
    Just a friendly reminder to folks that you need to try really hard to stay on topic to the questions asked in the original post by the OP.

They would be:

1.) > With my state of Florida getting closer and closer to having open carry I would like to know from other states who already have open carry what measures you take to protect your handgun when out and about in situations such as check out lines at the store, crowded areas such as theater lobbies or any other areas where others come in close contact (three feet or less) with you.

2.) > I would also like to know the type of holsters that you use.

Any posts that are just.... "That is why I'll NEVER open carry!" or "Just carry concealed. Problem solved." or whatever....will be deleted at the discretion of the forum moderators as being off topic to the original post.

I carry my Ruger 9mm in a leather belt slide with thumb snap (retention level 1) and normally keep my arm down on or over it. Like you, I've attended weapon retention classes and stay aware of my surroundings and keep my strong side away from people when possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    As a LEO and in uniform openly carrying a handgun I am always aware of my surroundings and those in my personal zone. I carry my duty weapon in a Safariland SS III retention holster and have had several courses in handgun retention and weapon defense.
    The best thing to do is, when open carrying, use the same handgun and holster you wear on duty. You are used to the gear and it is safer than a IWB with no retention. It's a main advantage of Open Carry, being able to carry full sized pistols in good secure holsters.
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Well Tennessee is an open carry state and I often open carry my Glock 23 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. It's a good retension holster.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Well Tennessee is an open carry state and I often open carry my Glock 23 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. It's a good retension holster.
    +1 Orange. I open carried when i lived in Tennessee (still have trouble saying that I no longer live there without tearing up) and I wouldn't OC in anything other than at least a level II holster. But the best retention tool you can use is situational awareness.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Same holster but for my ruger p95. it holds great not come'n out unless you want it to. i dont open carry often in public but wile huntin or fishin i almost always do

I only get to open carry in Kansas. Done this several times over the past two years. Kydex, or leather, I'm open top all the way. Carry strong side, and my best form of retention is my strong side arm and a forward cant in the holster. I never occupy my strong hand with anything other than covering my carry. I avoid crowds, and I demand my space when in close proximity to others. Usually a glance or a stare, or maybe even a push back works for me. I always feel my pistol's grip with my arm, and my arm don't swing when I'm carrying OWB. It's close and tight. Leather or Kydex, I'm confident in the way and position I wear them in. No law enforcement or formal retention schooling here. Self training and disciplined. I'd rather not have anything extra to think about other than a quick draw. I am more aware when I carry openly actually. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to do it.
    Some of my open carry holsters are IWB holsters actually. I just tuck my shirt inside the holster when carrying openly. Black shirt and black holster with black pistol helps. Got to realize that when I'm on a trip into open carry territory that I go through two states that dictate I CC. I've transitioned to a true OWB holster a few times.
    Since carrying on the job dictates your carry gear and retention for reasons, then contemplating open carry as a member of the public (off duty) without the same means of retention, shouldn't really make any difference. You obviously carry yourself among the public the same way you do on duty. An open top holster and your carry should give you a little sense of freedom in this case. Your time away from the job should be a time of relaxation and less worry while still keeping your trained senses about you in every aspect. Don't over-think things IMO.

OC only state here....Glock 27 SERPA CQC level II and I wear black underneath, then my right hand "strong side" if you will gets used as little as possible so it's just as ready to defend as it would be to deploy, put the head on a swivel and with the fact people can see it I'm not hesitant to pivot away or investigate something out of place a little closer. When possible, putting my strong side next to the counter/wall/display, weak side is first around the shelves or through the doors or any where I can't see I won't be displaying it for someone; adding weapon protection to the overall mindset. So far with the black on black and the small frame, I haven't noticed anyone noticing my carrying. When I a G23 to the lineup I'll go to a level III Serpa, but I can't find one for the baby Glocks in any brand; and equipment is only part of the equation.

Glock Certified Armorer

If I OC OWB, I've had leather holsters made specifically for the handgun with good retention and a thumb break top retention strap in which the top of the inner strap snap side rides low, below the top of the strap. Difficult for someone else to get to. I also usually only OC at an area between 2 and 3 o'clock and am aware using my strong side arm for cover. Other times I OC IWB at 2 o'clock position not covered (dress shirt tucked in and non-tuckable holster). I'm personally not comfortable carrying my weapon "behind me" whether concealed or not. Just my personal preference. I prefer carrying pocket or 2 o'clock.

One evening last week, a very close friend and I were shooting pool in our garage (man cave) and we both carry, go shooting together, etc. I was carrying a full size 1911 OWB and placed it at 4 o'clock before I went to make it easier to shoot pool. It was just he and I and my t-shirt was not concealing once I removed my light jacket and I was bending and reaching to shoot pool. We were talking about guns, his son's 1911and Glock, and his desire for a Kimber. He then asked, "What would you do if someone grabbed your gun from behind?" and I replied, "I'd have this in their gut before it cleared the holster!" and I safely revealed the .357 Magnum revolver in my weak side pocket with my left hand. He said, "Good plan, I didn't think of that." I told him it was like having one of those little skinny emergency spare tires in your car. You rely on your big tires, but when you need the little spare, you're darn glad to have it.

PS. I hadn't thought of it before writing this reply, but I was OC and CC at the same time. Perhaps no one would ever suspect that, diversionary? I just did it and didn't really think about it, but now I'm thinking about the simultaneous OC and CC.
    Last edited by BugDude; October 22nd, 2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: added PS
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

G 19 in a SERPA at 3:00.

SA is a good start. I also use whatever I can to separate my firearm from other folks. Turn to the side, drape my arm over it, shopping carts, counters, shelves, etc. I'll turn my strong side into the merchandise in a store. I'll turn it away from folks behind me in line. If there is a line behind my at a gas station I'll turn it towards the counter. Basically, I try to get something in the way to make it harder to get to the firearm. I don't carry anything in my right hand if I can help it. If I do, it will get tossed. Kids have to hold my left hand.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    PS. I hadn't thought of it before writing this reply, but I was OC and CC at the same time. Perhaps no one would ever suspect that, diversionary? I just did it and didn't really think about it, but now I'm thinking about the simultaneous OC and CC.
    1 is none, 2 is 1 and three is just enough; same is often said for spare mags, and some people like to carry a gun around their spare mag to save time reloading.

Glock Certified Armorer

Take a look at Safariland's Model 6377/6378

Check out Safariland's Model 6377/6378. It looks like it's an open top holster but it does have a thumb-break mechanism similar to your SS III. I bought one a month or so ago and so far I like it. Even though they show different model numbers for each holster when mine came it came with both the belt attachment and the paddle attachment. I got mine through opticsplanet for $30 shipped.

When I open carry, I am usually using a Blackhawk Serpa so I do have the comfort of knowing that I have a level II holster. I also try to keep my elbow over, or close to, my pistol so that it is easier to block any attempts.

However, to be honest, I have never had anybody attempt to grab my firearm from it’s holster.

Cool

Excellent replys and informaion. Keep them coming.Thank you for sharing.

Serpa is a favorite holster so far among those replying. My department issues the Level III Serpa for issued uniform patrol G-21 SF and Level II to Investigators and Command Staff for their issued G-36. The SS III is also approved for Patrol however you must as I did purchase it with you own money. I have used an SS III for the past 20 years and am very comfortable with it.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links