Really want to try open carrying but......

This is a discussion on Really want to try open carrying but...... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm only 22. I live and hang around the city where I went to high school in. I just have this feeling the first time ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm only 22. I live and hang around the city where I went to high school in. I just have this feeling the first time I try it i'm going to run in to my high school teacher, a friends mom or a classmate that I graduated with. a lot of people would not even think of this, but I am not much of a person for confrontations like these ones. Im obviously not a cop so I don't even expect that question although I wouldn't doubt hearing it. any thoughts on it?
    Last edited by Chazeman2; November 12th, 2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Just curious WHY you want to OC?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Sounds like you need to figure out just why you want to OC. What do you hope to accomplish?

Why does anyone OC if that's a relevant question?

My true answer is because i never have and i'm curious to see what it feels like. I can't like it or knock it till i try it

Why is probably THE most relevant question to ask. Please don't take it as a slam but you sound like you really should put some more thought into it before you start carrying either open or concealed.

It's not a boxers or briefs kind of activity, you are opening yourself to a whole new massive liability and you need to be extremely sure of your actions. With firearms there rarely are do overs.

Get yourself a good retention holster and first your first run....oc while getting gas. It's an outside activity, where you will be back in your car shortly...gives you a kinda quick out just incase you feel too uncomfortable.

I carry OWB 100%. I'm OC'ing most of the time. If I feel it appropriate, I drape my tshirt over my gun. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Why is probably THE most relevant question to ask. Please don't take it as a slam but you sound like you really should put some more thought into it before you start carrying either open or concealed.

It's not a boxers or briefs kind of activity, you are opening yourself to a whole new massive liability and you need to be extremely sure of your actions. With firearms there rarely are do overs.
    to be honest it's really no ones business why i want to do anything. EB31 gave the solid advice i was looking for. Isn't that what we are here to offer and receive in the first place?
    And I like boxer briefs because they give comfortable support.

What liabilities am i opening myself to?(honest question)

im not trying to be a jerk, but im not going to get pushed around on the internet because of how easy it is.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 13th, 2010 at 01:49 AM.

Of course it's going to be an awkward feeling, just like CC can be...but I'd give the OC a chance...go for it, you'll be just fine.
    Be sure to report back about your experiences.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

check out the Minnesota forum at OCDO They can give you some insights on OCing in your area....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

to be honest it's really no ones business why i want to do anything.
    don't have to get defensive, this board is about sharing opinions....gotta be thick skinned here.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I don't open carry and one of my main reasons is because I work in a very anti-2A atmosphere (employer), and I live in a small town. If I go to walmart, there is a better than one in five chance that I will see someone I work with, most of whom I would consider to be and if even one were to see me, then everyone at my job would know within a day or two that I carry. If I were seen by one of the 3 managers, and due to my employers outlook on weapons, especially firearms, the next day I was at work, I would probably be called into the managers office so they could have a chat with me reaffirming the companies no firearms policy (even though I don't carry on company property and even though when I was seen, I was off the clock and off of company property). I would then be subject to future search, or targeting for harassment.

Yeah of course I'm sure in some way this would violate my rights, and I could get a lawyer and sue, but why put myself into that situation and through that, for me it's just easier to CC and not stir up the hornets nest.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

If someone asks why you are carrying a gun you could tell them that you are going to the range for some target practice.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I frequently OC'd while in Alaska, but it's much more common there than in the lower 48 and doesn't draw much attention. The revolver on the hip isn't as noticeable as the shortie slung over the shoulder.

I also OC'd on occasion in WA, but only out in the field. What you'll most likely feel is a lot of undesireable attention if OC'ing in an area where it's not commonly done. It might be "legal" to walk around in public wearing nothing but a thong--but I'm not doing because I can. Sometimes attention is not a good thing.

It's a judgement call. If you find no one cares, so be it. If you find you are alarming people, you might want to rethink, regardless of the legality.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You can't really state it's no ones business why or how you carry when you put it out there and ask for opinions and thoughts on the subject. WHY is a very relevant question, especially when you come off as being so apprehensive about it. You are afraid someone you know will see you? This sounds strange to me in the context of what you are wanting to do.

Carrying a firearm IS serious business and you should have a specific goal or need to do so which is beneficial to your specific circumstances, not for show and tell. Like was stated, gotta have thick skin when you open it up, and be ready to articulate your thoughts.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If your state allows OC then go for it. It's like anything else, you'll get used to it. I don't OC often but have found that no one notices.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links