Lets rephrase!!

Lets rephrase!!

This is a discussion on Lets rephrase!! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im thinking about trying OCing. Im a little apprehensive about all the awkward moments that may occur. If you'd like share a scenario you have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets rephrase!!

Lets rephrase!!

Im thinking about trying OCing. Im a little apprehensive about all the awkward moments that may occur. If you'd like share a scenario you have encountered and how you handled it or what your plan of action would be if you ran into the one of these scenarios i would greatly appreciate it.. I know the easy solution for me would be to continue CCing instead, but i still just have that want to try it.

advice or general thoughts on trying OCing for the first time??

Some scenarios: Running into family, friends(more so acquaintances), parents of friends or any people that would obviously awkward to run into.

And a very important one: LEOs

As far as LEO's be polite and honest with them. It goes a long way. If you are concerned with having a negative contact with one you might want to have copies of relevant laws on you, but don't think you are going to necessarily be able to argue your case on the street. If you end up in conversation with an officer and are calm and cool you are much more likely to get the officer to look at anything you have. If the officer makes it plain they are not interested in what you want to show them, drop it. If for some reason an officer treats you like a suspect and orders you to the ground, comply. You don't know what they were just told over the radio. They could in good faith have reason to believe you did something. LEOs are people too. Some are quite cool, others suffer from rectal cranial inversion. Just like everybody else.

As far as anybody else, what's the big deal? Why would they be awkward? If they are rabidly anti just smile and nod and tell them that they are entitled to their opinion, and this being a free country you are entitled to yours. What you are doing is perfectly legal and really is no more any of their business than the title of the last book you read.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    You forgot to mention another category that could be a problem for you: fellow co-workers.

What if people that you work with see you carrying a gun? People at work then might start to gossip about you behind your back.

Last that I heard Minneapolis is a very liberal area. Obama got over 74% of the Presidential vote in Minneapolis in 2008. A lot of your co-workers could be extremely anti-gun, and develop a very negative attitude towards you if they see you open carrying.

If you lived in a more rural and conservative area, then I think that it would be much more practical for you to open carry.

I'll share an OC problem some 'travelers' may not realize. I live in FL and have a Concealed Weapon License.
    My son and grandkids live in Indiana, he and his wife have there IN permits. On first consideration, one would think that my son and I could both OC together in IN (IN allows OC)...not so!
    IN law states that you cannot OC in IN if your license states "Concealed..." This is an important reason to research state laws of those places in which you are going into 'armed'.
    So...
    When I visit IN, my son and I both have our licenses from our home states, but only my son can OC...I must remain CC. Reading state laws can be an 'eye-opener'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I was in Wal-mart and ran into my friend Katelyns mom, whom I know well because of her helping with the volleyball dinners for the team and me in high school. She kind of bugged her eyes a little bit and said ummm cooley, your gun is showing. I simply replied, oh i know, it does that sometimes, and changed the topic. Nothing else was ever said
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I read questions like this and I just can't imagine living in some place where the questions would ever come up. I live in a sort of semi-rural area, but it's right in the middle of the DC corridor, halfway between Richmond and Washington DC. We're not exactly way out in the sticks, but it's only a 15-20 minute drive "to the city" in about any direction. I have NEVER, ever had anyone express a negeative opinion about me carrying a gun, wearing a gun, owning a gun, shooting an animal or whatever. Not family, friends, strangers, law enforcement, co-worker, in town or out, nobody.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Chazeman2, if it is legal to do so where you live (I assume it is since you are considering it) I say start small. Try carrying OC to your favorite sit sown restaurant, that way you'll only be standing in plain view from the car to the booth/table.

Then try to a store, Wal-Mart or a Home Depot type place with a good amount of people. This should accomplish 2 things, 1) there are a bunch of people for each other to look and and not look so much at you and 2) it will teach you that even OC people tend to not notice.

[Disclaimer] - I have never OC outside of my home (not allowed, even in TX), I am merely going on experiences I have learned from people on this forum. - [/Disclaimer]

*NOTE: Please keep this thread related to suggestions for a fellow carrier in his decision to possibly carry another way. NO OC bashing, if you don't like the option or have opinions against it then don't participate in this thread.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Perception trumps facts every time. Especially since America has become a shooting gallery. Yes, OC is appropriate wherever its permissible but it will ‘grab’ the attention of others, whether they say anything or not. Personally, I don’t want that sort of attention, with exception that I may rarely answer the door if I’m too lazy to toss on an over-shirt.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I think if you've become comfortable enough with carrying concealed in a wide variety of situations, then the step to carrying openly is a relatively small one - at least in my experience.

Back in CT I never carried openly due to the vagueness of CC law and the prevailing sentiment that those duly licensed must carry concealed. Now I'm in AZ in the Phx suburbs, and while OC isn't common it's also not rare. If I'm on my way back from the range or a training, I barely give a second thought to the fact that my sidearm is exposed if I have to make any gas/grocery/whatever stops on the way home. Better yet, I have yet to see anyone give me an odd look when I OC.

While you want to be smart about your first OC experiences (i.e., maybe stay away from those PTA meetings), don't natter about it or over-think it. Paco had a couple of good suggestions as to places to carry openly on a trial basis.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    You forgot to mention another category that could be a problem for you: fellow co-workers.

What if people that you work with see you carrying a gun? People at work then might start to gossip about you behind your back.

Last that I heard Minneapolis is a very liberal area. Obama got over 74% of the Presidential vote in Minneapolis in 2008. A lot of your co-workers could be extremely anti-gun, and develop a very negative attitude towards you if they see you open carrying.

If you lived in a more rural and conservative area, then I think that it would be much more practical for you to open carry.

true, but knowing most the people i work with they wouldn't care enough to have a huge rumor start and i'm pretty sure political talk is against the rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I read questions like this and I just can't imagine living in some place where the questions would ever come up. I live in a sort of semi-rural area, but it's right in the middle of the DC corridor, halfway between Richmond and Washington DC. We're not exactly way out in the sticks, but it's only a 15-20 minute drive "to the city" in about any direction. I have NEVER, ever had anyone express a negeative opinion about me carrying a gun, wearing a gun, owning a gun, shooting an animal or whatever. Not family, friends, strangers, law enforcement, co-worker, in town or out, nobody.
    yeah I would have totally different feelings if i lived 20 minutes north of where i live. Going from minneapolis to 20 minutes north is a COMPLETELY different place and it would be accepted a lot more there. It sucks, but its true.

I live in the suburbs and OC occasionally. It isn't real common in the metro area, most people don't notice but you will get some stares if they do. No police encounters yet. Carry it like it's always been there, look like an upstanding citizen and be polite.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

My best advice to folks that want to OC is to know the law, know the law, and oh yeah know the law. It's helpful when explaining to folks that what you are doing is legal and why. Most folks will not know, including some LEO's. And people seem to relax when they realize you know what you are doing and why you can.

I have run into a couple of folks I know while OC'ing. I just acted like everything was normal. That particular person was not someone who's opinion I was very concerned with.

LEO's. I've dealt with a couple. Sometimes I run into them at the pawn/ gun store. I did deal with one for a minor traffic accident. He disarmed me for the stop, but made no negative comments about it. We talked guns for a while after the paperwork was done.

Another thing is act like you are doing nothing wrong. Don't get all fidgety or worried looking. I tell people to "act like you own the place." Or as Han Solo said, "Fly casually."

I've had some funny come backs to folks that tried to mess with me a bit. One guy told me OC was "kinda legal", to which I replied "Like kinda pregnant?" I smiled and laughed, he got the point. I had a clerk ask me not to shoot him. I told him it was not for him so don't worry. Folks will ask if you are a cop. Most folks don't notice though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Have you checked out OCDO's Minnesota forum? They can give you some insights on OC in your area, as well as keeping you up to date on changes in the law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazeman2 View Post
    yeah I would have totally different feelings if i lived 20 minutes north of where i live. Going from minneapolis to 20 minutes north is a COMPLETELY different place and it would be accepted a lot more there. It sucks, but its true.
    Drive 20 minutes north, go get some gas, stop off to eat somewhere, stuff like that. Interacting with less people and people that may be a bit more receptive to it is a good way to start. It will also reduce chance encounters with some people you'd rather not run into right now. It's a good way to get your feet wet. As others have said, be up on your info and don't engage anyone that might look for an arguement. I've never had a bad encounter with anyone yet, LE or otherwise but I've never liked OCing in larger, crowded places and personally avoid that.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links