Looking for info to repeal ban

Looking for info to repeal ban

This is a discussion on Looking for info to repeal ban within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good day Defensive Carry, How would I go about starting a letter writing campaign to repeal a ban preventing open carriers from carrying in stores ...

Thread: Looking for info to repeal ban

Red face Looking for info to repeal ban

Good day Defensive Carry,

How would I go about starting a letter writing campaign to repeal a ban preventing open carriers from carrying in stores that sell liquor for off site consumption in New Mexico? Does anyone have a form letter for this?

Thank you for your input,

-Damien

I would start by contacting the GOA and NRA

Here is what I would include.
    You need to state why you feel the ban should be repealed. I don't know the law in New Mexico, but it sounds like you can openly carry other places and that will not be able to protect yourself while going to the liquor store unless you possibly have a concealed carry permit (I don't know what the law says on this issue). If you cannot carry concealed in a liquor store (if the state doesn't allow it or you don't have a permit), where are you supposed to leave the gun? Can you leave it un-attended in a parking lot where someone might see you put the gun away before you leave your vehicle? Does the state feel this is safer than having the gun in your possession? If you have to leave it at home, you will be unarmed between your home/business and the liquor store. Are there any cases where carrying in a liquor store has caused a "situation", and vice versa?
    Most importantly, for a bill to be repealed, you need support from the General Assembly since they will be voting on it. Convince the Senators and Representatives why the bill should be repealed. It might not be easy if the same people voted on the ban in the first place (I don't know when the ban was put in place). Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I appreciate the your inputs, it gives me more to work with.

Thank You,

-Damien

You are welcome.
    There is also an option to sue the state and claim that the ban is unconstitutional and if you win a judge would order order the ban to be repealed. You will have to prove that the ban actually is unconstitutional though. This option is much more expensive since you will most likely have to hire a lawyer. It's also a little riskier since now there will be case law that might work against you if you lose. I don't know if there are any other cases like this, but that's something you can look into if you have time.

If the General Assembly repeals it, it shouldn't cost you anything so this is a better option to start out with.

Sponsored Links