Question about OC

Question about OC

This is a discussion on Question about OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about Open Carry. When I think about OC, I envision a scenario. For instance, I am in a place of business ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question about OC

I have a question about Open Carry.

When I think about OC, I envision a scenario. For instance, I am in a place of business and a bad guy comes in to hold the place up, but he scans all the people in the room first. If he is CC and I am OC, doesn't this give all the advantage to the BG?

If we are both carrying concealed, the advantage would be shared?

Please share your comment without posting something that will get this thread locked.

Kev
    <><

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    To answer this question would violate the regulations concerning this particular subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    To answer this question would violate the regulations concerning this particular subforum.
    You can't think of a way to answer without that happening?

You could always PM me.

Seriously, I am not trying to make this a problem, a trouble or an argument in any way. I am just trying to have an honest discussion. I have never OC except when I am hunting, which is 3-4 days per week.

Thats why always sit with your hip with the gun on it away from the door, Always try to get a booth and sit close to the outside of it, that way he cant see your gun.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    The average bad guys isn't looking for armed citizens. He is most likely scanning the register/clerk etc. trying to plan his next move. Hell, when I OC I would say only 20-30% of citizens/customers even notice my gun. The average citizen has what's called, cranial rectum insertion.

If OC concerns you, then don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Thats why always sit with your hip with the gun on it away from the door, Always try to get a booth and sit close to the outside of it, that way he cant see your gun.
    Good point

PS_ I like your avatar, just found it on Google images and copied it for the Math teacher here in my building. (I teach Ancient History, I wish I could find a good one for that.)

Kev
    <><

There are other opinions of course but as for me, the only time a bad guy is ever going to know I'm carrying a gun is when he's just about to have a real bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    There are other opinions of course but as for me, the only time a bad guy is ever going to know I'm carrying a gun is when he's just about to have a real bad day.
    Do you OC?

100% with you here!

The variety of possible circumstances make virtually any answer possible, depending on the specific circumstances of the incident.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Originally Posted by wmhawth
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    Do you OC?
    I do sometimes out in the back country camping, hiking, fishing etc. I don't OC in cities, towns or other populated areas. Nothing against those who do of course.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    any scenario is a possibility but youll find that searching for scenarios like the one you describe is the like of searching for a needle in a haystack...

it seems to be the first thought on everyones mind when they think of open carry yet records indicate it has stopped more crime than it has brought about by a wide margin....

if you were the enemy and peeked over hill only to see a large amount of artillary staring you in the face would you continue ofver the hill or pick an easier target?...

I do sometimes out in the back country camping, hiking, fishing etc. I don't OC in cities, towns or other populated areas. Nothing against those who do of course.
    OK, that's what I had guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    it seems to be the first thought on everyones mind when they think of open carry yet records indicate it has stopped more crime than it has brought about by a wide margin.....
    Agreed - I've read of stories of BGs who have left a place they intended to rob because they noticed someone OCing. I have not heard of anyone being targeted first because of OC. Hold on... IIRC, some guy in WI was robbed and relieved of his gun while OCing- think I read about that one on this forum.

My thoughts - OC does more to deter crime than putting a target on your back. With that said - I haven't tried OC (other than out in the hills), but respect those who do.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I carry a reasonable sized Beretta 86 Cheetah, but slightly behind and tilted forward. It's so low key that very few people even notice I have a gun. It's in the open but very low key, more importantly I almost forget it's there which makes other people feel way more comfortable than people do with someone who is conspicuously aware he is wearing a gun with an attitude of trying to prove something. It's not the gun that puts people off, it's the unnatural trying to prove something attitude that often goes with it. I don't feel comfortable around guys who have a weird attitude about carrying a gun, why would people who aren't comfortable with guns in the first place?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links