I wasn't ready for this question

This is a discussion on I wasn't ready for this question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went over the the wife's niece's the other day. Had my 1911 in my crossbreed but not coverd with my shirt, but covered with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I went over the the wife's niece's the other day. Had my 1911 in my crossbreed but not coverd with my shirt, but covered with my coat. ( I have a ccw) It was warm in the house and so I took off my coat. Toured the new house and interacted with the kids too. These are not gun folks but I knew a gun carried in the house was not a big deal. No one said a thing until the three year old tapped my leg and asked why I had a gun! I was shocked she saw it, shocked she knew what it was, and most shocked that she would ask me. I knelt down realizing that my rehearsed "adult" answers would not fit the situation. I said "sometimes bad people want to do bad things and I want to be safe. There are not bad people in your house and you are safe here." Satisified she ran off. I will be prepared better for kids next time.
    Last edited by Timezoneguy; December 20th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

VIP Member

Most times you give a kid a reasonable explanation they are satisfied. Some grown ups are not that easy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

May God bless the children IMO! The children are more intuitive. This is the way. Our children will make us or break us. I sometimes regret not thaving my own.
    Don't be shocked the next time.........the kids know more than we do now. However things come out, our youth are our future. Our youth aren't afraid to ask questions. That's good IMO...........I'm personally hoping for a smarter next generation! God bless the child simply for the innocence. We all know innocence goes away with years.

kpw
    I was asked that question by one of my daughter's friends a couple years ago, in my home. No fear, no reaction to it, just "Why do you have a gun?". Before I could say anything, my daughter said "Because he loves us more than anything in the world." Must have been good enough because she just said "Cool!". Kids are amazing sometimes!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I was asked that question by one of my daughter's friends a couple years ago, in my home. No fear, no reaction to it, just "Why do you have a gun?". Before I could say anything, my daughter said "Because he loves us more than anything in the world." Must have been good enough because she just said "Cool!". Kids are amazing sometimes!
    Kids are our future. Amazing is a description.

Well done. I've found that kids are normally more receptive to simple logic. No one is naturally afraid of guns; it's a learned behavior. I've had many children ask me about my gun, since I have kids of my own, and they have friends who come over to play. The parents ar eusually the ones who are idiots.

Don't question the children seeing a gun on ya......it's at their eye-level. The simple, reasonable explation is always the best.

Gotta love the children...bless their hearts!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Great answer.

I never got a question like that from my GF's kids. They are a bit older and hunt often with their father (I'm a city guy and never hunted), they just want to shoot mine.

Good answer. I told my kids that sometimes bad people do bad things to good people. And I would not let that happen to them.

Of course not long after that my youngest asked me if I was going to bring my gun to protect her dollar. I told her my gun was not for her dollar, it was for something much more important than that. Then I hugged her. She got it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Well done. I've not had the opportunity to try to explain to an inquiring young mind yet. Surprisingly I've been able to keep my GLOCK 19 concealed wrestling with nephews between 4 and 8.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    I went over the the wife's niece's the other day. Had my 1911 in my crossbreed but not coverd with my shirt, but covered with my coat. ( I have a ccw) It was warm in the house and so I took off my coat. Toured the new house and interacted with the kids too. These are not gun folks but I knew a gun carried in the house was not a big deal. No one said a thing until the three year old tapped my leg and asked why I had a gun! I was shocked she saw it, shocked she knew what it was, and most shocked that she would ask me. I knelt down realizing that my rehearsed "adult" answers would not fit the situation. I said "sometimes bad people want to do bad things and I want to be safe. There are not bad people in your house and you are safe here." Satisified she ran off. I will be prepared better for kids next time.
    That was a very good answer for a 3 year old. And the fact that you came up with it on the spot when caught so off guard goes to your credit sir.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You handled it well, and I suspect that the reason she saw it was that to her, that gun on your waist was at eye-level.

Good to start the education young!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

nice response, little kids understand the good guy bad guy thing..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Similar happened to me when I was meeting my fiance and her family at a Wendys in Southern Indiana. I was OC and the 4 year old girl asked me why I had a gun. I gave her a similar answer, there are bad people out there, something she unfortunately knows all to well. She asked me if I wanted to kill them and I said I hope I don't have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links