Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?

This is a discussion on Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wish we could refuse some calls, we go on everything!! In truth that's not too bad and we do provide good service and quick ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?

I wish we could refuse some calls, we go on everything!!

In truth that's not too bad and we do provide good service and quick response ( I think our overall average is three to five minutes for routine calls). It would help for suspicious persons calls if we had more than "he's just suspicious, I haven't seen him before".

The ones that get my goat are:

- You can't get your 8 year old to go to school.

- The burger joint didn't make the burger the way you wanted it.

- The store won't exchange your merchandise without a receipt.

- The landlord won't accept 1/2 of a months rent when your two months behind and he's already served an eviction.

Yeah, all those and lots more

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    I wish we could refuse some calls, we go on everything!!

In truth that's not too bad and we do provide good service and quick response ( I think our overall average is three to five minutes for routine calls). It would help for suspicious persons calls if we had more than "he's just suspicious, I haven't seen him before".

The ones that get my goat are:

- You can't get your 8 year old to go to school.

- The burger joint didn't make the burger the way you wanted it.

- The store won't exchange your merchandise without a receipt.

- The landlord won't accept 1/2 of a months rent when your two months behind and he's already served an eviction.

Yeah, all those and lots more
    I think you just hit on a great topic for a new thread in the LE forum.

I got my pet peeves like "telephone harassment", somebody stole all my pain pills, I cant get my adult child to grow up or do what I want, I can't get my child to respect me even though I'm a drunken welfare suck, I've screwed my life up with continuous poor choices over the last 20 years and the police are lazy donut eaters because they won't fix it for me... I can go on and on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?
    Legally, they are not required to respond to anything.

But they probably will.

Unless it was in a posted prohibited building...it would be a non starter around here.

I can't recall ever being sent on a SWAG call for someone OC in a legal manner. Our dispatch center was pretty good about cutting the wheat from the chaff.

Obviously I had responded to numerous SWAG calls if someone was carrying a shotgun or rifle while trespassing or some other such scenario...but that is a different matter all together.

Here's a very real conversation I once had at Fry's on Grant and Alvernon back in the 90's....I was in the store for a non-related matter. The dialogue is pretty close to what was said IIRC.

"Deputy....that man has a gun".

"Yes, he does. It is legal in Arizona to carry a firearm".

"Well, I don't like it".

"I understand...but sir...what you don't like is not covered in the Arizona Revised Statutes".

"But still...."

"Still, no crime is being committed. He appears to be purchasing kitty litter and other sundries. Shall I arrest him for lousy taste in pets?".

"Can't you make him leave?".

"For?".

"Carrying that damned gun!".

"As I mentioned before sir...he is breaking no law, so no, I can't, nor will I ask him to leave. Only the management of the store can do that, and I am fairly certain they have no problem with it".

"Well...I don't like it."

"Duly noted. You don't like it. We had this part of the conversation already. We can solve the matter easily though."

"How can we do that?"

"You could go to the ABCO across the street."

"You're an a-hole."

"That's not illegal in Arizona either sir. Please have a nice day."
    Erick46590 likes this.

Administrator
    In Pittsburgh - Yes, they are obligated to respond to all MWAG calls.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Infidel View Post
    Unless it was in a posted prohibited building...it would be a non starter around here.

I can't recall ever being sent on a SWAG call for someone OC in a legal manner. Our dispatch center was pretty good about cutting the wheat from the chaff.

Obviously I had responded to numerous SWAG calls if someone was carrying a shotgun or rifle while trespassing or some other such scenario...but that is a different matter all together.

Here's a very real conversation I once had at Fry's on Grant and Alvernon back in the 90's....I was in the store for a non-related matter. The dialogue is pretty close to what was said IIRC.

"Deputy....that man has a gun".

"Yes, he does. It is legal in Arizona to carry a firearm".

"Well, I don't like it".

"I understand...but sir...what you don't like is not covered in the Arizona Revised Statutes".

"But still...."

"Still, no crime is being committed. He appears to be purchasing kitty litter and other sundries. Shall I arrest him for lousy taste in pets?".

"Can't you make him leave?".

"For?".

"Carrying that damned gun!".

"As I mentioned before sir...he is breaking no law, so no, I can't, nor will I ask him to leave. Only the management of the store can do that, and I am fairly certain they have no problem with it".

"Well...I don't like it."

"Duly noted. You don't like it. We had this part of the conversation already. We can solve the matter easily though."

"How can we do that?"

"You could go to the ABCO across the street."

"You're an a-hole."

"That's not illegal in Arizona either sir. Please have a nice day.
    "

You seem to have the patience of this Officer

Erick46590 likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post

You seem to have the patience of this Officer

Yeah...any of the other current and former officers here can tell you that we get THICK skins and learn patience even when dealing with total idiots and clueless morons. Add the the fact that everybody and their brother has a cell phone with video capability...you never know when your ugly mug is going to wind up on the news for making an off-color comment, even if it is on your lunch break having a chat with a brother or sister officer. So....ya learns to be patient and keep your pie hole shut. Besides, I discovered throughout my career....if I stayed reasonable, and held my natural propensity toward sarcasm at bay, I would frustrate a turd more than if I gave them the satisfaction of rattling me.

I had pulled over a snapperhead one night on Ajo and Kinney Road on the outskirts of Tucson, near Old Tucson Studios...she was in a beat up old Camry IIRC....anyway...no tail lights. No biggie, I never was a traffic whore...but I lit her up to let her know she needed to get it dealt with. No written warning...just a "Ma'am...you have no tail lights. There is an Auto Zone just down the road where you can purchase a set of bulbs, and the man behind the counter would probably install them for you...."

When I approached the window she started cussing me a blue streak....yada yada yada. So I lit up the interior of the car.

"Ma'am...I only stopped you tonight to let you know you had no tail lights. I hadn't even planned on writing you a repair ticket. But since we're here...is that a roach I see in your ashtray? Step out of the car."

Most people go to jail because they don't shut up.

Yeah...any of the other current and former officers here can tell you that we get THICK skins and learn patience even when dealing with total idiots and clueless morons. Add the the fact that everybody and their brother has a cell phone with video capability...you never know when your ugly mug is going to wind up on the news for making an off-color comment, even if it is on your lunch break having a chat with a brother or sister officer. So....ya learns to be patient and keep your pie hole shut. Besides, I discovered throughout my career....if I stayed reasonable, and held my natural propensity toward sarcasm at bay, I would frustrate a turd more than if I gave them the satisfaction of rattling me.

I had pulled over a snapperhead one night on Ajo and Kinney Road on the outskirts of Tucson, near Old Tucson Studios...she was in a beat up old Camry IIRC....anyway...no tail lights. No biggie, I never was a traffic whore...but I lit her up to let her know she needed to get it dealt with. No written warning...just a "Ma'am...you have no tail lights. There is an Auto Zone just down the road where you can purchase a set of bulbs, and the man behind the counter would probably install them for you...."

When I approached the window she started cussing me a blue streak....yada yada yada. So I lit up the interior of the car.

"Ma'am...I only stopped you tonight to let you know you had no tail lights. I hadn't even planned on writing you a repair ticket. But since we're here...is that a roach I see in your ashtray? Step out of the car."

Most people go to jail because they don't shut up.
    I had a bowling/golf buddy who was an officer here in town, since retired to FL. He said most of the ticket or no ticket questions were settled by the attitude of the driver.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Here is the scenario; lets say it's a walmart manager who calls 911. ( in an open carry state like Idaho)
    911: this is 911 whats your emergency?
    WM: this is Joe the manager at walmart, I have a customer walking around with a hangun on his hip clearly visible.
    911: Is he threatning any one or doing anything unusual or threating in any way?
    WM: Nope I just had other customers call it to my attention.

If there is nothing threatning, no confrontations, nothing unusual other than a shopper with an exposed gun, is dispatch going send an officer to investigate? Cops help me out here.
    They will in Manhattan.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "That's not illegal in Arizona either sir. Please have a nice day."
    Ohhh, I like that one.

Here is the scenario; lets say it's a walmart manager who calls 911. ( in an open carry state like Idaho)
    WM: this is Joe the manager at walmart, I have a customer walking around with a hangun on his hip clearly visible.
    911: Is he threatning any one or doing anything unusual or threating in any way?

If there is nothing threatning, no confrontations, nothing unusual other than a shopper with an exposed gun, is dispatch going send an officer to investigate? Cops help me out here.

Yes because if something happens with that MWAG and they don't respond they are liable for nonfeasance.
    One more step and it's on!

Ex Member
    If you, wife, or daughter EVER need a LEO fast mention " I THINK he has a gun and he looks deranged." That puts you to the top of the call list E-V-E-R-Y time.

They won't respond to that in San Diego . . . which is in CALIFORNIA!!!!

MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Probably wouldnt be too big a deal if they respond if officers were better trained about the law. At least in my area. Would have made things go better when I was OCing last year and they supposedly got a MWAG call.

Making that video to prove a point was foolish IMHO, it could have possibly rerouted Cops from another important call to respond to his location for a man with a video camera; calling the Cops on himself trying to make his point. SILLY! Then people wonder why Cops sometimes have attitudes.
    Last edited by dripster; January 18th, 2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Grammar usage. I think I got it right.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links