Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?

Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?

This is a discussion on Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the scenario; lets say it's a walmart manager who calls 911. ( in an open carry state like Idaho) 911: this is 911 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?

Question Are cops obligated to respond to a MWAG call?

Here is the scenario; lets say it's a walmart manager who calls 911. ( in an open carry state like Idaho)
    911: this is 911 whats your emergency?
    WM: this is Joe the manager at walmart, I have a customer walking around with a hangun on his hip clearly visible.
    911: Is he threatning any one or doing anything unusual or threating in any way?
    WM: Nope I just had other customers call it to my attention.

If there is nothing threatning, no confrontations, nothing unusual other than a shopper with an exposed gun, is dispatch going send an officer to investigate? Cops help me out here.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, they're going to respond to that call every time.

Because if this is the one time in 10,000 where it's a bad guy, and something happens, the department gets barbecued in the media.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If there is nothing threatning, no confrontations, nothing unusual other than a shopper with an exposed gun, is dispatch going send an officer to investigate? Cops help me out here.
    I'm not a cop but I'll bet that they are not going to risk the liability that could be involved if they didn't respond and someone actually did get hurt or killed.

No they are not obligated to.
    But that doesn't mean they won't
    One of the things I used to teach the call takers was to try to get the caller to identify a law they thought was being broken. If there is no crime (or reason to believe one is imminent) it is not a police matter.
    But of course if the police don't respond and the guy shoots up the place you know CNN will get a copy of the 9-1-1 call and be running it every half hour.
    My old department went back and forth like a yo-yo between having the call takers "processing" complaints and "filtering" complaints depending on how the political winds were blowing.
    As one of the supervisors used to say, " When in doubt, send them out!"
    Of course that was in Maryland so any MWAG that was not wearing a uniform or blaze orange in a hunting area was considered a weapons offense in progress.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

They will respond to all calls.....I have been on some really stupid calls before.......we might take a while to get to them but someone will eventually show up. As far a man with a gun call......oh yeah they will show up to cover their ass even though it is legal to open carry.
    "You fight the way you Train"

VIP Member
    Here is how the scenario would go down here in my town; lets say it's a Wal-Mart manager who calls 911.

WM: this is Joe the manager at walmart, I have a customer walking around without a hangun.
    911: Is he threatning any one or doing anything unusual or threating in any way?
    WM: Nope I just had other customers call it to my attention that he's only person in the store with no gun

If there is nothing threatning, no confrontations, nothing unusual other than a shopper without a gun, is dispatch going send an officer to investigate?

The cops would only arrive if there were clear evidence of a sale on ammo, or they were hungry for a McDonalds hamburger.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Here is how the scenario would go down here in my town; lets say it's a Wal-Mart manager who calls 911.

WM: this is Joe the manager at walmart, I have a customer walking around without a hangun.
    WM: Nope I just had other customers call it to my attention that he's only person in the store with no gun

If there is nothing threatning, no confrontations, nothing unusual other than a shopper without an gun, is dispatch going send an officer to investigate?

The cops would only arrive if there were clear evidence of a sale on ammo, or they were hungry for a McDonalds hamburger.
    Yeah but you are in Yuma......shoot I see people wearing guns all time there like nothing....lol. I like AZ
    "You fight the way you Train"

In AK probably not. Depends on how busy it is, time of day, etc. Dispatchers have some responsibility to determine if a law is being, or potentially being broken.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm not a cop but I'll bet that they are not going to risk the liability that could be involved if they didn't respond and someone actually did get hurt or killed.
    what liability?
    there is no "duty to protect"
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

The liability lies in the public perception of LE not responding to protect people, even if they have no legal responsibility to do so. Almost no LE executive is going to take a chance of a media bar-b-que of his department, when the mere sending of a unit would curtail such problem.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    Obligated? Yes. Required? Debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    what liability?
    there is no "duty to protect"
    Interesting argument, but there is no duty to protect an individual. Protecting society or the general public is a different thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Obligated? NO. Required? NO, AGAIN.

Protecting society or the general public is a different thing.
    Definitely!! And this is done by arresting and punishing the criminals AFTER the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    Interesting argument, but there is no duty to protect an individual. Protecting society or the general public is a different thing.
    Unfortunately this is a problem because the "people" are led to believe that the police are there to protect them and will always respond when called. It's not a very well known fact that general day to day safety and security is the responsibility of the individual.

Can't say that this is normal or not. But I was in the local PD's Comm center a while back when a MWAG call came in. Guy on the side of the road working on his truck and OC'ing. The dispatch went something like this.

White male, blue ford F 150 on 321 S bound, witness reported that they saw a handgun, drive by and check it out if you get a chance.

About 10 minutes later when someone drove through he was gone.

No sirens, no SWAT, no big deal. The dispatcher did not even worry about it. Nobody freaked out.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    What liability? The supreme court has already held that the police have no obligation to protect us mere citizens.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links