OC more effective then i thought - Page 2

OC more effective then i thought

This is a discussion on OC more effective then i thought within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many times I have OC'ed, ran a whole bunch of errands, and no one ever noticed. Trust me, if you dress moderately nicely (like jeans, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OC more effective then i thought

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Many times I have OC'ed, ran a whole bunch of errands, and no one ever noticed. Trust me, if you dress moderately nicely (like jeans, decent shoes, tucked in polo shirt, good holster and a nice belt) no one will even notice. If they do, most of those will think you must be LEO. (NEVER play on that thought if you're not though!) The very, very VERY few who notice, who don't assume you're LEO, and who ask about it will be polite, giving you a chance to be an ambassador for 2A rights.

I normally CC, but at least here in AZ I have never had a bad OC experience.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Mostly people don't notice and those that do want to know how to get permitted. I stopped at fueling station yesterday to get air for tires and was approached for answers to just those questions. The guy began by asking "do you get a lot of flak for carrying that?" All in all a positive encounter, as it is usually. Although last week at Subway I think a GSP trooper got a little nervous at first when he spotted my pocket carry. It was very cold in the south last week so I was not OC but I was carrying my EDC 1911 outside waist band plus a backup. I keep the end of the grip of my G27 slightly above the opening of my jeans pocket when I drive for quick draw. It was still poking out a bit when I got in line for lunch. After quietly acknowledging the statie and returning to my thoughts I think he concluded correctly that I was not there to rob the place and all was well. I'm sure it would have been different had I suddenly become nervous or jumpy.

I've yet to have a freaked out hoplophobe accost me while OC. Let's hope it stays that way.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Cool signature Mogo
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Life has led me to believe that the general public is very unobservant. There are only three groups of people that I believe observe their surroundings with any consistency. Cops, crooks and carriers.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I find that young children are more likely to notice my OC - probably because they are frequently at about eye-level with the grip of whatever I'm carrying that day. Adults rarely notice it, partly because no one expects a woman - especially of my stature - to have a firearm.

One woman noticed it after having a 5 minute conversation with me while we waited in line. When I moved to the cash register, I turned my strong-side toward her, and she was quite amazed that this normal person she'd been talking to had a gun. We had a nice conversation about why I carry, and how most anyone can here in Virginia.

I have OC'ed a Glock 23 in a black SERPA holster on my right hip while wearing beige pants and a white shirt and had no one notice the gun. I am constantly amazed at how many people live their lives in condition white all the time.
    MKEgal likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I think more people notice then you guys think notice. I think it should be said most people don't stare or act like idiots when you open carry.
    FiremanPaul likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I think more people notice then you guys think notice. I think it should be said most people don't stare or act like idiots when you open carry.
    I respectfully disagree. I'm AMAZED at how many people really don't notice.

And how often is it attributed to someone being a plainclothes cop? What's the first question many people ask of an OCer? I think a lot of the mentality is "Oh he has a gun, must be a cop." Especially with a lot of guys carrying black guns like Glocks, M&Ps etc. If one were to walk around with a shiny Kimber in a custom holster from Rocky at Pure Kustom I can imagine it would draw a bit more attention and scrutiny.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    anyone ever have this experience before?
    Most of the time actually. People really don't look or see
    MKEgal likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

When forced to think and not just “go off” most people recognize that criminals do not carry in a holster out in the open... Getting everyone to recognize this will be a great day.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. - RH

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I don't understand the correlation between the title of the thread and the contents of the OP. Would someone be good enough to enlighten me.
    I think he means "more effective *than* I thought".

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I OC a 4 inch revolver in a black nylon holster, had only a few notice, and so far only good reactions. Although cashiers seem more friendly, but that maybe all in my head. Although there is another open carrier here in town, met him in the local grocery, asked him where he got his holster since I just moved and no NONE off the good stores yet. Anyways most either don't notice or react. Haven't had a bad experience yet.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Cool

TerriLi where do you OC in Florida as no laws allowing it outside of while fishing or hunting are currently in effect that I am aware of. Maybe I am missing something.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Dang it, I forgot to change my profile info....sorry I live in Georgia now. Been so since Feb.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links